need to find best offline navigation app for Note 2 in area with no voice/data signal within 52-mile radius. I will be traveling in the area for a month and half, starting next week.

There is no voice or data signal coverage from Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile.

Strangely, there is decent coverage from Sprint and Cricket Wireless, but can't use them on Verizon Note 2, obviously.

so far, I've found TomTom(more than $45, no free trial) and Co-Pilot($8.99, 14-day trial), but I was wondering if there are other alternatives before I make a purchase
    05-30-2013 01:37 PM
    go with the copilot. you can't beat the software OR the price. i'm a trucker. it's what i started with 2 years ago. then i switched to there pcmiler handheld unit. been using it ever since. but it stays in the truck. so when i'm in my car. i'm either using google nav of copilot. if i know the address then it's copilot. much easier to input.

and people say verizon is the bomb and has coverage EVERYWHERE.
    05-30-2013 02:25 PM
    and people say verizon is the bomb and has coverage EVERYWHERE.
    Verizon still has the best coverage, compared to AT&T. Unfortunately, there are still many parts of the country that are not covered by any cell phone carrier. In addition to my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, I carry a prepaid AT&T phone as back-up. Last summer, I found out the hard way that neither carrier had much signal coverage in upstate NY, West Virgiinia, Ohio, etc.... there were major interstates with big dead zones that no carrier seem to want to cover.
    05-30-2013 05:15 PM
    Ah, the good ol' days traveling down a remote highway with only a paper map, mile markers, road signs, AM radio, windows down, and no AC. Digressed slightly here. As snowy66 suggested, a dedicated GPS unity may be a good investment for those cases with limited coverage.

Not trying to trivialize the OP's situation or question. Its a real problem in many areas. I still take my dedicated GPS on certain trips where I know coverage will be spotty, or when I'm alone and need to stay focused on the road. In my opinion, dedicated GPS units still have value in those cases.
    05-30-2013 06:52 PM
    Verizon still has the best coverage, compared to AT&T. Unfortunately, there are still many parts of the country that are not covered by any cell phone carrier. In addition to my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, I carry a prepaid AT&T phone as back-up. Last summer, I found out the hard way that neither carrier had much signal coverage in upstate NY, West Virgiinia, Ohio, etc.... there were major interstates with big dead zones that no carrier seem to want to cover.
    Don't forget you can also cache Google Maps for offline navigation. I used it while driving around the UK last year, just loaded up the areas I planned to be in before I left.
    06-01-2013 11:22 PM
    Ah, the good ol' days traveling down a remote highway with only a paper map, mile markers, road signs, AM radio, windows down, and no AC. Digressed slightly here. As snowy66 suggested, a dedicated GPS unity may be a good investment for those cases with limited coverage.

Not trying to trivialize the OP's situation or question. Its a real problem in many areas. I still take my dedicated GPS on certain trips where I know coverage will be spotty, or when I'm alone and need to stay focused on the road. In my opinion, dedicated GPS units still have value in those cases.
    Decent entry level units with lifetime maps now makes this a very plausible idea. And, as an added bonus, you don't have to worry about your battery life on the phone while using navigation. I just picked up a $100 Garmin unit yesterday, and have put it through some paces. It's definitely a good replacement for the phone. And, I don't have to worry about my battery.
    Trees likes this.
    06-02-2013 04:07 PM