S pen scratching screen?

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a screen protector on my phone because I was afraid that the s pen would scratch the screen. I usually don't use screen protectors. Can anyone that doesn't have a screen protector and uses the s pen frequently tell me if they've seen an issue?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
No issues here. I actually put a screen protector on and had bad results.

Verizon protector scratched from the SPen in first use.

SGP scratched after several uses but don't remember how many.

Glass looks perfect. Only way the SPen will scratch is if something abrasive gets caught on the tip and hits the screen but I've yet to see this.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Are you OCD about even the most minute scratches on your screen OP?

If so, never go without a screen protector. They're cheap, easy to apply, and last quite awhile. Plus you can rest assured knowing that even the most ugly scratches will just peel off when you replace the protector with a new one.

I am using the Verizon protector as well and can echo that I am seeing scratches on it. As much as I love the feel of this phone naked, I will never give up my Seidio case and screen protectors. Maaaaybe way down the line when I replace it and use it as a mini tablet on WiFi, but until then no chance :)

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
No I'm not OCD about minor scratches. I fully expect that with no protection. I'm planning on using the s pen a lot and worry that it will mark my screen up

I've never liked screen protectors but this time it's awful. The guy who installed it touched the adhesive side with his bare hands. So there are permanent fingerprints under the protector

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
No I'm not OCD about minor scratches. I fully expect that with no protection. I'm planning on using the s pen a lot and worry that it will mark my screen up

I've never liked screen protectors but this time it's awful. The guy who installed it touched the adhesive side with his bare hands. So there are permanent fingerprints under the protector

What brand? Because as I said my experience is the Verizon protectors scratch on first contact but my screen is scratch free. I use a pocket pouch when its in my pocket otherwise its naked.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I would never go completely naked as Gorilla Glass does scratch but maybe use at least a flip cover or pouch. But in regards to SPen it will not scratch the screen unless something is on the pen.

I feel like the flip case would get annoying. Having to open it every time I get a text or something. I have the verizob case that has a built in kickstand

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I feel like the flip case would get annoying. Having to open it every time I get a text or something. I have the verizob case that has a built in kickstand

I agree about the flip case, took me all of two whole seconds to realize that was not a viable option. Honestly it's not a case so much as it's a screen protector when you're not using the phone.

The Verizon cases that actually fill the role of being a case, I also felt were lacking. There's so many better options for looks and durability out there.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree about the flip case, took me all of two whole seconds to realize that was not a viable option. Honestly it's not a case so much as it's a screen protector when you're not using the phone.

The Verizon cases that actually fill the role of being a case, I also felt were lacking. There's so many better options for looks and durability out there.

I agree, I stopped using it did to the fact I always had to open it. I'm more of s pocket pouch style guy anyways and mine is Note II branded.

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I currently have a screen protector on my phone because I was afraid that the s pen would scratch the screen. I usually don't use screen protectors. Can anyone that doesn't have a screen protector and uses the s pen frequently tell me if they've seen an issue?

Absolutely no problem.

Ridin' a Note 2 blast

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I suppose it would make sense that the pen wouldn't scratch. Since it is made by the manufacturer.

Actually the stylus is made by Wacom. But you would expect that it wouldn't scratch the screen if Samsung had any forethought in trying to avoid replacing millions of screens. Something they could easily check when developing the device. BTW, Wacom is a long time, noted digital stylus and companion digitizing pad maker.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Actually the stylus is made by Wacom. But you would expect that it wouldn't scratch the screen if Samsung had any forethought in trying to avoid replacing millions of screens. Something they could easily check when developing the device. BTW, Wacom is a long time, noted digital stylus and companion digitizing pad maker.

Then I think I'm safe

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Then I think I'm safe

Well, not quite. As Eclipse2k said above it's not the PEN that scratches the screen but tiny particles that get stuck between the pen knob and the glass. When you slide those particles across the screen, say a dirt or sand particle, THEN you will scratch the screen. This is almost completely unavoidable unless you wipe your screen and pen tip off every single time you go to use the phone, and only use your phone in some kind of air-tight quarantine space lol

Point is, you go without a screen protector and you will get scratches. No matter what Gorilla Glass or super duper anti-scratch proof glass you use, it will happen. If you don't mind seeing lines scattered all over your screen, go naked. Just don't be in shock when one day you hold your screen under a light and feel your heart skip a beat ;)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, not quite. As Eclipse2k said above it's not the PEN that scratches the screen but tiny particles that get stuck between the pen knob and the glass. When you slide those particles across the screen, say a dirt or sand particle, THEN you will scratch the screen. This is almost completely unavoidable unless you wipe your screen and pen tip off every single time you go to use the phone, and only use your phone in some kind of air-tight quarantine space lol

Point is, you go without a screen protector and you will get scratches. No matter what Gorilla Glass or super duper anti-scratch proof glass you use, it will happen. If you don't mind seeing lines scattered all over your screen, go naked. Just don't be in shock when one day you hold your screen under a light and feel your heart skip a beat ;)

I think its time we see Sapphire screens. :D

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Indeed lol shame it's too expensive to really mass produce on things like Samsung phones just yet.

I would pay a premium for this. Go ahead and charge more. No more botched screen protector installations. No more scratched screens. Spend the money up front for the Sapphire screen and never sorry about it again. Any time you have to put a cheap piece of plastic over a $700 smartphone just so the glass stays pristine is unacceptable. Especially if you keep it in a pocket by itself and its pocket sand that damages it.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I absolutely agree and would definitely pay for it. Unfortunately it's the manufacturers who decide if it goes in from the get go. I wouldn't buy a Sapphire "screen protector" to slap ontop of my actual screen though. At that point, why bother?

Hopefully Samsung steps up to the plate and eats the cost so we can see it on the Note 3.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae