The problem I am having with the Facebook app is whenever I log into the app a thing pops up asking about Contacts sync. After picking Sync all, Sync w/ existing contacts, or Don't sync (I just pick whatever since I just want to get into Facebook ) I finally am able to get into Facebook. The question that I am asking is, is there a way to bypass or better yet make it STOP all together?! I just want to get into Facebook and not deal with this interruption you know.
    03-27-2013 10:48 PM
    The problem I am having with the Facebook app is whenever I log into the app a thing pops up asking about Contacts sync. After picking Sync all, Sync w/ existing contacts, or Don't sync (I just pick whatever since I just want to get into Facebook ) I finally am able to get into Facebook. The question that I am asking is, is there a way to bypass or better yet make it STOP all together?! I just want to get into Facebook and not deal with this interruption you know.
    It happens to me as well. But only if I have logged out of the app and occurs upon logging it. No solution thus far for me.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA
    03-27-2013 10:49 PM
    I don't want to leave my Facebook on all the time, meaning not log out of it. I am not sure if I didn't log out that it will use up my data.
    03-27-2013 10:50 PM
    Just use the mobile site. Works better anyway.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.
    ferndog75 likes this.
    03-27-2013 10:56 PM
    It happens to me as well. But only if I have logged out of the app and occurs upon logging it. No solution thus far for me.

That depends if you allow push notifications or auto sync. I personally stay logged in 9 times out of ten and haven't seen an increase in data useage, but on that same note, I have 6gb of data and WiFi availability at my fingertips. You can manage mobile notifications by going to account>account settings> notifications> mobile push.

ferndog75 likes this.
    03-27-2013 10:59 PM
    Different question now....if I were to not log out of Facebook and just push the "Home Button" to get out of the app, will it continue to use my data?
    03-29-2013 07:06 PM
    Different question now....if I were to not log out of Facebook and just push the "Home Button" to get out of the app, will it continue to use my data?
    Have you tried to change your refresh interval to 'never' in the settings of the Facebook app?
    03-29-2013 07:30 PM
    It is always advised that you back out of an app to fully exit it by hitting the back key.

gnr_2 likes this.
    03-29-2013 07:38 PM
    It is always advised that you back out of an app to fully exit it by hitting the back key.

why is this? ive always just hit the home button as well
    03-29-2013 10:14 PM
    This was an issue the a Facebook update supposedly fixed I know it did for me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    03-29-2013 10:46 PM
    why is this? ive always just hit the home button as well
    Because phones equipped with multitask will sometimes continue to run the app in the background. Consider Pandora.

03-29-2013 10:59 PM
    Because phones equipped with multitask will sometimes continue to run the app in the background. Consider Pandora.

Apps like that I always just paused the music and then hit home button. Its interesting I've never heard this before, but its good to know

sent from viper's note 2 using tapatalk
    03-29-2013 11:15 PM
    Apps like that I always just paused the music and then hit home button. Its interesting I've never heard this before, but its good to know

sent from viper's note 2 using tapatalk
    It was presented to me in my "quick tips" upon first booting of this device. I often have to go to task manager and kill Pandora manually even after pausing because even though it doesn't continue to play music, it will sometimes continue to run in the background. That may just be a problem with compatibility with my device though, as it often freezes up.

03-29-2013 11:25 PM

Now I don't think this will stop Facebook from using my data. I tried just pushing the back button but you can tell that it is using my data by looking at the arrows under the 4G or wifi symbol.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    03-30-2013 07:34 PM
    Now I don't think this will stop Facebook from using my data. I tried just pushing the back button but you can tell that it is using my data by looking at the arrows under the 4G or wifi symbol.

It won't stop facebook from using your data if you have push notifications enabled but it will exit the app completely instead of just adding it to the background.

03-30-2013 07:57 PM
    It won't stop facebook from using your data if you have push notifications enabled but it will exit the app completely instead of just adding it to the background.

So I do have push notifications off for Facebook and by what you said this will stop the app from using any data?
    03-30-2013 09:53 PM
    So I do have push notifications off for Facebook and by what you said this will stop the app from using any data?
    Ok, backing out of an app instead of clicking the home button insures that the app is dead instead of running in the background which can save battery and data if you have background data enabled. If you stay logged into facebook, turn off push notifications, set refresh interval to never/ manual, and turn off background data. This should insure that facebook will not use your data until you are ready for it to.

03-30-2013 10:36 PM
    Ok, backing out of an app instead of clicking the home button insures that the app is dead instead of running in the background which can save battery and data if you have background data enabled. If you stay logged into facebook, turn off push notifications, set refresh interval to never/ manual, and turn off background data. This should insure that facebook will not use your data until you are ready for it to.

So when I turn off background data for Facebook, will I have to turn it back on when I start using the app again? Or does it even matter?

03-30-2013 11:41 PM
    So when I turn off background data for Facebook, will I have to turn it back on when I start using the app again? Or does it even matter?

No, stopping background data will only prevent your phone from running apps that use data in the background. As long as your mobile data is turned on, you can access your data as much as you want with background data turned off. When you exit the app, if it is pushed into the background, it will not suck data.

ferndog75 likes this.
    03-31-2013 01:55 AM
    No, stopping background data will only prevent your phone from running apps that use data in the background. As long as your mobile data is turned on, you can access your data as much as you want with background data turned off. When you exit the app, if it is pushed into the background, it will not suck data.

Thank you very much Jennifer, for ALL the help! I am glad you stuck with this newb.

03-31-2013 12:05 PM
    Thank you very much Jennifer, for ALL the help! I am glad you stuck with this newb.

No problem, best of luck :-)

03-31-2013 12:14 PM
    Hitting the home button leaves every app you had open running. The back arrow is the only way to close out an app(besides task manager), and some apps will stay running still. I thought this was smart phone 101 and everyone knew to use the back arrow

sent from Galaxy Note 2
    03-31-2013 01:04 PM
    Sounds like some newbies from the Apple would

sent from Galaxy Note 2
    03-31-2013 01:05 PM
    Sounds like some newbies from the Apple would

sent from Galaxy Note 2
    Some people are new to smart phones, some switch from apple, and some just don't know the full potential of their devices. No need to be rude about it.

gnr_2 likes this.
    03-31-2013 08:04 PM
    I wasn't being rude. Just poking fun. It's hard to type sarcastically

sent from Galaxy Note 2
    gnr_2 likes this.
    03-31-2013 08:16 PM