I do not like the new format at all. So I went into settings. Application manager clicked on Gmail and then clicked on uninstall updates. Have the previous format.
    Happy again

sent from my amazing Note2
    06-17-2013 12:47 AM
    I turned off the "sender image" display and had it put the delete button back in the toolbar, that pretty much got it back to how it was before except I think I like it better without the checkboxes on the left side. They just took up screen space. I don't have any "tabs" because I never enabled that in my desktop interface.
    jvbaseball likes this.
    06-17-2013 02:13 AM
    Oh, I didn't know you could put the delete button back! I might not be as annoyed after all...lol! I will also turn of the sender images, as I am not fond of that either.
    06-17-2013 02:59 AM
    I like the new look. I had the iPhone 5 previously and the gmail app look a lot like what it does now on Android. I was thrilled to see it updated to look like the iOS version. I like the swipe to delete function.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    06-17-2013 03:37 AM
    The delete button never left. If you tap the sender image, the email highlights, and the trashcan icon appears. Of course that's dependent on whether or not you have swipe to delete active.

I also really like that now we can empty spam and trash from within the app.
    bigdaddytee likes this.
    06-17-2013 06:15 AM
    The delete button never left. If you tap the sender image, the email highlights, and the trashcan icon appears. Of course that's dependent on whether or not you have swipe to delete active.

I also really like that now we can empty spam and trash from within the app.
    There were check boxes before the update....which made it easier to delete multiple messages.

~Jae, tap'n on my Sexy White Galaxy Note 2~
    06-17-2013 08:25 AM
    I like the new refreshed look, want the check boxes back though...holding to highlight while trying to delete multiple messages is annoying

Jude526 likes this.
    06-17-2013 08:26 AM
    There were check boxes before the update....which made it easier to delete multiple messages.

Tapping the sender image has the same effect as the check boxes.
    06-17-2013 08:46 AM
    I didn't like what I was seeing about the update, so never installed it. Still on Gmail version 4.2.1. The only part of the update that interests me is the ability to empty the trash, otherwise the rest are all negatives.

Sometimes I really wonder what Google is smoking with some of the stupid stuff they do with these updates. That thought is only re-enforced after recently reading about their idea to use high altitude balloons to provide 3G like Internet to rural areas : Google's latest 'moonshot' idea: balloon-powered internet for all | Android Central
    06-17-2013 08:51 AM
    I used to be a big fan of the checkboxes for delete also. But I found that just swiping to the right does the same thing in fewer steps. Also, when using the checkbox method it was too easy to miss the checkbox by a little bit and open the email itself. Swiping to the right is much more efficient and foolproof.
    jvbaseball likes this.
    06-17-2013 08:59 AM
    I used to be a big fan of the checkboxes for delete also. But I found that just swiping to the right does the same thing in fewer steps. Also, when using the checkbox method it was too easy to miss the checkbox by a little bit and open the email itself. Swiping to the right is much more efficient and foolproof.
    No problem checking the box with the S-Pen! The problem with the swipe method is that it's not very intuitive; people either don't know about it at all or the action, depending on your settings, may archive instead of delete. At least in the older version, the action/navigation bar on the bottom has obvious actions to perform and are easy to select with one hand. In the new version, that bar is now at top (not so easy to hit with one hand) and the "delete" option is hidden by default (have to go into settings to bring it back, see How to change archive and delete actions in the new Gmail | Android Central).
    06-17-2013 10:49 AM
    I would love to be able to swipe one way for delete and swipe the other direction for archive.
    06-17-2013 07:02 PM
    Tapping the sender image has the same effect as the check boxes.
    Well I be damned lol thanx

06-17-2013 07:05 PM
    I do not like the new format at all. So I went into settings. Application manager clicked on Gmail and then clicked on uninstall updates. Have the previous format.
    Happy again

Yep,'xactly what I did within an hour after updating. The newest version is probably "better", "new and improved", and like the Samsung Push Service, does "magical things". Just don't feel like having to adjust at the moment. Maybe after the next update?
    06-17-2013 07:58 PM
    I like the new Gmail app. Email is divided into different tabs. I have the notification settings for email in the Social and Promotions sections set to Silent. That way, I only get notified for important email from my Primary inbox.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    06-17-2013 08:37 PM
    I like the new Gmail app. Email is divided into different tabs. I have the notification settings for email in the Social and Promotions sections set to Silent. That way, I only get notified for important email from my Primary inbox.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Mine doesn't do that. I don't have those options for social and promotions.

06-18-2013 02:34 PM
    Mine doesn't do that. I don't have those options for social and promotions.
    You have to enable the new tabbed interface in your desktop browser gmail in order to see them in the app, I think.
    06-18-2013 02:51 PM
    You have to enable the new tabbed interface in your desktop browser gmail in order to see them in the app, I think.
    How do you do that?

06-18-2013 02:56 PM
    It's on the settings (gear button) menu as 'configure inbox', choose some categories besides 'primary' and click 'save'.
    dkhmwilliams likes this.
    06-18-2013 02:58 PM
    There are some things that I do like but over all not really that crazy about it
    06-18-2013 07:24 PM
    I don't like it. I prefer the check boxes from the default view for easy deleting/selecting

sent from Galaxy Note 2
    06-19-2013 02:37 AM
    I don't like it. I prefer the check boxes from the default view for easy deleting/selecting

sent from Galaxy Note 2
    As for me, I actually like the new selection feature. I found myself opening the email quite often, because I didn't press the checkbox just right. The checkbox was rather small.
    Now all I have to do is tap on the sender's icon image to select each email. It's much larger than the checkboxes.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    06-19-2013 10:41 AM
    anybody else no longer getting notifications for new email?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
    06-20-2013 08:07 PM
    anybody else no longer getting notifications for new email?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
    I'm getting mine.

06-20-2013 08:09 PM
    I always get my notifications

06-24-2013 08:02 PM