is it a bad idea to keep Note 2 charger cable and audio cable plugged in while starting the car?

on both of my cars, the DC power is cut off when the engine is off.
    06-19-2013 09:33 PM
    is it a bad idea to keep Note 2 charger cable and audio cable plugged in while starting the car?

on both of my cars, the DC power is cut off when the engine is off.
    Audio cable in an Auxiliary port? No. The charger, potentially. It is another draw on power that pulls from the battery, draining it. When the battery gets weaker, it will be harder to start the car. However, your anti theft system, clock, and other various factory installed electrical items are just as much, if not more, of a power drain.
    06-19-2013 09:42 PM
    The DC power in your car is never turned off, it's always on, it's the battery. It always powers things. Your power ports are connected to your battery, DC, and your alternator, AC. Some cars do leave a direct link to your outlet straight from the battery. This is indeed able to draw from your battery and drain it, but really not very quickly at all. If you put your car's ignition switch into the run position you will get those ports to light up as if the car was on. And everything else will go on too; lights, radio, nav, what have you. Almost every car these days is built with a relay that switches off everything when the starter motor is in use. That would be when you turn the ignition to the start position. Draining your battery at that point is not an issue. What can be an issue (and not often) is when your car comes back out of starting and goes into normal operating mode. At that moment, you are getting the DC in that port that has come off your alternator, gone through the power inverter and is now running that port in DC. The potential for a moment of extreme power burst into that port is there. That can blow straight through your car charger and into your phone and blow your phone.

Now, with that being said... You have about the same chance of that as you do of plugging your charger into your wall and it zapping your phone when the inverter of your charger works too. Is it possible? Heck yes. Probable? Not if your electrical system is working well.

If you have an old vehicle, and by this I'm even talking in the 90's (am I really that old! dang...) you may, very unlikely, but may have had someone working on your car that ran a wire straight off the battery and to your port. Then, we're talking a whole new ball game and you should have that fixed before it melts your wire anyway!

Have a nice day!
    06-20-2013 01:55 AM