NOTE: I am writing this on behalf of my husband. I am in no way attempting to bash the note 2 or Samsung in anyway. I am simply hoping to get some advice to get my husband's phone back on track.

Ok, so we bought my husband's note 2 the beginning of february, and it the beginning it was a beast. Super fast, no stuttering or laggy animations, it really held its crown as one of, if not the, best smart phones on the market. Minus a few issues like failing to connect to the play store and the screen not rotating right, it was like lightening and my husband was in love. Lately he finds himself disappointed because in the last three weeks his phone has become very sluggish. Pressing the home button from an app or browser does nothing on many occasions, and requires a second and sometimes third click. On the third click, recent apps will pop up and require an additional click to maneuver to the home screen. Transitioning between screens is slow and often takes a few seconds for the apps to load, and for the Samsung weather clock to appear and display the correct time. We tried backing up his data and doing a reset, but even after that the phone is still noticeably slow. He doesn't have any pictures, videos, notes, documents, or movies on his phone, and only has about 10 or so third party apps, all of which are high name apps like Netflix, hulu, Pandora, etc. And have never had a negative effect on his phone before. His phone is not rooted or unlocked, is completely stock and with the newest ota. The problems persisted both before and after the ota. I have tried clearing the cache of the different apps that are running slow, but nothing seems to be working. Does anyone have any advice on what we can do to get his phone back in an order that he will be content with?

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA
    05-05-2013 09:53 PM
    I would of thought the factory reset would of cleared it up...

Only other thing I could think of is unlocking it, and doing a "restore to stock" flash on it as if you were running a custom ROM and wanted to unroot/return to factory stock. That would completely 100% clean the phone up because you would be using Odin which wipes the device completely unless otherwise noted by the developer of the package your flashing.
    05-05-2013 09:58 PM
    I would of thought the factory reset would of cleared it up...

Only other thing I could think of is unlocking it, and doing a "restore to stock" flash on it as if you were running a custom ROM and wanted to unroot/return to factory stock. That would completely 100% clean the phone up because you would be using Odin which wipes the device completely unless otherwise noted by the developer of the package your flashing.
    Would he have to root his phone in order to do that? I assuming we did a factory reset...went to settings> backup> reset, or something along those lines. Wiped his homescreens and made him relog into his gmail, redownload apps, etc.

05-05-2013 10:01 PM
    Another thought.. How did you perform the factory reset? Via options in the Settings or using the factory/stock recovery? Might be worth trying to boot into the factory/stock recovery which some cases has a WIPE option, then follow thru with the factory reset which is usually one of the other options within stock recovery.
    Jennifer Stough likes this.
    05-05-2013 10:01 PM
    Another thought.. How did you perform the factory reset? Via options in the Settings or using the factory/stock recovery? Might be worth trying to boot into the factory/stock recovery which some cases has a WIPE option, then follow thru with the factory reset which is usually one of the other options within stock recovery.
    Via the options in settings. How would I get around to maneuvering the phone into boot mode? I'm pretty much a noob to most things technical.

05-05-2013 10:03 PM
    And my husband is even more technologically incompetent than I am. Would it be in the manual?

05-05-2013 10:04 PM
    Would he have to root his phone in order to do that? I assuming we did a factory reset...went to settings> backup> reset, or something along those lines. Wiped his homescreens and made him relog into his gmail, redownload apps, etc.

No you wouldn't have to root the phone.. If you were to look in the Rooting forums for the Note II here, you should find the information necessary to perform the restore to stock.

Odin which would be used ( a separate application ran on your desktop/computer) would wipe the device and flash the factory images back on the device.

Its worth considering if all other options have failed. Even going into Verizon for repair/help from the tech department they will just do a factory reset and send you on your way....
    05-05-2013 10:04 PM
    How would I get around to maneuvering the phone into boot mode?
    FROM A POWERED OFF STATE...

Press and hold the Volume UP+Home+Power buttons until a recovery mode screen appears.

Use Volume Up and Down keys to toggle these options.
    reboot system now
    apply sdcard:update zip
    wipe data/factory reset
    wipe cache partition

This should show you a blue screen with white print. This is the same recovery that is used by Verizon or Samsung, even you to manually do these things and/or flash an official approved software update.
    05-05-2013 10:08 PM
    No you wouldn't have to root the phone.. If you were to look in the Rooting forums for the Note II here, you should find the information necessary to perform the restore to stock.

Odin which would be used ( a separate application ran on your desktop/computer) would wipe the device and flash the factory images back on the device.

Its worth considering if all other options have failed. Even going into Verizon for repair/help from the tech department they will just do a factory reset and send you on your way....
    Yeah, he has plans to eventually root, but we are waiting until our warranty is up to do that on pur phones. So if no root is required I will definitely give it a looksee. He is trying to avoid the Verizon method as he doesn't have much time during the day for anything, much less standing in line at a corporate store to be told its something we are imagining. (I called tech support and they said that the animations for Samsung are naturally a little on the slow side and if we did a factory reset and the problem persisted, that unless there is a hardware issue that requires a replacement or repair, we must be mistaken.)

05-05-2013 10:10 PM
    Thank you so much for the information. We will try one or both of these methods tomorrow after his birthday party and let you know what the outcome is.

Paul627g likes this.
    05-05-2013 10:12 PM
    Yeah that is standard procedure from any repair tech at the carrier stores. The most they will do is a factory reset and send you on your way.. From there its a fight to get them to recognize it as a hardware issue that they will address and replace.

I would give the manual boot into recovery method a shot, use the cache wipe option, follow up with a factory reset from within there and see what happens..

Load his device back up slowly, play with it at first before doing much and see if its indeed possibly the device or after you start restoring things back to his likings..

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you so much for the information. We will try one or both of these methods tomorrow after his birthday party and let you know what the outcome is.

Your welcome.

You've provided a bunch of help around here yourself to others so its nice to return the favor.

Good luck !
    05-05-2013 10:13 PM

I doubt these will make much, if any difference, it sounds like there are bigger issues, unfortunately. But its worth a shot.

1. You can try setting the animation speeds to 0.5 or off, see if that helps any.

settings->developer options->window animation scale/transition animation scale/animator duration scale

Set all of these to 0.5x or off

2. turn off s-voice "Open via the home key" option in the settings of the s-voice app

Good luck!
    05-06-2013 08:45 AM
    One thing I wouldn't do is unlock the boot loader unless you want to run one or more custom ROMs (they modify/replace the Samsung look and feel and phone control software). If the above advice regarding doing recovery wipes and a reset fails, and Samsung (have you called Samsung directly) or Verizon won't service or replace it, then and only then would I flash a stock ROM from xda-developers.com (might want to try the "alternate (alternative) restore" stock file which has no root added. See the Restore to 100% stock thread in the Verizon Galaxy Note 2 ROM sub-forum for guidance in flashing the stock ROM.
    05-06-2013 11:02 AM
    A factory reset should fix it. If not a replacement should be given to your husband

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    05-06-2013 04:52 PM
    Lots of great advice here. Just remembered that the S3 had a diagnostics menu. Don't recall the way to get into it or if similar exists for the Note II. May not hurt to run thought diags if that's an option.
    05-06-2013 06:32 PM
    Just wanted to let you guys know that we did another factory reset on his phone and this time slowly readded the apps that he has and it seems one of them was reeking havoc on his phone. We uninstalled it and he is now back to loving his phone more than me ;-) thanks so much for all of the help and the advice.

lpt2569 likes this.
    05-09-2013 11:33 AM
    Awesome Jennifer! Its very common for anyone, even myself to overlook the fact that an app even a popular one could be the culprit.

I would report the problem to the developer of the application thru their Google Play Store page and who knows maybe it will get resolved.
    05-09-2013 11:35 AM
    Just wanted to let you guys know that we did another factory reset on his phone and this time slowly readded the apps that he has and it seems one of them was reeking havoc on his phone. We uninstalled it and he is now back to loving his phone more than me ;-) thanks so much for all of the help and the advice.

Awesome! (not so much the part about your husband loving his phone more than you). What app was it, if you don't mind sharing? Maybe others are using it as well and would like to know.
    cdf3 and Jennifer Stough like this.
    05-09-2013 11:43 AM
    It was usaa, our banking app. Apparently they released a new update and it wonked the app up. He reported it to the developer, but I doubt they'll get a fix out. The app still isn't fully compatible with JB and force closes almost everytime I use it as well.

lpt2569 likes this.
    05-09-2013 12:14 PM
    I was just going to suggest a slow rollback of apps. I ran into a similar problem on a Nexus 7... it just got sluggish and ran like crap... reboot, it was ok for a little, then it clogs up shortly after....

After playing around for days, about to reset, I checked and there were a ton of apps running notification services, killing the thing. I blocked the notifications and voila, back to the snappy tablet I bought.

Sent from my SCH-I200
    05-09-2013 12:21 PM