Has anyone received the new updated version of Google Maps app on his/her Verizon Galaxy Note 2 yet?

Michigan66

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
What are wake locks? The previous version of Google Maps hasn't
killed the battery any faster than my other two navigation apps. (TomTom
and CoPilot, both offline navigation apps)

Wake locks keep the phone awake and wont allow it to go into deep sleep like it should. Uses a lot more battery. With the previous version i was getting a lot worse battery with maps installed. Even with all of the location reporting turned off.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Jerome10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I have it. It takes some getting used to. I still haven't found out how to bring back the + and - buttons to zoom in and out. I have to use the two-finger pinch to zoom now. And the locator is now a dot.

I hated this missing + and - too... haven't found how to bring them back.

However, I did discover that a double tap with 1 finger, hold, and move your finger up and down the screen will zoom in or out.

This is workable for me. I hate the two finger zoom. Impossible to do with 1 hand.

Still wish they would bring back that + - buttons though. Still more convenient.

asics10

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm really annoyed they took away the + and -, when you want to check a map quick while driving gestures just suck. I'm going to figure out how to go back to the old version, I liked it much better.

lindsey

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
The new Map update is wretched! Simply horrible. Messed up the Google Navigation app and Local app. I uninstalled the Map update, and now everything is back to normal for me. Plus the Google Navigation became very unstable with the Maps update, and I kept getting that stupid error message that the app needs to close now due to whatever failure. Did the former (fired) Apple map engineer guy design this new Map update?!? If so, he should be fired again! Haha!

The same thing happened to me until I ran permissions in clockwork that took care of the problem

cknsx

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
The new Map update is wretched! Simply horrible. Messed up the Google Navigation app and Local app. I uninstalled the Map update, and now everything is back to normal for me. Plus the Google Navigation became very unstable with the Maps update, and I kept getting that stupid error message that the app needs to close now due to whatever failure. Did the former (fired) Apple map engineer guy design this new Map update?!? If so, he should be fired again! Haha!

I'm having the same issue. Keep getting the error message, totally annoying!! Please someone tell me how to go back to the old version.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. Keep getting the error message, totally annoying!! Please someone tell me how to go back to the old version.

Go to Menu, Settings, Application manager, select the Maps app, in the upper right select the option "Uninstall updates" to revert back to the previous version.

You may also wish to turn off auto updates in the Play Store or it will update itself again at some point. To do that (in the Play Store app on your phone), hit Menu, Settings, Auto-update apps and select "Do not auto-update apps". Once you do this though, you'll have to manually install any updates to apps.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

Go to Settings, Application Manager, click on Maps, click on Forced Stop, Clear Cache, click on Uninstall Updates. Or maybe you only have to click on Uninstall Updates.
After doing this, your Google Navigation and Local apps will return back to the previous version. Problem fixed !!

Tanooki2

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I am not a fan of the new Maps. In fact, I sent feedback to Google. Mine takes a really long time to load, which makes it useless when you are in a moving car. I don't find the interface intuitive either.

cknsx

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Go to Menu, Settings, Application manager, select the Maps app, in the upper right select the option "Uninstall updates" to revert back to the previous version.

You may also wish to turn off auto updates in the Play Store or it will update itself again at some point. To do that (in the Play Store app on your phone), hit Menu, Settings, Auto-update apps and select "Do not auto-update apps". Once you do this though, you'll have to manually install any updates to apps.

Thanks guys! Now I got my navigation back!

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I am not a fan of the new Maps. In fact, I sent feedback to Google. Mine takes a really long time to load, which makes it useless when you are in a moving car. I don't find the interface intuitive either.
Mine took an inordinate amount of time the first time I opened it, but since then it's no different from the old version.

Also, I have found navigation really works more smoothly with the new version of the Maps app. You need to get used to the new sequence of commands, though.

cargbrn

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I received it while on vacation -- far from home and hated it. Had to get my TomTom out to navigate where we needed to be.
HATE it. Totally unacceptable!!!

GtoJon

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I also had to remove the update .... before I could do anything I wanted to & then bounce back to navigation & always kept in step & right back to my trip .... with the update the app is totally useless if you go away for any reason!! It also crashes if you haven't removed it from the task list! Also while navigating to your destination the map is swiveling like never before & is really hard to follow. Before it was one way or the other with your compass. Now your arrow may be at a stupid angle. I like it with the arrow of your direction always forward .... the update totally F that up! What a wasted update :p

The old one is perfect :D

How many Apple programmers are there at Google now ;) ???

Cheers, Jon

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Such a wretched update. I kept getting that stupid error message of sorry this app must close now. The update is so unstable. I uninstalled the update. -Casey