What constitutes excellent battery life?

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
The latest consumer reports lists the note 2 as the 7th best phone and says battery life is only "very good" so what would be excellent? If I'm using WiFi only I can get upwards of 30 hrs. Not so much if using 4g only. Is battery life using 4g what they base it on?

sent from viper's note 2 using tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It should tell you in the article what parameters they used to judge battery life. Different needs for different people, so their evaluation might not suit your specific needs.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The latest consumer reports lists the note 2 as the 7th best phone and says battery life is only "very good" so what would be excellent? If I'm using WiFi only I can get upwards of 30 hrs. Not so much if using 4g only. Is battery life using 4g what they base it on?

It can also vary on what carrier you and CR is using, where, signal strength, etc. CR should have stated in small print the circumstances of the tests like carrier, and location at least.

But just so you are aware, any cell signal, regardless of signal quality and strength, is more taxing on the battery than a wifi signal. So your 30 hours is really good.
Also, what percentage of battery level are you draining to? Be advised, is is hard on the battery to drain to near depletion. Roughly 25 to 30% is what to shoot for.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

The Note 2, RAZR MAXX & RAZR MAXX HD are the only phones I'd consider to have excellent battery life.

It's so hard to compare battery life because usage is all over the map. People on Wifi who don't use their device often tend to last longer than heavy users.

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
It can also vary on what carrier you and CR is using, where, signal strength, etc. CR should have stated in small print the circumstances of the tests like carrier, and location at least.

But just so you are aware, any cell signal, regardless of signal quality and strength, is more taxing on the battery than a wifi signal. So your 30 hours is really good.
Also, what percentage of battery level are you draining to? Be advised, is is hard on the battery to drain to near depletion. Roughly 25 to 30% is what to shoot for.

I never go lower than 15% unless I'm out and just can't get it in a charger. In most cases if I'm below 50% when I go to bed, I charge it

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
The Note 2, RAZR MAXX & RAZR MAXX HD are the only phones I'd consider to have excellent battery life.

It's so hard to compare battery life because usage is all over the map. People on Wifi who don't use their device often tend to last longer than heavy users.

I found this out when I was in vacation. I wanted to see what battery life was like just using 4g so I didn't connect to my sisters WiFi. I found myself charging more than normal