Anybody seen a price reduction for buying outright?

N2myN2

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Anybody seen any discounts for buying a N2 full price without a wireless plan? I'd like to get a spare if the price would come down.
Rob

kris.richards

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Not brand new, and there won't be for quite some time. The gs3 is still full blown retail price and it came out in July. If you wanna save a few then get one off of eBay, craigslist, swappa or the marketplace here.

Sent ala my Note Dos on Big Red

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The note 2 price won't drop anytime soon. Cheapest way to get it new is to start a new line of service at best buy, pm to dell at $130, and get the $50 gc, if you signed up for it before. Then pay etf right away of $350, then you are at $430 for an out of contract note2.

Imo, this is better than paying $700, though requires a little more work. Still, I think that it is well worth the substantial savings.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Not brand new, and there won't be for quite some time. The gs3 is still full blown retail price and it came out in July. If you wanna save a few then get one off of eBay, craigslist, swappa or the marketplace here.

Sent ala my Note Dos on Big Red

You can get a new one for $430 using the method I described above, or perhaps slightly more. IMO, better option than buying used as used doesn't legally carry warranty for second users. Verizon may still warranty it if you bought it second hand,but me personally, I wouldn't risk it,especially since I don't see the savings in this case.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've seen the GS 3 for well below retail. New Egg has it for $540 and I've seen it lower at other places for awhile now. I'm probably going to just buy the Note 2 for full price at Verizon so I can keep unlimited. Oddly enough Verizon is the cheapest place I have seen to buy it full price at $699.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I've seen the GS 3 for well below retail. New Egg has it for $540 and I've seen it lower at other places for awhile now. I'm probably going to just buy the Note 2 for full price at Verizon so I can keep unlimited. Oddly enough Verizon is the cheapest place I have seen to buy it full price at $699.

Is the Verizon version of the gs3 $540?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

MrVeda

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a good idea but don't you still get a bill with pro rated fees a month later? What do you mean by canceling right away? You mean like a day later with Verizon once you buy at BestBuy? Thanks for the tip!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
$599 for the 16gb S3. Verizon discounts nothing, the Rezound is 650 outright on their site.

It takes a long time to drop in retail price. The charge dropped to $500 ish a year or so after release. Some devices may never drop.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
i bought my note 2 using the "get an additional line" deal but it only saved about $100 (I did the ETF after about a week, when I found out that taxes on a $10 line were $7.12 /month). the next Note 2 I bought outright for my wife as it wasn't worth the hassle to me, to deal with a temporary extra line. money isn't that tight for us that I would opt for annoyance, hassle, or time, over a bit extra outlay.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
i bought my note 2 using the "get an additional line" deal but it only saved about $100 (I did the ETF after about a week, when I found out that taxes on a $10 line were $7.12 /month). the next Note 2 I bought outright for my wife as it wasn't worth the hassle to me, to deal with a temporary extra line. money isn't that tight for us that I would opt for annoyance, hassle, or time, over a bit extra outlay.

Buy it for $100 at best buy pm to. Sams club. Then pay etf of $350.total would be $450. Retail price for the Note 2 from Verizon is $700,so $250 is substantial savings, to me at least. If you signed up for the $50 gc, you may qualify for that too.

MrVeda

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Buy it for $100 at best buy pm to. Sams club. Then pay etf of $350.total would be $450. Retail price for the Note 2 from Verizon is $700,so $250 is substantial savings, to me at least. If you signed up for the $50 gc, you may qualify for that too.

So you buy today from BestBuy and then cancel the line with Verizon the next day? No other charges or pro rations?

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Where are you seeing this $100 Price tag I called and checked online - Upgrade - New Line - are all showing roughly 248.99 + tax at Samsclub? and the Grey shows it is ONLINE only price.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So you buy today from BestBuy and then cancel the line with Verizon the next day? No other charges or pro rations?

You need to cancel within 3 days to get a refund on the activation fee,if charged. You may be prorated for 1 day of usage, for example if you are adding a line to a family share plan, it would be $10 line charge +$30 data charge, for $40 total monthly fee. Prorated to one day, it would be $1.33. If you cancel the next day, you may be charged 2 days, or $2.66.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Where are you seeing this $100 Price tag I called and checked online - Upgrade - New Line - are all showing roughly 248.99 + tax at Samsclub? and the Grey shows it is ONLINE only price.

The $100 price is in store only at sams club. It was still good as of earlier this week, i bought another note 2 at Best Buy pm to sams club on Tuesday at $100.

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I had thought about this. Now with it being illegal to unlock your phone, how do you get around to using the phone. I am pretty sure AT&T or T-mobile won't unock your phone if you pay the ETF fee right away.
The note 2 price won't drop anytime soon. Cheapest way to get it new is to start a new line of service at best buy, pm to dell at $130, and get the $50 gc, if you signed up for it before. Then pay etf right away of $350, then you are at $430 for an out of contract note2.

Imo, this is better than paying $700, though requires a little more work. Still, I think that it is well worth the substantial savings.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I had thought about this. Now with it being illegal to unlock your phone, how do you get around to using the phone. I am pretty sure AT&T or T-mobile won't unock your phone if you pay the ETF fee right away.

This is a Verizon Galaxy Note II forum, and the Verizon galaxy Note II is factory sim unlocked, and works on all gsm carriers for voice and text. Verizon did lock the apn so you wouldn't get data, however, you can follow the procedure here if you plan to use the Verizon galaxy Note II on a gsm network

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2044449

I don't frequent the other carriers note 2 forums, but it is my understanding that att and tmobile note 2 does come sim locked, so it would be illegal to unlock those phones yourself while under contract. But again, not applicable to the Verizon galaxy Note II, since it comes factory sim unlocked.

MrVeda

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
You need to cancel within 3 days to get a refund on the activation fee,if charged. You may be prorated for 1 day of usage, for example if you are adding a line to a family share plan, it would be $10 line charge +$30 data charge, for $40 total monthly fee. Prorated to one day, it would be $1.33. If you cancel the next day, you may be charged 2 days, or $2.66.

Cool thx. Sorry to labor on the point but are you canceling with BestBuy or directly on the phone to Verizon?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Cool thx. Sorry to labor on the point but are you canceling with BestBuy or directly on the phone to Verizon?

I would just call Verizon directly. Your contract is with verizon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke