Rooting?

ferndog75

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm debating wether to root or leave as is. I like to know from you guys which rooting method to go with. Which rom to go with and finally, why I should be rooting in the first place!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

ferndog75

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I suggest you visit the root section.

I have done that but it just was too much for me. :-\ Hey I'm a noob when it comes to doing something like this. I just want to be put in the right direction and not F up my Note 2, besides I heard some of these rooting methods were not good to use anyways.

Jerry-O

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I thought there was a security update that nuked the simple root method and we had to do it the manual way now?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I thought there was a security update that nuked the simple root method and we had to do it the manual way now?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

i dont know. that video was from march 17. im not rooted, but i saw that video and thought it may be helpful

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I have done that but it just was too much for me. :-\ Hey I'm a noob when it comes to doing something like this. I just want to be put in the right direction and not F up my Note 2, besides I heard some of these rooting methods were not good to use anyways.

Well since you're talking about ROMs, I think the casual exploit by Adam is still the way to go.
As to what ROM, that's a choice. I prefer CleanROM, but meanbean ICE looks to be a lot like it. I'm currently on beans until Scott can fix the lockscreen issue with CleanROM 4.8.
Those ROMs are touchwiz so you'll have the same functionality as stock with several additional features.

Then there are the aosp ROMs which remove the touchwiz functionality, but give you theme engines, touchscreen buttons like other Android handsets, and you can assign other features to all of the buttons, and many other features.

If you decide to unlock your bootloader and use custom ROMs, just make a nandroid backup of the current ROM and try as many as you like.
Once you're unlocked flashing ROMs is almost as simple as rebooting.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm debating wether to root or leave as is. I like to know from you guys which rooting method to go with. Which rom to go with and finally, why I should be rooting in the first place!

I think the best thing to ask yourself is why you want to root. Rooting your phone does not necessarily imply that you're going to replace the ROM. Once rooted you can do things that you don't have access to now. For example you can use Titanium backup to backup up apps and their data. However, with Carbon Backup, it's no longer necessary to be rooted to backup apps and their data.

The most common thing people do once rooted is change the boot loader which then allows them to replace the ROM.

Because the Note has a lot of special features built into Touchwiz there are two paths to travel if you decide to replace the ROM. Path 1 sheds TouchWiz altogether and leads toward a more generic Android installation. If you take that path you may lose a lot of TouchWiz functionality revolving around S-Pen, Multi-screen, gestures, etc. Explore this path with eyes wide open before you go down it.

Path two is to install a ROM that is based upon TouchWiz so that you don't lose the Samsung features but gain more flexibility and control.

The beauty of rooting and ROMming is that if you don't like a particular ROM you just install another one.

If you're really serious about installing a ROM then you need to get out of the noob mode. You need to really immerse yourself into the process. You need to find the right forums to help you when you make a mistake and you feel panic welling over your mind. Because, believe me, you will make a mistake. I've been rooting and ROMming my phones and tablet for the better part of 3 years now and have had my share of blunders. But there's a great safety net of support out there and there's no better place than the XDA Forums because this is where the ROM developers hang out.

While it only takes minutes to root, I suggest you spend hours studying the process including watching YouTube videos. You're doing surgery on your phone and you don't want to kill the patient out of ignorance.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Once you travel this road you'll wonder why you waited.

ferndog75

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I think the best thing to ask yourself is why you want to root. Rooting your phone does not necessarily imply that you're going to replace the ROM. Once rooted you can do things that you don't have access to now. For example you can use Titanium backup to backup up apps and their data. However, with Carbon Backup, it's no longer necessary to be rooted to backup apps and their data.

The most common thing people do once rooted is change the boot loader which then allows them to replace the ROM.

Because the Note has a lot of special features built into Touchwiz there are two paths to travel if you decide to replace the ROM. Path 1 sheds TouchWiz altogether and leads toward a more generic Android installation. If you take that path you may lose a lot of TouchWiz functionality revolving around S-Pen, Multi-screen, gestures, etc. Explore this path with eyes wide open before you go down it.

Path two is to install a ROM that is based upon TouchWiz so that you don't lose the Samsung features but gain more flexibility and control.

The beauty of rooting and ROMming is that if you don't like a particular ROM you just install another one.

If you're really serious about installing a ROM then you need to get out of the noob mode. You need to really immerse yourself into the process. You need to find the right forums to help you when you make a mistake and you feel panic welling over your mind. Because, believe me, you will make a mistake. I've been rooting and ROMming my phones and tablet for the better part of 3 years now and have had my share of blunders. But there's a great safety net of support out there and there's no better place than the XDA Forums because this is where the ROM developers hang out.

While it only takes minutes to root, I suggest you spend hours studying the process including watching YouTube videos. You're doing surgery on your phone and you don't want to kill the patient out of ignorance.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Once you travel this road you'll wonder why you waited.

DAMN!! That is THE answer I was looking for! I wanted someone to tell me straight forward of how its going to be! I thank you TabGuy for the response, although you made it a little bit more difficult for me to decide to stay with stock or go ahead and root. I understand the whole consequences of it all, but then I see the whole fun and joyment that all the "rooters" are having! I will investigate more into this and go from there. You have really opened my eyes TabGuy, I can't thank you enough for the response, you are one of the reasons why I like coming to these forums, not that everyone hasn't giving me GREAT advice already! :D THIS FORUM ROCKS!!!

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
DAMN!! That is THE answer I was looking for! I wanted someone to tell me straight forward of how its going to be! I thank you TabGuy for the response, although you made it a little bit more difficult for me to decide to stay with stock or go ahead and root. I understand the whole consequences of it all, but then I see the whole fun and joyment that all the "rooters" are having! I will investigate more into this and go from there. You have really opened my eyes TabGuy, I can't thank you enough for the response, you are one of the reasons why I like coming to these forums, not that everyone hasn't giving me GREAT advice already! :D THIS FORUM ROCKS!!!

Try to view videos about installing and running some of the various ROMS, like Jelly Bean, Cyanogenmod, etc. Many of the videos give you a really good look at them. DroidModderX has good ones.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

here are some guides to help you answer the "why" part:

http://m.androidcentral.com/root

http://google.about.com/od/socialtoolsfromgoogle/a/root-android-decision.htm

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.