verizon to start financing phones

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
What a deal. You get to pay a finance charge, you get no break on the cost of a plan, and you get no subsidy. I can understand why Verizon likes this; I can't understand why any customer would. Verizon's continued success seems to be a perfect example of the old saw "There's a sucker born every minute*."

*Often attributed, wrongly, to P.T. Barnum.

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
im sure there are lots of people who will take advantage of this. it allows them to own a phone they likely couldnt afford at full price and doesnt tie them to a contract. the finance charge only adds up to $30 extra over teh course of the year, and here is something im sure you didnt think of, but im guessing a lot of the people who already pay full price to keep their unlimited data, probably put the phone on a credit card. some of them probably paying more in interest than the 2.50 finance charge.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
im sure there are lots of people who will take advantage of this. it allows them to own a phone they likely couldnt afford at full price and doesnt tie them to a contract. the finance charge only adds up to $30 extra over teh course of the year, and here is something im sure you didnt think of, but im guessing a lot of the people who already pay full price to keep their unlimited data, probably put the phone on a credit card. some of them probably paying more in interest than the 2.50 finance charge.

If you are willing to do a bit of work, you can do the ETF method which may yield significant savings. For example, buy a Verizon Note 2 from Best Buy for $200 on a new line of service, pay $350 etf, and one days service of about $5 for $555. This compared to $700 + $30 service fee or $730. Best Buy will finance 18 months interest free, plus you can get Best Buy rewards.

If saving $175 isn't worth an hour or less of time, then by all means, use the Verizon payment plan method.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
If you are willing to do a bit of work, you can do the ETF method which may yield significant savings. For example, buy a Verizon Note 2 from Best Buy for $200 on a new line of service, pay $350 etf, and one days service of about $5 for $555. This compared to $700 + $30 service fee or $730. Best Buy will finance 18 months interest free, plus you can get Best Buy rewards.

If saving $175 isn't worth an hour or less of time, then by all means, use the Verizon payment plan method.

Didn't know about this but I'm also fine with having a contract in exchange for subsidized pricing. I got my note 2 for $98 but yeah, etf is cheaper than Verizon financing

sent from viper's note 2 using tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Didn't know about this but I'm also fine with having a contract in exchange for subsidized pricing. I got my note 2 for $98 but yeah, etf is cheaper than Verizon financing

sent from viper's note 2 using tapatalk

The best deal was when Sams club had it for $99,best buy would price match, and you could get the $50gc on top of that for $50 total. I lucked out, they messed up the price match so I got my Note II for $37. But best buy doesn't price match contract phones anymore. Though, you may get lucky, a store might do it, just that it isn't corporate policy anymore.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463