Launcher opinions/side effects?

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Over the weekend I finally got fed up with having such a nice large screen on my new Note 2 but only having the same number icon spaces on my home screen as my old crappy Thunderbolt so I installed Nova Launcher Prime.

So far I love it. I have a 6x5 grid on my homescreen with 7 items in the dock at the bottom. SO much more efficient. However, I'm starting to notice some of the negative side effects of using a launcher.

1. Multi-window seems completely gone.
2. Removing the S-Pen on the home screen no longer launches S-Note or whatever, and I no longer get the additional S-Pen home screen automatically. I'm assuming something similar will happen for headphones.
3. Unread bubbles no longer appear on the stock email and messaging icons. I was able to download the add-on for Nova Prime and so far so good with that.

Anything else negative I should be aware of when using a launcher like Nova? I'm still debating on whether or not I want to keep using it. I really don't need or want much customization, I just want more icons on the home screen and dock. If that was a built-in option on Touchwiz I'm be a happy camper.

etbooker

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm grappling with the same issue as you are I can't seem to make a decision in either having Samsung's functionality or Nova Launcher's cool extra features. Right now I'm using Touchwiz but my opinion somehow always changes on which launcher I want to use.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

etbooker

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
By the way you can activate multi- window by holding down on the back button regardless of which launcher you are using.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
By the way you can activate multi- window by holding down on the back button regardless of which launcher you are using.

thanks, I forgot I disabled it in the settings.

It still boggles my mind that Samsung would manufacture a 5.5" HD phone and only offer a 4x4 grid homescreen.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
1. Multi-window seems completely gone.
Just hold down on the back button to activate multi-window feature.

2. Removing the S-Pen on the home screen no longer launches S-Note or whatever, and I no longer get the additional S-Pen home screen automatically. I'm assuming something similar will happen for headphones.
Go into your settings => S Pen settings and you will see where this stuff can be activated. Adding a launcher can sometimes change your default settings. But these launchers do not remove any of the TouchWiz functionality as far as I know.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
actually I didn't have the S Pen setting for the pop up note, just the "Page Buddy" option turned on. The auto pop up note does seems to work, however, the page buddy does not.

adlerrot

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I have tried most of the launchers and keep going back to go launcher. If you press on a screen a grid comes uop and you can add mutiple icons at once. It is the only launcher that I find that feature. It does a 6 X6 grind on my vzw note 2

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that really bothers me about Nova is you have to get the paid version to get folders and unread icons. Not gonna happen.

Joshua O

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Not sure when or how this happened, but I was thinking the same thing. I have been trying to turn off the page buddy feature because I am tired of Rocket player popping up everytime I attach my earphones. I was wondering if it was NOVA Prime causing the inconvenience. BTW, I am running 4.1.2

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I use apex launcher and love it. I use gestures to open my most used apps, camera and so on. S note doesn't open when I remove the pen but if I double tap on the screen with the pen with the pen button held in then it opens s note.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that really bothers me about Nova is you have to get the paid version to get folders and unread icons. Not gonna happen.

I'm just wondering why you wouldn't pay to get the features you want? Is it just that you don't want the features that bad? I'm only asking because I do have the paid version and it's really a great launcher. They obviously worked and continue to work hard on it. They deserve to get paid for their time.

Please don't take this as me attacking you for your choice. I'm just always curious as to why someone doesn't want to pay for something they say they value.

Sent from my Really Big Phone

Josphe72

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I have Apex pro installed but I am using go launcher ex. It flows better and is more functional than Apex IMO but I dont use the wallpapers or gaudy, cartoonish themes they offer.

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm just wondering why you wouldn't pay to get the features you want? Is it just that you don't want the features that bad? I'm only asking because I do have the paid version and it's really a great launcher. They obviously worked and continue to work hard on it. They deserve to get paid for their time.

Please don't take this as me attacking you for your choice. I'm just always curious as to why someone doesn't want to pay for something they say they value.

I have an issue with paying for apps, just a personal thing. I paid $699 for the phone, I don't need to spend any more on top of my monthly payment. I've never needed any app so bad that I would pay for it. I understand that it's chump change for great features, but I'm content with what it has. Although folders and icons are basic features that should be included, imo.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have an issue with paying for apps, just a personal thing. I paid $699 for the phone, I don't need to spend any more on top of my monthly payment. I've never needed any app so bad that I would pay for it. I understand that it's chump change for great features, but I'm content with what it has. Although folders and icons are basic features that should be included, imo.

Fair enough. I do believe you can make folders with the stock samsung launcher. It's not as nice imo as nova though. But that's why I pay for Nova Launcher. Also, I was just checking out Go Launcher after not using it for a few years. It looks they have made some interesting improvements to it. I may have to check it out. It's Free! Although they get you on all of the add ons if you chose to use those.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Not sure when or how this happened, but I was thinking the same thing. I have been trying to turn off the page buddy feature because I am tired of Rocket player popping up everytime I attach my earphones. I was wondering if it was NOVA Prime causing the inconvenience. BTW, I am running 4.1.2

You can control that in Rocket player settings.

Sent from my SCH-I605

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363300742420.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363300742420.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 49

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I have an issue with paying for apps

I don't really understand - if paying gets me more functionality or just gets rid of annoying ads I'll always pay.
What's the point of having only half of an App?

I paid nearly 10$ collectively on 3 Apps pretty much just to get GLOBAL Badge Notifications (those red #'s like on iOS) because there was no free alternative & limiting it to only SMS / Calls / GMail using other Launchers wasn't enough...but that's me.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site

So what you are saying is that because you bought the phone, the app developers, who don't make money from the sale of phones, don't deserve to be paid for their work? Flawed logic IMO. It makes me wonder how you get paid for the work you do? I would ask that you at least reconsider paying for quality apps that you could benefit from.

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't really understand - if paying gets me more functionality or just gets rid of annoying ads I'll always pay.
What's the point of having only half of an App?

I paid nearly 10$ collectively on 3 Apps pretty much just to get GLOBAL Badge Notifications (those red #'s like on iOS) because there was no free alternative & limiting it to only SMS / Calls / GMail using other Launchers wasn't enough...but that's me.
I'm not using apps and games all day enough to pay for them. It's just not worth it for me. And those notifications should be standard on all the apps in the stock UI. An app should not be needed to enable that functionality. Anyway, for some reason I'm enjoying Nova sans the notifications, keeps it clean.

Fair enough. I do believe you can make folders with the stock samsung launcher. It's not as nice imo as nova though. But that's why I pay for Nova Launcher. Also, I was just checking out Go Launcher after not using it for a few years. It looks they have made some interesting improvements to it. I may have to check it out. It's Free! Although they get you on all of the add ons if you chose to use those.

Yeah, I know TouchWiz has the functionality but it's not as visually appealing as Nova.

So what you are saying is that because you bought the phone, the app developers, who don't make money from the sale of phones, don't deserve to be paid for their work? Flawed logic IMO. It makes me wonder how you get paid for the work you do? I would ask that you at least reconsider paying for quality apps that you could benefit from.

They totally do deserve to be paid, that is not what I said. But if a free app provides the functionality that I need then I will chose that. Between my BB's, iPhone, and few androids I've only purchased one app that I barely use. Also, had Nova not been free I would not have even looked at it (which I'm sure they still make money off of). Call me a cheap skate, but I'd rather spend the money on a good cup of coffee.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

The way I see it, someone (or a group of people as is likely in Nova's case) work very hard to make an app that you wish to use. Sure there's a free version of it, and you probably don't care enough for the features that the paid version provide, but developers like the ones who make Nova deserve something in return for their hard work. They continually put out updates that make your phone that much more enjoyable. They do not get a dime of that $699 you paid for the phone, nor do they get a cut from your monthly service provider bill. They are at the end of the day, Android users like us, who have the know-how to step up and increase the users experience in a good way.

That's my take on it. Not trying to lecture but really, they deserve it. Also if you can afford to buy a flagship device off contract on the most expensive carrier in the United States, I think you can afford to skip a mocha latte from Starbucks for one day :eyeroll:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12