if the store is selling VZW Note 2 for $0, can I buy it and pay $350 ETF to own it free and clear?

maryhalltworound

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
if the store is selling VZW Note 2 for $0, can I buy it and pay $350 ETF to own it free and clear?
(plus the $35 activation fee that VZW charges, plus a couple of weeks of service)

okay... not really $0... it's actually $49.99, but I have a $50 gift card.

If my math is not wrong, this means I can get it for a little more than $425. Still much better
than paying $799 full retail, no? Or is my math wrong?

fwhomeboy

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
(plus the $35 activation fee that VZW charges, plus a couple of weeks of service)

If my math is not wrong, this means I can get it for a little more than $425. Still much better

That sounds like Fuzzy Math to me !!!

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site

You're paying $350 (ETF), at least $30 (activation) + Setup fee + Whatever else they can hit you with legally (taxes, line surcharges, etc). Call a Verizon store and ask what the full setup comes out to or do it online. PLUS, Verizon phones are useless anywhere else. I think you can pickup Voice/3G data but you're not going to jump on another LTE network with a Verizon phone.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Are you looking not to be bound to a contract? That would make sense to me.

maryhalltworound

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Some of the retailers like Amazon wireless and Walmart hit you with an additional fee of $400 if you do that before 181 days.

I don't believe Best Buy does that...at least they never did on the last 4 phones I bought from them during the last two years
but have to check... especially since their revised their return policy on March 2(?).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You're paying $350 (ETF), at least $30 (activation) + Setup fee + Whatever else they can hit you with legally (taxes, line surcharges, etc). Call a Verizon store and ask what the full setup comes out to or do it online. PLUS, Verizon phones are useless anywhere else. I think you can pickup Voice/3G data but you're not going to jump on another LTE network with a Verizon phone.

The activation fee will be waived if canceled within 3 days. There is no setup fee other than the activation fee. The charges would be prorated for the time used, so just cancel the same day

Also, certain retailers may have a secondary etf, Amazon has a $400 etf on top of the carriers $350 etf.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/faqs/Wireless Service/ctia_checklist.html

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
got my note 2 at verizon store for (on launch day) $299. negotiated activation fee down to $20. Opened a new line (because I have unlimited). cancelled new line in a few days to avoid paying $17.12/month for a line plus taxes for two years. paid the cancellation fee of $300-something. bottom line, I only saved $100 by not buying the phone outright. next note 2 I bought was for my wife and I just bought it outright to avoid all the rigmarole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX