I've Never Been This Torn...

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
With almost every phone I've bought, I did lots of research.
I always end up with a phone I really like and then I keep it for the whole duration of my contract.

This time I am really torn.
I can't believe how good the reception is on this phone, but it's just seems way too big for me.
I guess if I was a student or had a desk job where I'd be spending most my time at a desk,
this phablet would be perfect, but it just seems to be too big for the mobile person I am.
I am on my feet a lot, using my phone with one hand. This phablet is a real struggle, if not impossible.

But this thing grabs the signal and holds onto it better than any smartphone I have ever owned.

I'm torn because I can't seem to find where any other smartphone gets the reviews for good reception as the Note 2.
You can read many threads on other smartphones giving most people good reception, but you'll still read those scattered in the thread that it doesn't for them.
The Note 2 gets maybe one bad comment for hundreds of good.

I just don't know what to do.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Thought I recognized that name. ;)

That's an interesting situation. I suppose there are only three real options. First, stick with the Note 2 and get used to or deal with the large size. Second, consider changing devices to the Galaxy S4. It wouldn't be a huge departure from the Note 2 (hardware build, TouchWiz, etc.), but I can't guarantee you'll have the same super-solid signal lock. It is Samsung's newest flagship, after all, so the chances are high that you'll have a good experience. Third, consider jumping to a new Android device from a different manufacturer. Say, the HTC One. Perhaps even the upcoming Google Edition of the One or S4 if you're so inclined.

I'm not familiar with the Note 2's internal layout, but I'd be willing to wager that they stuck a nice large antenna in that thing.

Hopefully some of the Note 2 users can jump in here with advice based on their own experiences.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I came from the Note2 to the S4 and I am happy to report solid signal strength. I was recently with a coworker who has an iPhone 5 and we were in a rural area. He was unable to use his phone at all, at the same time I was able to carry on a conversation with no problems. Yes, we're are on the same carrier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I came from the Note2 to the S4 and I am happy to report solid signal strength. I was recently with a coworker who has an iPhone 5 and we were in a rural area. He was unable to use his phone at all, at the same time I was able to carry on a conversation with no problems. Yes, we're are on the same carrier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Thanks,
I'm considering trading it in for the dna or S4.
I'm really combing the forums.

Last edited:

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
...clip... I love my phone. I chose between the DNA and the note 2, and I wouldn't go back if given the chance. My husband has the note 2 and I HATE it, primarily because of touchwiz and ....clip.... In my instance, I did not want a phablet or a Samsung device. I wanted size, but not too bulky, and a sharp screen. The DNA was the first phone on the market with a 1080p display, and remains the only one on the market until the official release of the ONE on the US market.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

Hello Jennifer,
Are you able to get a signal info app and get some comparisons of you and your husband's phone's reception in (dBm) ?

btw.. I personally like Sense.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Stick with it. The size was a bit much for me at first but when I try and go smaller I tend to squint and wonder where my screen went. I'm now used to it and cant look back. Also, as you said, the signal is very good compared to other devices. That alone is a reason to keep it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Thought I recognized that name. ;)

That's an interesting situation. I suppose there are only three real options. First, stick with the Note 2 and get used to or deal with the large size. Second, consider changing devices to the Galaxy S4. It wouldn't be a huge departure from the Note 2 (hardware build, TouchWiz, etc.), but I can't guarantee you'll have the same super-solid signal lock. It is Samsung's newest flagship, after all, so the chances are high that you'll have a good experience. Third, consider jumping to a new Android device from a different manufacturer. Say, the HTC One. Perhaps even the upcoming Google Edition of the One or S4 if you're so inclined.

I'm not familiar with the Note 2's internal layout, but I'd be willing to wager that they stuck a nice large antenna in that thing.

Hopefully some of the Note 2 users can jump in here with advice based on their own experiences.

I have read a few posts of reception issues with the HTC One. Some related to the aluminum housing - similar as the iPhone's.
I like Sense, but I think I could get use to TouchWiz.
The 4S is a definitely an option.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey. I haven't tried an app, but here's our real time signal stength right now from inside our house.
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369594343841.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369594343841.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 73
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369594354541.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369594354541.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 71

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
As a quick mini review, I say the Note 2 is just an amazing device.
Battery life is way beyond expectations for such a big screen and LTE.
The Screen is crisp and bright.
The build quality is top.

I honestly can't give this phablet anything but praise.

I'll give myself some days to see if I can get use to the size.
I bought this phone off Amazon because it was only $80 with a new contract or adding a line.
I need to go down to Verizon and play some with the DNA, 4S, and HTC ONE.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I really don't know how much this comes into play anymore but given the bigger footprint of the Note 2, it is possible they have actually utilized the space to put a respectable antenna inside the device compared to smaller phones. It maybe only a 1/8 or 1/4 inch more wire but that little bit could be making a world of difference.

Just a thought....

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
The note2 is a fun device. It has a great display, good battery life, good signal. The only things, in my opinion, that could be considered cons is touchwiz and the size. But some like that about it. The DNA has a beautiful display, is fast, and the battery holds up pretty good. But it has some issues regarding the SIM not being detected at times, and the WiFi is shotty. I have heard that the one is having some of these same issues. While I love HTCs build quality and sense, some of these issues can be rather problematic.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
One handed use was difficult for me until I installed Nova Launcher as my custom launcher. My thumb is unable to reach the top of the device if I want to pull down the notification shade. With Nova Launcher, I setup a gesture that whenever I swipe down anywhere on my home screen, the notification shade would pull down. Also putting my favorite apps and folders closet to the hand I'm using to hold the device one handed has worked for me as well.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

JNM

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
With almost every phone I've bought, I did lots of research.
I always end up with a phone I really like and then I keep it for the whole duration of my contract.

This time I am really torn.
I can't believe how good the reception is on this phone, but it's just seems way too big for me.
I guess if I was a student or had a desk job where I'd be spending most my time at a desk,
this phablet would be perfect, but it just seems to be too big for the mobile person I am.
I am on my feet a lot, using my phone with one hand. This phablet is a real struggle, if not impossible.

But this thing grabs the signal and holds onto it better than any smartphone I have ever owned.

I'm torn because I can't seem to find where any other smartphone gets the reviews for good reception as the Note 2.
You can read many threads on other smartphones giving most people good reception, but you'll still read those scattered in the thread that it doesn't for them.
The Note 2 gets maybe one bad comment for hundreds of good.

I just don't know what to do.

Though many of us with the Note 2 will naturally want you to keep it there is no significant downside to going for the S4 and since there really is no way around the size of the phone I'd suggest it. Especially if you are currently not happy. Plus, it is almost certainly the best pick if you like everything about the Note 2 except for the size.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I went by the Verizon store to get some hands on.
I really like the DNA, but I kinda still like having expandable storage and a removable battery.
I also looked a little at the Moto R Maxx HD.

Finally, I looked at the S4
I think I'm sold.

Thanks for all the feedback.

sux2bu

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Get the S4. I have been on the S4 for almost a week now and it is an amazing phone, it's exactly like the Note two with a few subtle upgrades. BUT, I will be giving this phone to my wife and going back to my Note 2. I just miss the GIANT Note 2 screen. The 5.0" S4 screen is big compared to other phones, but is so tiny next to the Note 2. I told myself I would give it a whole week before I gave up on it and the week is almost up.

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
Don't get the DNA. HTC devices are notorious for having weak and unstable radios. Not only that, but it has a small battery and you're limited to the 16 GB of memory...ugh. The Galaxy S3 is also known to have weak radios, so skip that too...lol! So far I've been hearing good things for the S4 though. And yes, the Note 2 does have very strong radios. I do not know how the S4 compares directly with the Note 2, but it may be your next best bet if you're sticking with Verizon. Unless you're interested in Motorola. They're ugly and clunky, but usually have strong radios.

How long have you had the N2? I thought it was huge for about a week, but now it seems great and everything else seems tiny.

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I have read a few posts of reception issues with the HTC One. Some related to the aluminum housing - similar as the iPhone's.
I like Sense, but I think I could get use to TouchWiz.
The 4S is a definitely an option.

Where are you getting a one on Verizon? Historically, Samsung makes crappy cdma radios. Motorola is best, HTC is a close second. My and my wife's notes drop to 3g way more than my rezound or our thunderbolts did. The kid's DNAs are solid with no reception issues and its a lot smaller than the note when held in hand. I was surprised by this. Reaching across the screen is no problem on the DNA but getting to the top left might be difficult. I wish more devs would give you the option to move things to the bottom the way falcon pro does. Makes a lot of sense with how big phones are getting.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Don't get the DNA. HTC devices are notorious for having weak and unstable radios. Not only that, but it has a small battery and you're limited to the 16 GB of memory...ugh. The Galaxy S3 is also known to have weak radios, so skip that too...lol! So far I've been hearing good things for the S4 though. And yes, the Note 2 does have very strong radios. I do not know how the S4 compares directly with the Note 2, but it may be your next best bet if you're sticking with Verizon. Unless you're interested in Motorola. They're ugly and clunky, but usually have strong radios.

How long have you had the N2? I thought it was huge for about a week, but now it seems great and everything else seems tiny.

My rezound and thunderbolt both got better signal than my note, who told you HTC radios sucked? Samsung is notorious for bad cdma radios. I drop Calls all the time with my note. Rarely happened before. Wife's note does it in the same spot in the house.
I can agree with the limited storage and battery, that's what swung me over to the note. DNA is so much nicer to hold and look at though (have 2 of each in the house)

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
My rezound and thunderbolt both got better signal than my note, who told you HTC radios sucked? Samsung is notorious for bad cdma radios. I drop Calls all the time with my note. Rarely happened before. Wife's note does it in the same spot in the house.
I can agree with the limited storage and battery, that's what swung me over to the note. DNA is so much nicer to hold and look at though (have 2 of each in the house)

You must have the most amazing Thunderbolt ever made because it is well known that the Thunderbolt was plagued with serious radio issues. I've never seen a phone that would flip flop between no signal, 1X, 3G, and 4G like the Thunderbolt could. I'd miss several calls per day because it lost signal completely if whenever pocketed or holstered. And that's before adding in the cell tower transitioning reboot issue with them. The radio issues are the primary reason the Thunderbolt ended up being such a hated device. The original Google Nexus also had problematic radios, and it too was an HTC device. I don't have any experience with the Rezound other than I've heard that it did not suffer from the same radio issues as the T-Bolt.

Samsung has had some models, such as the GS3 that were known for having some radio issues, but compared to the Thunderbolt they would be considered freaking amazing. The best CDMA radio I've ever had was in a Samsung flip dumb phone (Alias). I made calls with that phone from places where it shouldn't have been possible with any phone from any carrier, within miles of where I was. You're the first person I've seen report weak signal with the Note 2. Maybe it is defective? Seriously, in places that were completely dead spots for both my iPhone 4 and the Thunderbolt, the Note 2 maintains solid signal. My old Blackberrys did too. Not a problem at all. I have over 10,000 minutes of talk time in on the Note 2 without a single dropped call. For that matter, not even a poor quality call that I can remember. I haven't even seen it lose 4G except for one time and it came back quickly. I would seriously try another Note 2 if you're having such severe signal issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae