Note 2 is finally a true global phone(ROOT NOT NEEDED for 3G data on GSM) thanks to Verizon's update

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I've also used my Verizon Note 2 without root in several foreign countries. All I had to do was to buy prepaid GSM sim cards from supermarkets or hotel front desks. However, it's necessary to enter the APN setting on some GSM carriers. (no biggie, since it usually comes on a piece of paper with the SIM card, or available by calling the customer service number)
It's a biggie if, like Vodaphone in Prague, the customer service staff have no idea what they're doing. I had to throw the Vodaphone SIM away and go with T-Mobile instead. No problems then, just as I had no problems with A1 in Austria.

Kiersten_Kress

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
It's a biggie if, like Vodaphone in Prague, the customer service staff have no idea what they're doing. I had to throw the Vodaphone SIM away and go with T-Mobile instead. No problems then, just as I had no problems with A1 in Austria.

I always buy T-Mobile sim cards when I'm in Europe. I just pop the SIM card in my Verizon Galaxy Note 2. Never had a problem.

MissyHaney

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site

Where do you buy the sim cards? (in Prague and Austria) thanks!

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Where do you buy the sim cards? (in Prague and Austria) thanks!
I just found an A1 store in Vienna (can't remember the street name, but near the main shopping district and on a corner) and a T-Mobile store in the mall in Prague across from the Andel metro station.

MissyHaney

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I just found an A1 store in Vienna (can't remember the street name, but near the main shopping district and on a corner) and a T-Mobile store in the mall in Prague across from the Andel metro station.

I ended up going to a T-Mobile store near my hotel. Worked like a charm! :)

MissyHaney

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Note 2 is now a true global phone, thanks to Verizon's latest update(3G data on GSM, NO ROOT NEE

confirmed working with OneSIMCard sim cards in Lithuania and Portugal.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Note 2 is now a true global phone, thanks to Verizon's latest update(3G data on GSM, NO ROOT NEE

Hopefully, Note III will allow the same. I'm tired of phones advertized as global-ready but, in reality, being ready only when used with the carrier's own outrageously expensive global option. On top of it, VZW Global Support isn't willing to answer questions or gives false information about using foreign-purchased SIMs.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

Hopefully, Note III will allow the same. I'm tired of phones advertized as global-ready but, in reality, being ready only when used with the carrier's own outrageously expensive global option. On top of it, VZW Global Support isn't willing to answer questions or gives false information about using foreign-purchased SIMs.
I don't think VZW has any responsibility to help us use someone else's network. Questions about foreign SIMs really need to be answered by their foreign suppliers.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

I don't think VZW has any responsibility to help us use someone else's network. Questions about foreign SIMs really need to be answered by their foreign suppliers.

I disagree. VZW provides techsupport for the phones they sell and they can at least say what their phones can do and what they can't.

seasoul

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

I disagree. VZW provides techsupport for the phones they sell and they can at least say what their phones can do and what they can't.

That's like asking Ford to tell you if you can ship your Ford to Europe and drive it there. The answer is maybe... as long as you fill it up with the correct octane gas in Europe. (which is rated differently than US gasoline stations) I had the unfortunate experience of finding this out in person. :) My car requires 91-octane premium. However, the lowest octane sold in Europe is 95, which is actually only 87-octane.. again, that's due to the different way they measure octane there. So my car really needed 100-octane gas sold in Europe.(which was only about 92-octane US)

Verizon can't be expected to tell you if your phone will work on T-Mobile prepaid SIM card in Berlin. All they can tell you is that it will work fine with the Verizon 4G LTE SIM card and roam on foreign networks. Beyond that, it's up to you to find out.

Fortunately, the Verizon Note 2 is unlocked, so you can use it with any GSM prepaid SIM cards in almost anywhere in the world. Just remember to enter that network's APN if you're planning on using data.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

confirmed working with OneSIMCard sim cards in Lithuania and Portugal.

If OneSIMCard is a generic global card (i.e., not from any single specific wireless company), how does it work as far as the APN reset goes when the phone rides of different networks in different countries?

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Yes it does

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

My UK Vodaphone SIM card stopped working in my Verizon Galaxy Note 2 after the 4.3 update. Well, voice/text is working, but not 3G data. :( Not sure what the problem is because it worked perfectly the day before my Verizon Galaxy Note 2 got 4.3. If I take the same Vodaphone SIM card and insert it in my spare Verizon Galaxy Note 2 running on 4.1.2, data/voice/text all work perfectly.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

My UK Vodaphone SIM card stopped working in my Verizon Galaxy Note 2 after the 4.3 update. Well, voice/text is working, but not 3G data. :( Not sure what the problem is because it worked perfectly the day before my Verizon Galaxy Note 2 got 4.3. If I take the same Vodaphone SIM card and insert it in my spare Verizon Galaxy Note 2 running on 4.1.2, data/voice/text all work perfectly.

Did you change the apn

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, I am using a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II model number SCH-I605. I use to travel a lot for work outside US and when I am abroad I use many different local SIM cards. Right now I am in Europe and I am using a local SIM card, the phone is working well (I can call, use internet, etc.). The problem that I have is that I am not able to use the LTE 4G. The LTE is available and the SIM too (I have already called the Carrier), but still I can only use the 3G.

The mobile network is: "Global". I also tried to switch to LTE/CDMA, the phone asked "Serching for LTE/CDMA" but it dosent work.

Could you please help me with the configuration?

Thanks a lot for your help.

climb74

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone figured out how to get MMS working when you buy an unlocked Verizon phone and use an AT&T SIM card? Between that and the + sign being added to all received calls, this new unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 is driving me nuts!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae