08-14-2013 05:50 PM
58 123
tools
    I'm really annoyed they took away the + and -, when you want to check a map quick while driving gestures just suck. I'm going to figure out how to go back to the old version, I liked it much better.
    07-19-2013 09:29 AM
    Google maps totally dissappeared from my phone along with google local :S
    07-19-2013 12:38 PM
    http://db.tt/aiDwkqYo
    Link to 6.14.4 vetsion. MUCH better!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-19-2013 05:52 PM
    No more whats nearby sucks.
    Hate it. I used that feature almost every time I used maps.
    07-20-2013 04:07 PM
    The new Map update is wretched! Simply horrible. Messed up the Google Navigation app and Local app. I uninstalled the Map update, and now everything is back to normal for me. Plus the Google Navigation became very unstable with the Maps update, and I kept getting that stupid error message that the app needs to close now due to whatever failure. Did the former (fired) Apple map engineer guy design this new Map update?!? If so, he should be fired again! Haha!
    The same thing happened to me until I ran permissions in clockwork that took care of the problem
    07-20-2013 05:53 PM
    The new Map update is wretched! Simply horrible. Messed up the Google Navigation app and Local app. I uninstalled the Map update, and now everything is back to normal for me. Plus the Google Navigation became very unstable with the Maps update, and I kept getting that stupid error message that the app needs to close now due to whatever failure. Did the former (fired) Apple map engineer guy design this new Map update?!? If so, he should be fired again! Haha!
    I'm having the same issue. Keep getting the error message, totally annoying!! Please someone tell me how to go back to the old version.
    07-22-2013 07:47 PM
    I'm having the same issue. Keep getting the error message, totally annoying!! Please someone tell me how to go back to the old version.
    Go to Menu, Settings, Application manager, select the Maps app, in the upper right select the option "Uninstall updates" to revert back to the previous version.

You may also wish to turn off auto updates in the Play Store or it will update itself again at some point. To do that (in the Play Store app on your phone), hit Menu, Settings, Auto-update apps and select "Do not auto-update apps". Once you do this though, you'll have to manually install any updates to apps.
    cargbrn likes this.
    07-22-2013 08:33 PM
    Go to Settings, Application Manager, click on Maps, click on Forced Stop, Clear Cache, click on Uninstall Updates. Or maybe you only have to click on Uninstall Updates.
    After doing this, your Google Navigation and Local apps will return back to the previous version. Problem fixed !!
    cargbrn likes this.
    07-23-2013 04:01 PM
    I am not a fan of the new Maps. In fact, I sent feedback to Google. Mine takes a really long time to load, which makes it useless when you are in a moving car. I don't find the interface intuitive either.
    cargbrn likes this.
    07-23-2013 07:24 PM
    Go to Menu, Settings, Application manager, select the Maps app, in the upper right select the option "Uninstall updates" to revert back to the previous version.

You may also wish to turn off auto updates in the Play Store or it will update itself again at some point. To do that (in the Play Store app on your phone), hit Menu, Settings, Auto-update apps and select "Do not auto-update apps". Once you do this though, you'll have to manually install any updates to apps.
    Thanks guys! Now I got my navigation back!
    cargbrn likes this.
    07-28-2013 11:16 PM
    Has anyone had success with the new maps navigating around traffic? I'm so obsessed with this feature.
    07-30-2013 08:16 PM
    I am not a fan of the new Maps. In fact, I sent feedback to Google. Mine takes a really long time to load, which makes it useless when you are in a moving car. I don't find the interface intuitive either.
    Mine took an inordinate amount of time the first time I opened it, but since then it's no different from the old version.

Also, I have found navigation really works more smoothly with the new version of the Maps app. You need to get used to the new sequence of commands, though.
    cheeta186 likes this.
    07-30-2013 10:59 PM
    I received it while on vacation -- far from home and hated it. Had to get my TomTom out to navigate where we needed to be.
    HATE it. Totally unacceptable!!!
    07-31-2013 09:28 AM
    I also had to remove the update .... before I could do anything I wanted to & then bounce back to navigation & always kept in step & right back to my trip .... with the update the app is totally useless if you go away for any reason!! It also crashes if you haven't removed it from the task list! Also while navigating to your destination the map is swiveling like never before & is really hard to follow. Before it was one way or the other with your compass. Now your arrow may be at a stupid angle. I like it with the arrow of your direction always forward .... the update totally F that up! What a wasted update

The old one is perfect

How many Apple programmers are there at Google now ???

Cheers, Jon
    07-31-2013 10:27 AM
    Such a wretched update. I kept getting that stupid error message of sorry this app must close now. The update is so unstable. I uninstalled the update. -Casey
    07-31-2013 11:13 AM
    I also had to remove the update .... before I could do anything I wanted to & then bounce back to navigation & always kept in step & right back to my trip .... with the update the app is totally useless if you go away for any reason!! It also crashes if you haven't removed it from the task list! Also while navigating to your destination the map is swiveling like never before & is really hard to follow. Before it was one way or the other with your compass. Now your arrow may be at a stupid angle. I like it with the arrow of your direction always forward .... the update totally F that up! What a wasted update

The old one is perfect

How many Apple programmers are there at Google now ???

Cheers, Jon
    Such a wretched update. I kept getting that stupid error message of sorry this app must close now. The update is so unstable. I uninstalled the update. -Casey
    Looking at the recent reviews for Maps (via Google Play, not in a web browser which Google messed up; can't sort by date or device anymore), the vast majority are bad, very bad. Similar with the last Gmail update. Thus why I have no plans to update either app! Not sure what's going on over there at Mountain View (Google headquarters), but they're really stinking it up lately.
    07-31-2013 01:26 PM
    Looking at the recent reviews for Maps (via Google Play, not in a web browser which Google messed up; can't sort by date or device anymore), the vast majority are bad, very bad. Similar with the last Gmail update. Thus why I have no plans to update either app! Not sure what's going on over there at Mountain View (Google headquarters), but they're really stinking it up lately.
    Thanks for reminding me about the crappy Gmail update. The updated Gmail is whacked. Don't like it. I just now un-installed the update for Gmail, and now it's back to the previous version! Haha! -Casey
    07-31-2013 03:16 PM
    Most of Google's services are totally free. Does that still give us the right to complain so bitterly? Yes, the new Google Maps is quirky, but it works fine. (when it works, obviously)

On the other hand, I recently ponied up $40 for the offline navigation app, Tomtom, and another $9.99 for CoPilot Premium. After using those two offline navigation apps, I now prefer them over Google Maps, if all I want is to get from point A to point B.
    07-31-2013 03:30 PM
    Just because it's free, we're supposed to accept it like lemmings? I don't think so .... they do make money & they expect a return on effort made! They should also expect a ding when they start going in the wrong direction .... you go ahead & praise them for all & we'll still be a little discriminating If it's crap & smells like crap it should be called crap BTW, I have praised Google & all it's cool stuff for years & this is the worst direction they have taken ... EVER!

Cheers, Jon
    Casey Cheung and Lodingi like this.
    07-31-2013 04:40 PM
    Just because it's free, we're supposed to accept it like lemmings? I don't think so .... they do make money & they expect a return on effort made! They should also expect a ding when they start going in the wrong direction .... you go ahead & praise them for all & we'll still be a little discriminating If it's crap & smells like crap it should be called crap BTW, I have praised Google & all it's cool stuff for years & this is the worst direction they have taken ... EVER!

Cheers, Jon
    "Free" doesn't make it "right". 2 thumbs up for your post!
    08-01-2013 09:39 AM

Cheers, Jon
    I completely agree with that sentiment! Google needs to get negative push back when they put out crappy updates. Otherwise, what incentive do they have to ever fix anything (rhetorical question)?
    08-01-2013 10:25 AM
    Most of Google's services are totally free. Does that still give us the right to complain so bitterly? Yes, the new Google Maps is quirky, but it works fine. (when it works, obviously)

On the other hand, I recently ponied up $40 for the offline navigation app, Tomtom, and another $9.99 for CoPilot Premium. After using those two offline navigation apps, I now prefer them over Google Maps, if all I want is to get from point A to point B.

Just an FYI here. In the past, I've also paid and installed 3rd party GPS apps to my smartphone. A few years ago, it was pretty pricey at around $30 for each GPS app, if I recall correctly. Normally, if you've already paid for an app, you would be able to re-install that same app to a new/different smartphone. However, I can't remember which GPS app, but one of them required me to pay yet again to install the same app which I had previously paid for. I think it's because the app (in their opinion) had some significant upgrades since my first purchase, hence they wanted me to pay yet again if I wanted to re-install the same GPS app. Well, in my opinion, that totally sucked because I wasn't willing to pay a 2nd time for the same GPS app. On the plus side for Google Navigation, at least they don't require payment for their navigation app.
    08-01-2013 10:48 AM
    Just an FYI here. In the past, I've also paid and installed 3rd party GPS apps to my smartphone. A few years ago, it was pretty pricey at around $30 for each GPS app, if I recall correctly. Normally, if you've already paid for an app, you would be able to re-install that same app to a new/different smartphone. However, I can't remember which GPS app, but one of them required me to pay yet again to install the same app which I had previously paid for. I think it's because the app (in their opinion) had some significant upgrades since my first purchase, hence they wanted me to pay yet again if I wanted to re-install the same GPS app. Well, in my opinion, that totally sucked because I wasn't willing to pay a 2nd time for the same GPS app. On the plus side for Google Navigation, at least they don't require payment for their navigation app.
    TomTom and CoPilot Premium Android apps do not require additional payment. All I had to do was download it to a 2nd device(my Galaxy tablet) and log in. Although the app can only be used on one device at a time.

The joy of using totally offline navigation Android app is the ability to navigate without data. This is especially important when I travel to a lot of places that get no cell phone coverage from any carrier. (Verizon, Sprint, AT&T)
    08-01-2013 01:27 PM
    Which one do you like better?

sent from my Galaxy Note 2
    08-01-2013 01:28 PM
    Which one do you like better?

sent from my Galaxy Note 2
    surprisingly, I like the cheaper CoPilot Premium better. I purchased it when it was on sale in the Play Store for $7.99. Edit: just noticed that it's currently 10% off... so you only have to pay $8.99, not that much money... most people spend more than that on lunch

if you download the free version, you can use it free for 14 days with voice navigation... give it a try. Buy it only if you like it. .

CoPilot Premium gets its map data from NavTeq, whcih is a large company that also supplies data to the factory navigation system in my car.

I combine it with the free Ivona text-to-speech (TTS) voices, which is free from the Play Store.
    08-01-2013 04:23 PM
58 123