I'm sure glad I chose the Note 2 over the HTC One

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I didn't buy my Note 2 until I saw information about the HTC One and the Galaxy S4. Mine was a decision based upon demos of those two and the features of them all. I gotta say I was attracted by the looks of the of the HTC One and some of the features are impressive. But, having visited with a friend who has an HTC One my decision to get the Note 2 has been affirmed. Here's what I learned about the HTC One from my friend.

- Battery: It's horrible. He says it's exhausted by around 2pm every day. He needs to be tethered to a wall wart. At a party he has to hang out with the iPhone folks near the wall plug. With no replaceable battery this is unacceptable. He suspects that the HiDef 1080p screen sucks a LOT of battery time. More than his previous phones. What makes him suspicious of this is that HTC removed the "Screen Time" panel from the Battery settings page. They appear to be afraid to let you know how much juice that screen is really using.

- He keeps the brightness way down to try to keep the battery last longer, so the benefit of a beautiful bright HiDef screen is diminished. Even with that his battery is toast at 2pm.

- He's in a constant "save battery" mode. He turns off GPS most of the time, he keeps bluetooth off most of the time, and he turns off wifi when he leaves the building. It's a lot of work for him just to get to 2pm.

- Sound. Yes, it has front facing speakers. I think that should be in all phones. But he says that even though there are two of them they're too close together to really distinguish stereo. They do sound better, he says, but maybe that's just because they're facing forward.

- Heat. He says the sucker gets really hot. Maybe that unibody aluminum back isn't dissipating the heat properly?

All in all, I'm very happy I chose the Note over the HTC One. I leave my screen at full brightness all day. I also leave wifi, gps and bluetooth on all day and never have to worry about battery. The Note 2 is as it should be.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Although I was never considering the One (had my Note 2 since last Nov.), I was just looking at one in the store today and was not impressed at all by the aluminum body. It just didn't feel "premium" as most say it does. It also felt too small. I just can't see going back to anything smaller, so used to the size of the Note 2 now. :p. And I absolutely refuse to consider a phone with a sealed/embedded battery!

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I really wasn't waiting for the HTC one. I got my Note 2 after the S4 announcement. Happy as can be. No regrets.

Sent from my amazing Note 2!

Necrocis

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I didn't buy my Note 2 until I saw information about the HTC One and the Galaxy S4. Mine was a decision based upon demos of those two and the features of them all. I gotta say I was attracted by the looks of the of the HTC One and some of the features are impressive. But, having visited with a friend who has an HTC One my decision to get the Note 2 has been affirmed. Here's what I learned about the HTC One from my friend.

- Battery: It's horrible. He says it's exhausted by around 2pm every day. He needs to be tethered to a wall wart. At a party he has to hang out with the iPhone folks near the wall plug. With no replaceable battery this is unacceptable. He suspects that the HiDef 1080p screen sucks a LOT of battery time. More than his previous phones. What makes him suspicious of this is that HTC removed the "Screen Time" panel from the Battery settings page. They appear to be afraid to let you know how much juice that screen is really using.

- He keeps the brightness way down to try to keep the battery last longer, so the benefit of a beautiful bright HiDef screen is diminished. Even with that his battery is toast at 2pm.

- He's in a constant "save battery" mode. He turns off GPS most of the time, he keeps bluetooth off most of the time, and he turns off wifi when he leaves the building. It's a lot of work for him just to get to 2pm.

- Sound. Yes, it has front facing speakers. I think that should be in all phones. But he says that even though there are two of them they're too close together to really distinguish stereo. They do sound better, he says, but maybe that's just because they're facing forward.

- Heat. He says the sucker gets really hot. Maybe that unibody aluminum back isn't dissipating the heat properly?

All in all, I'm very happy I chose the Note over the HTC One. I leave my screen at full brightness all day. I also leave wifi, gps and bluetooth on all day and never have to worry about battery. The Note 2 is as it should be.

His phone needs replaced.

uploadfromtaptalk1367300687998.jpg

Sent from my HTC One

whitecollar

May 5, 2011
Visit site

Glad you got the one you wanted, and had enough time to decide.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
The HTC One will be my next phone since I love Sense UI and the hardware is pretty decent too; however, it took several months for me to want to give up an extended battery and microSD/HC card slot before I wanted the phone. They made an extended battery case for the HTC One, and since I'm a heavy user, I need this.

Now to cope with no microSD card slot...

Sent from my HTC Vivid BoRKed using Android Central Forums

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Well if you want to get it on Verizon you may soon be able to do so. Verizon just made the HTC One official. It will be out later this summer according to their @VZWnews twitter page.

Posted via Android Central App

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Interesting, i always heard the battery was pretty good, just not as good as Samsung's latest offerings.

Sounds like he has a bad battery. A expensive problem to fix thanks to non removable battery. Such a simple problem should be taken care of simply by switching out a battery by the user.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have had 3 HTC devices. Unfortunately they all ended up having issues. I am thrilled with Samsung

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Hero, Og Evo, EVO lte and now The One plus my daughter's s3. None of them had any major issues.

My Samsung Instinct, HTC Diamond and my daughter's Intercept were tied for the biggest pos's I ever had

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

underdonk

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
His phone needs replaced.
Sent from my HTC One

Totally off topic here, but when did we start dropping "to be" from the English language? Needs upgraded. Needs rebooted. Needs replaced. I've noticed people at work starting to do this over the past several months and it drives me nuts.

Ok, done. Sorry.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Totally off topic here, but when did we start dropping "to be" from the English language? Needs upgraded. Needs rebooted. Needs replaced. I've noticed people at work starting to do this over the past several months and it drives me nuts.

Ok, done. Sorry.

I have too lol haha. I've even done it a couple times and I saw it on ncis lol. But it's a toss up in Nov between the one note2 and the s4.

Sent from my Galaxy Victory LTE using Tapatalk 2

kurosenpai

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I've been a galaxy note user for a year and very happy with it. Battery was dead and replaced a few month ago. But that was my fault though, playing Kairosoft games for like 5 hours while charging. Damn you Kairosoft for making addictive games. I tend to charge it overnight too.

Anyways I was tempted to buy HTC One, like so tempted i was so close to withdraw my money from one of the nearest ATM machine. Thank god I read this review though. Thinking of buying Note 2 or the S4 but kinda scared that "goodies" that were extreamly advertised aren't as expected. Highend smartphone ain't cheap.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jussumguy88

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I think the HTC one Is a great phone. I love a lot about it, but I feel like the note 2 will stand the test of time and is overall a better device. Anybody who has a note 2 is at least a decent decision maker in my eyes. Lol

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I wonder what the difference is between the OP's friend's version and all of the posters that are getting through full days with 40%+ left. Obviously something major is happening differently.

jonathan2677

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm not knocking any phone I own a one and a s4 as far as batt life I am a heavy user and make it through the day no problem with screen up and hard use, I'd have your friend return his, as far as heat when using it gets the same temp as my s4 you so feel it more because the metal but it cools faster than my s4 I'm glad your happy but I wouldn't use your friends one as a example the way it sounds

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Not trying to convince anyone from getting a note 2, s4 or any other phone but i would like to offer my opinion about The One vs the OP's "friends" experience.

1st I'm sure the Note 2 gets better battery life. I take my One off charge at 5am (i'm a construction foreman) and i'm home from work around 5pm. In that time i'm usually on the phone with super's, truck drivers and contractors and depending on weather i'm checking radar now and then. I also take photo's of work preformed and email them to myself so i have documentation of said work. Check my facebook periodically also check in with life360 to make sure my daughter made it to school. By the time i get home from work i'm at about 60% battery left Usually plug in at that point just to keep from getting to low.

I have my screen on 100% brightness, gps on and data always on. I dont have wifi or bluetooth on just because i dont need it.

The only time my phone heats up is when streaming video for a while or long navigation sessions. I usually dont turn on nav till i'm near my destination.

Granted many people use their phone's more but i'm a moderate user and the battery on The one absolutely last's.

Just my two cents, like i said i'm not trying to convert anyone but give a bit of perspective as far as real life use