04-14-2013 09:55 AM
38 12
tools
    Just picked up a Note 2 yesterday......and WOW

Coming from a Galaxy Nexus this thing is a beast, I love the size and the battery life is amazing.
    I was half tempted to leave Verizon and go to T Mobile or AT&T just to have the Nexus 4 but there service sucks in up north Michigan so I gave this phone a try....and it will not be going back.

Now the question is; How long can i go with out root?
    Right now i am happy with this phone and Apex Launcher (I don't think that will last long)

So this is just a heads up.......you will be seeing my ugly mug around this part of Android Central for awhile to come.

Damn this phone is slick
    kashk5 and lpt2569 like this.
    04-02-2013 04:34 PM
    This is the ultimate phone IMO. I've had it since launch day and have been in love with it ever since and I've still not had any thoughts of rooting it.

Sent thru cyber space by my Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    bakerbert likes this.
    04-02-2013 04:47 PM
    Welcome! I've had mine since December and I'm still stock. This is the best phone I've had, hands down.

I'm still as in love as the day I got it!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    bakerbert likes this.
    04-02-2013 05:01 PM
    I have never rooted. I love it the way it is. I am stock. I do use dolphin as my browser tho. Always have

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2
    bakerbert likes this.
    04-02-2013 05:23 PM
    Rooting just for the hotspot is worth it. You don't need to mess with the voltages at all. The battery is the best stock battery I have had on
    a phone.
    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    bakerbert likes this.
    04-02-2013 05:51 PM
    I'm also new Note 2 owner as of today. I'm coming from the iPhone 4 and I must say I am loving it so far. One minor thing is I cannot get the Accuweather widget on the home screen to update. Anyone have advise for that?

Thanks,

Daniel
    bakerbert likes this.
    04-02-2013 05:54 PM
    Thank you all for the warm welcome.

@djroy03
    click on the accu weather widget > click menu button > settings > auto refresh and set it to what you would like.
    04-02-2013 06:02 PM
    Congrats! And welcome. I've had mine since launch (Nov. 2012), paid full retail for it (to keep unlimited data) and have absolutely no regrets! It IS an awesome phone, worth.every.penny IMO!

I'm still on the stock ROM (works great), but rooted mainly for a few tweaks:

1. Use AdAway with the MVPS blocking hosts file (blocks known malicious websites as well as ads) - Note: Google removed it from the Play Store, but you can get it from the dev here: ad-away - AdAway - Open source ad blocker for Android - Google Project Hosting
    2. Enable infinite scroll on home screens and app drawer. See http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...e-screens.html
    3. Freeze the OTA updater. Phone works great as is, will evaluate any future updates to see if worth updating or not.
    4. Use full functions of backup apps (ex. MyBackup Pro)
    bakerbert and universeand like this.
    04-02-2013 06:11 PM
    I'm also new Note 2 owner as of today. I'm coming from the iPhone 4 and I must say I am loving it so far. One minor thing is I cannot get the Accuweather widget on the home screen to update. Anyone have advise for that?

Thanks,

Daniel
    Congrats and welcome as well! I'd highly recommend Beweather instead. Much more functional (ex. make the background transparent) and IMO uses a much better weather source: Weather Underground (from my experience Accuweather isn't very accurate).

Here is the link for Beweather: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...therfree&hl=en
    bakerbert likes this.
    04-02-2013 06:23 PM
    Rooting just for the hotspot is worth it. You don't need to mess with the voltages at all. The battery is the best stock battery I have had on
    a phone.
    If on share plan hotspot is free. I use it a lot with my tablet

bakerbert likes this.
    04-02-2013 06:25 PM
    Welcome... I came from a Galaxy Nexus myself and picked up a Verizon Galaxy Note 2 off of eBay about 2 weeks ago....I think I had it in my hand about 15 mins before I rooted/ROM'd it with Beans11. Yes you are correct, this is by-far the best phone that I've ever had as far as size, screen, speed and especially battery life. The longest day on battery so far has been 1day/9hrs/31 mins.... with 12% left.

As of now, I have no interest in upgrading this phone anytime soon... good luck with yours...
    bakerbert and lpt2569 like this.
    04-02-2013 08:01 PM
    Welcome and congrats to the new Note 2 owners here! I've had mine since Feb. and hands down is the best phone I have ever owned! I don't even worry about my battery anymore as the note 2 battery is amazing! I use the S Pen for everything! Love Love Love this phone!

Margie
    Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
    bakerbert, lpt2569 and Jude526 like this.
    04-02-2013 09:14 PM
    New Note owner as of this morning Have been lusting after it since launch and finally caved. Loving it so far... still learning.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums
    lpt2569, Jude526 and bakerbert like this.
    04-02-2013 09:21 PM
    New Note owner as of this morning Have been lusting after it since launch and finally caved. Loving it so far... still learning.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums
    Me too! Much to learn and use! Unlike that iPhone I had.. nothing new to experience there.
    bakerbert likes this.
    04-02-2013 09:58 PM
    I suppose I'll chime in here also as a new Note 2 owner as of last week. I came from the Rezound and was looking for a bigger screen and better battery life. Waited to see what the S4 had to offer but wasn't impressed. Loving the battery life, screen size, and the Spen. Didn't think I would use the Spen that much but have been using it everyday. Used it the other day to design an amp rack and sub box. This might just be the best phone I've ever owned.

lpt2569, bakerbert and Jude526 like this.
    04-02-2013 10:44 PM
    Congrats and welcome to the club to all the new Note 2 owners!

Sent from my SCH-I605
    bakerbert likes this.
    04-03-2013 12:13 PM
    I purchased the note 2 a couple of weeks ago and have been reading all the posts on the forum. So far the phone has been fantastic and I am really glad I switched from a iphone 4s. What a difference between the phones. it is amazing. I am still learning all the note 2 can do, it is more like have a computer than a music player for a phone. Haven't decided on whether to root the phone or not. I did on a droidx a couple of years ago and somehow an update got installed and I thought I had bricked the phone. I am enjoying the forum and all the helpful info I see posted. Thanks for the help everyone.
    bakerbert, lpt2569 and djroy03 like this.
    04-03-2013 02:57 PM
    I left mine stock for about 3 weeks then rooted and moved to cleanrom. Once dashclock came out I was motivated to move to aosp ROMs. Currently on cm10.1 and really like it. There are enough apps in the play store that mimic the spen apps. The only thing I miss is the camera software from touch wiz

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    04-03-2013 07:31 PM
    Am keeping mine stock. Have had since Jan 10th. I do use tho thumb keyboard. Like it a lot. Came from Rezound as well. This is the best phone

04-04-2013 04:15 PM
    Like the OP I came from a Galaxy Nexus about a week ago. I went through all the many ROMs available for the Nexus and have grown somewhat tired of the nightly downloads. The only compelling reason to root would be to use Titanium backup. But now that Carbon Backup can backup app data without rooting that's not really necessary.

I have unlimited data with the hotspot plan and am a very happy camper right now. At first I thought the phone too larger but now I'm mostly comfortable with it. Some one-handed things are no longer possible (like changing a Pandora station with the right hand only) but for the most part I can get around pretty good with one hand.
    04-04-2013 04:25 PM
    I am proud of my self.....I made it ten days with out rooting and that was enough.
    I am now rooted and running Jelly 'beans' build 12 ROM.
    Flashing stuff is fun and i missed it.
    lpt2569 likes this.
    04-10-2013 06:51 PM
    This phone is awesome! It's the first Android phone I haven't rooted. In the past I was always rooting my devices for better battery life, faster performance, ability to take screen shots, wifi tether, and a few other tweaks. This phone takes care all of that.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk
    lpt2569 likes this.
    04-10-2013 07:38 PM
    Just added a line to my Verizon Share Plan to experience this awesome phone, Note 2. I have been an Apple fan boy since day 1 and am coming from the iphone 5! What a difference. Huge learning curve, but so far I am loving it. I love the screen size and all the customizations for it that Apple would never allow. Im free!!!!! Any MUST have apps?

Thanks

Carlissa
    04-12-2013 08:57 AM
    Interesting how many females own/want to own Note 2s!
    04-12-2013 09:12 AM
    Why do you find that interesting? Just curious.
    04-12-2013 09:16 AM
38 12