03-22-2013 09:52 AM
29 12
tools
    A lot of people have this misconception about updating a phone. It's not always about wanting to fix things that are wrong. It's about looking forward to exciting new features, performance inprovements, battery life increases, etc. Android 5.0 is almost surely going to have something interesting to make us want that update, and I'm sure the 4.2.2 update will be nice too. May even include a Samsung version of Photosphere. Is that not something to look forward to?

Why wouldn't people want an update that brings new additions to your phone? I don't get that mind set.
    I don't know what photosphere is. I'm very happy with my battery life. If an upgrade comes I'll be happy but I'm not gonna make myself miserable over when or if its gonna come. To be honest, after rooting my thunderbolt and flashing ROMs almost every day sometimes multiple timed, its kind of nice to have a stock phone that has everything I need or want in a phone

sent from viper's note 2 using tapatalk
    03-20-2013 10:52 PM
    A lot of people have this misconception about updating a phone. It's not always about wanting to fix things that are wrong. It's about looking forward to exciting new features, performance inprovements, battery life increases, etc. Android 5.0 is almost surely going to have something interesting to make us want that update, and I'm sure the 4.2.2 update will be nice too. May even include a Samsung version of Photosphere. Is that not something to look forward to?

Why wouldn't people want an update that brings new additions to your phone? I don't get that mind set.

It's not that simple of just getting new features and asuming improved performance. There is risk involved in any update, especially a major OS version one, of causing performance or operational issues with a device that was otherwise previously working very well and had few if any issues. More often than not a factory (master) reset is needed to get things working right again. That's a PITA even for me (a power user) who is well prepared for it with backups of data and config settings. I can't imagine how stressful it could be for an average user. Also with a major OS upgrade there can be app compatibility problems that you suffer through while app developers catch up and fix their stuff. In the end it's a risk to benefit thing that one would be wise to evaluate.
    03-20-2013 11:21 PM
    When you write "forswear" do you mean you lose S Pen capability? Is Cyanogenmod a form of rooting? Thanks in advance

- - - Updated - - -

When you write "forswear" do you mean you lose S Pen capability? Is Cyanogenmod a form of rooting? Thanks in advance
    03-22-2013 01:41 AM
    Yes, running a custom ROM (which requires a rooted device) like Cyanogenmod (which is not based on Samsung's Touchwiz overlay) means you would (most likely) lose S Pen functionality, along with all the other TouchWiz features like multi-view, etc. There are workarounds to get these features to work, or to load other apps that perform similar functions, but this is not quite the same thing as having the built-in features working as was intended by Samsung.

One benefit (for some) of running a custom ROM like AOKP/Cyanogenmod is that you can run the latest version of Android pretty soon after it is released by Google, if the developers put together a version that is compatible for your specific device. So for some, the trade-off is worth it. Losing built-in mfg features in favor of running the latest version of Android (many) months ahead of when the device might actually get an official version.
    03-22-2013 09:52 AM
29 12