08-14-2013 05:50 PM
58 123
tools
    The new version is going to cause people to get into wrecks. Nav goes back into the basic map if anything else on the phone (such as a phone call) interrupts it, so when you go back to Nav the turn by turn is gone and you have to restart it. Then it crashes the whole thing so you have to start over completely. And then it crashes again. And again. If you're lucky it will restart on the 3rd or 4th try, but by then you're likely to have either gotten into an accident or you've missed your turn by 3 miles while you were trying to get the POS restarted. Why does it come up to the basic map when you start Nav anyway? It should go straight to turn by turn like before. The new UI is way more complicated and stupid. I am a real estate broker and use NAV all the time to find properties. It's causing me way too much frustration and lost time.
    08-02-2013 06:20 PM
    The new version is going to cause people to get into wrecks. Nav goes back into the basic map if anything else on the phone (such as a phone call) interrupts it, so when you go back to Nav the turn by turn is gone and you have to restart it. Then it crashes the whole thing so you have to start over completely. And then it crashes again. And again. If you're lucky it will restart on the 3rd or 4th try, but by then you're likely to have either gotten into an accident or you've missed your turn by 3 miles while you were trying to get the POS restarted. Why does it come up to the basic map when you start Nav anyway? It should go straight to turn by turn like before. The new UI is way more complicated and stupid. I am a real estate broker and use NAV all the time to find properties. It's causing me way too much frustration and lost time.
    Get TomTom, CoPilot Premium, or another offline navigation app. You won't want to use Google Maps/Navigation again. If you depend on navigation for business purposed, I'd highly recommend getting a dedicated GPS units for your car. (preferably one that's hardwired into your car's speed pulse & reverse wire and has separate GPS antenna)

Having said that, I've not experienced a single crash(knock on wood) with the new Googl Maps/Navigation. After I hang up a phone call(via my Bluetooth headset), it just continues with navigation again.
    08-02-2013 09:05 PM
    Settings..application manager...all..maps..uninstall updates.
    Go to play store...settings..disable automatic updates.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using AC Forums mobile app
    08-03-2013 10:49 AM
    Not after the update!!! I reverted back to the old version & it does go back as always .... love it! Been using Google navigation for 3 years & it has always gone back to what it was doing, but not after the update!!

Cheers, Jon
    After I hang up a phone call(via my Bluetooth headset), it just continues with navigation again.
    08-03-2013 07:58 PM
    Not after the update!!! I reverted back to the old version & it does go back as always .... love it! Been using Google navigation for 3 years & it has always gone back to what it was doing, but not after the update!!

Cheers, Jon
    Not sure what's going on, but it does go back to navigation after getting a phone call. I just tested it again on my phone... started navigating to the nearest gas station. I then used my landline phone to cal lmy Note 2. After I hung up the call, it just went back to navigating to the gas station.
    08-03-2013 09:50 PM
    No way! Last thing I want is one of those GPS units to add clutter and random wires to my car. Not to mention that it is one more thing to have to carry with me if not in my own car. I've been using Google Nav for a long time and it's been great. I shouldn't need to suddenly go out and buy another device just because Google borked the update in a big way. I just rolled it back to the previous version. I'm back in business.
    08-04-2013 08:21 PM
    I got it... horrible it locates me about three provinces away from where I am...
    08-14-2013 02:57 PM
    Yeah, it's a really terrible update. I bought a phone with a hardware menu button so I can use said hardware menu button...but this ridiculous app doesn't even allow that! They also made the on screen menu button microscopic. Why won't it cache my maps anymore? WHY don't they have the option to have the plus, minus zoom buttons? I know the trick for double tap, up - down, but the zoom buttons are much easier while driving.

I think they've finally fixed the crashing with version 7.0.2 V2 from August 14th, though I haven't actually navigated with it. They removed "Local" and replaced it with that precariously difficult to access what's nearby bar --- that works sometimes. I did another local style search for a gas station in Charlotte, NC, and it tried to get me to drive 25 minutes across Charlotte when there are probably 100 gas stations between my location and that station (and two literally .2 miles away). Pre 7.0 versions never lost GPS signal, but this one does quite easily. I am happy I downloaded the latest pre 7.0 version of maps so I can yet again have reliable and intuitive navigation.

Oops, I realize after the fact that this is a Note 2 forum, but my GS3 rants should apply I suppose.
    08-14-2013 05:50 PM
58 123