PdaNet Not Connecting! PLEASE HELP

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I purchased the full version of PdaNet over a year ago and used it between my laptop and Thunderbolt phone (worked great). I believe it has become PdaNet/Foxfi now. I have had the Note 2 for about a month and just went to try and use PdaNet to bring Internet to my laptop and it won't connect???

I did download the newer 4.0 version to my laptop and do have debugging checked to 'on' on the Note 2..... any help would be greatly appreciated as June Fabrics (developer) just sends me to a help website!

My Phone is Not Rooted, and I do not want to Root it.

Update....I get it to connect but then it drops the connection and a window pops up saying to Run "Tool Launcher-Bootstrap.exe" above that it says Verizon mobile tools?????? This does not look like a good thing!

Last edited:

jbarrymck

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I used to tether with the cable to my Thunderbolt. The new PDANet+ allows you to tether wirelessly for free. They merged it with FoxFi. If you download the PDANet + app, when you open the app, at the bottom it has a place for you to unlock the full version if you bought the original PDANet app. This won't put a time limit on your connection. Now you can create a Wifi network from your phone that your laptop will be able to pickup and connect to. I would reboot my laptop before you connect. The first couple times I had difficulty connecting. It also takes about a minute or so for my laptop to connect and start working. Should work pretty easily after that though, and better than having to use a cable to tether.
Good Luck.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes I did buy the full version a couple years ago. I did unlock it on my note2. I know they merged (PdaNet+Foxfi) not sure how that would change it for me. .... Anyway, so are you saying I should check mark 'hot spot' and not 'tether' on my phone?

When I did try to tether it would connect and then drop within seconds! I would love to be able to connect to laptop in the car wireless! So if I check 'hotspot' in pdanet on my phone. I am not setting up a VZW connection $$, right?

Margie
Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

jbarrymck

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you want to check the Activate WiFi Hotspot. It will say activate WiFi Hotspaot activated and a red symbol in the notification bar. That is how it should look, and you will NOT be charged for Hotspot. I have been using FoxFi, and now PDAnet+ for several months, and I have unlimited data, and have not been charged any additional fees.

Last edited:

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you want to check the Activate WiFi Hotspot. It will say activate WiFi Hotspaot activated and a red symbol in the notification bar. That is how it should look, and you will NOT be charged for Hotspot. I have been using FoxFi, and now PDAnet+ for several months, and I have unlimited data, and have not been charged any additional fees.
Ok great, that's exactly what I needed to know. I will try it when I get back to my laptop tomorrow. That would be awesome and it should work. Thank you so much for your help!

Margie

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
For anyone looking for a Free app there is "Portable WiFi hotspot free" and it works perfectly. Same as PDANet but there is no restrictions on connectivity and data usage like in the free version.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
For anyone looking for a Free app there is "Portable WiFi hotspot free" and it works perfectly. Same as PDANet but there is no restrictions on connectivity and data usage like in the free version.
Thank you and will keep that in mind. I did actually buy/pay for the full version of PdaNet about 2 years ago. ... so no restrictions for me.

Margie

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok just tried this and at first it wasnt working. .... um duh, I didn't realize I needed to change my laptop to the Foxfi connection! Once I did that it did connect my laptop to Internet from my phone and I am thrilled now that it is without the USB Cable!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you soooooo much! Can't tell you how much I appreciate the HELP!

One more question if you would be so kind......I see from your screen shot that you have a password on yours.... Do I need to do that? How? And Is there a way to make my connection private? As it said others might see my connection? Thank you again Jbarry!!

Margie

tclubb

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
To put a password (WPA2) just click under the Password and enter your password. I would use this feature to keep your hotspot secure. One more thing to keep in mind, if you update your phone to Jellybean PdaNew+ hotspot will not work anymore.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
To put a password (WPA2) just click under the Password and enter your password. I would use this feature to keep your hotspot secure. One more thing to keep in mind, if you update your phone to Jellybean PdaNew+ hotspot will not work anymore.
??? My phone (Galaxy Note 2) came with Jelly Bean and I did get the PdaNet/Foxfi to work today.

jbarrymck

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have Jelly Bean on both the GS3 and my Note 2, and have had no problems with PDANet+.

jbarrymck

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
.I see from your screen shot that you have a password on yours.... Do I need to do that? How? And Is there a way to make my connection private? As it said others might see my connection?
Your Welcome Margie. The password is not necessary, but a good idea when you are in a public are so no one can hog your bandwidth. As tclubb stated, just select the password and type in your own. Darn it!!!, now you know mine, so please don't use it :p;
I use this to connect to my tablets as well. This is the most useful App I have bought yet!

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Your Welcome Margie. The password is not necessary, but a good idea when you are in a public are so no one can hog your bandwidth. As tclubb stated, just select the password and type in your own. Darn it!!!, now you know mine, so please don't use it :p;
I use this to connect to my tablets as well. This is the most useful App I have bought yet!
Ok that's what I thought. I will definitely password protect it!
I would Never use your password....Just not that type of person! And I appreciate that you helped me soooooo much! There were like 200 views to my post and you were the only one that helped! Guess no one besides us use this app! Hehe!

You might want to try and edit your post and try to either cover up the password or try to remove the screen shot pic. Yes, I agree that this app is fabulous and that was when I even had to use the cable! You made it even Better for me now! Thanks again, I am truly grateful!

Margie

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
PdaNet via a USB cord from phone to a laptop is so..........yester-year. Do yourself a favor and see if you can download either Foxfi or PdaNet+ so you can do wireless tethering, as in no USB cord required. Wireless tethering means you can also tether multiple devices via your phone, whereas USB cord tethering can only provide internet access for 1 device. Once you do wireless tethering, and see the light, you will never go back to USB cord tethering. I know this from experience having used PdaNet via a USB cord many years ago with the old Palm Treo smartphones. Was a cool thing way back then, but wireless is the in thing now. So much better! Good luck!

jbarrymck

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
PdaNet via a USB cord from phone to a laptop is so..........yester-year. Do yourself a favor and see if you can download either Foxfi or PdaNet+ so you can do wireless tethering, as in no USB cord required. Wireless tethering means you can also tether multiple devices via your phone, whereas USB cord tethering can only provide internet access for 1 device. Once you do wireless tethering, and see the light, you will never go back to USB cord tethering. I know this from experience having used PdaNet via a USB cord many years ago with the old Palm Treo smartphones. Was a cool thing way back then, but wireless is the in thing now. So much better! Good luck!

Dude, try reading the whole thread, before posting!!

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz