Stock 4.1.1 Email, like Galaxy Nexus

mpjune69

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
First, I'd like to say a BIG THANKS to all the other posters and the developers on this site. With help from other users and developers, I've learned to root, load custom ROMs, restore bricked devices, etc. I can follow directions, but that's about it. I don't understand how all the root tools, etc. are made (probably never will) but have been rooting and modding since my Incredible 2, then my GNex (took a fatal swim in saltwater last week) and now my Note 2.

I'd like to replace Samsung's email client with a stock Google client - to be more specific, the client that was in 4.1.1 on my GNex.

I've searched for quite awhile, and can't seem to find just the email apk. If it's possible to pull apks from factory image files, I'd like to eventually learn how to do that.

SO...can someone either point me to the right post of spot to get the 4.1.1 email (if that's even possible to load on a Note 2)?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

current device: Verizon Note 2, completely stock

mpjune69

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Sorry - to be more specific, NOT rooted, build JRO03C.I605VR5ALL4 (shouldn't have downloaded the "update", I know...)

First, I'd like to say a BIG THANKS to all the other posters and the developers on this site. With help from other users and developers, I've learned to root, load custom ROMs, restore bricked devices, etc. I can follow directions, but that's about it. I don't understand how all the root tools, etc. are made (probably never will) but have been rooting and modding since my Incredible 2, then my GNex (took a fatal swim in saltwater last week) and now my Note 2.

I'd like to replace Samsung's email client with a stock Google client - to be more specific, the client that was in 4.1.1 on my GNex.

I've searched for quite awhile, and can't seem to find just the email apk. If it's possible to pull apks from factory image files, I'd like to eventually learn how to do that.

SO...can someone either point me to the right post of spot to get the 4.1.1 email (if that's even possible to load on a Note 2)?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

current device: Verizon Note 2, completely stock

mpjune69

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Short answer - yes. Mine is hopelessly saltwater-soaked, but my son has a stock GNex.

Does a possible solution require my Note 2 be rooted? Or is it possible without being rooted?

Thanks for responding.

BTW, I want the stock Google email because keyword searches on Samsung's email client seem to be limited to what's on the phone vs. searching mail on the server. I tried using both the pre-configured setting and manual setup.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Short answer - yes. Mine is hopelessly saltwater-soaked, but my son has a stock GNex.

Does a possible solution require my Note 2 be rooted? Or is it possible without being rooted?

Thanks for responding.

BTW, I want the stock Google email because keyword searches on Samsung's email client seem to be limited to what's on the phone vs. searching mail on the server. I tried using both the pre-configured setting and manual setup.

If it were to work yes you would need to be rooted. But I don't think it would be as just as installing it on the phone. If someone has a rooted and could get me the apk ill try it. Or if there is a stock cwm flashable file I can just grab it from there

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

mpjune69

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
OK...if getting the stock Google email client isn't that easy...

Is there another email client that will search the server's content, not just what's on the phone?

Or - is there a setting in Samsung'client that will do the same thing?

Thanks!