Has anyone received the new updated version of Google Maps app on his/her Verizon Galaxy Note 2 yet?

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I also had to remove the update .... before I could do anything I wanted to & then bounce back to navigation & always kept in step & right back to my trip .... with the update the app is totally useless if you go away for any reason!! It also crashes if you haven't removed it from the task list! Also while navigating to your destination the map is swiveling like never before & is really hard to follow. Before it was one way or the other with your compass. Now your arrow may be at a stupid angle. I like it with the arrow of your direction always forward .... the update totally F that up! What a wasted update :p

The old one is perfect :D

How many Apple programmers are there at Google now ;) ???

Cheers, Jon

Such a wretched update. I kept getting that stupid error message of sorry this app must close now. The update is so unstable. I uninstalled the update. -Casey

Looking at the recent reviews for Maps (via Google Play, not in a web browser which Google messed up; can't sort by date or device anymore), the vast majority are bad, very bad. Similar with the last Gmail update. Thus why I have no plans to update either app! Not sure what's going on over there at Mountain View (Google headquarters), but they're really stinking it up lately. :(

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Looking at the recent reviews for Maps (via Google Play, not in a web browser which Google messed up; can't sort by date or device anymore), the vast majority are bad, very bad. Similar with the last Gmail update. Thus why I have no plans to update either app! Not sure what's going on over there at Mountain View (Google headquarters), but they're really stinking it up lately. :(

Thanks for reminding me about the crappy Gmail update. The updated Gmail is whacked. Don't like it. I just now un-installed the update for Gmail, and now it's back to the previous version! Haha! -Casey

MissyHaney

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Most of Google's services are totally free. Does that still give us the right to complain so bitterly? Yes, the new Google Maps is quirky, but it works fine. (when it works, obviously)

On the other hand, I recently ponied up $40 for the offline navigation app, Tomtom, and another $9.99 for CoPilot Premium. After using those two offline navigation apps, I now prefer them over Google Maps, if all I want is to get from point A to point B.

GtoJon

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Just because it's free, we're supposed to accept it like lemmings? I don't think so .... they do make money & they expect a return on effort made! They should also expect a ding when they start going in the wrong direction .... you go ahead & praise them for all & we'll still be a little discriminating ;) If it's crap & smells like crap it should be called crap :mad: BTW, I have praised Google & all it's cool stuff for years & this is the worst direction they have taken ... EVER!

Cheers, Jon

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Just because it's free, we're supposed to accept it like lemmings? I don't think so .... they do make money & they expect a return on effort made! They should also expect a ding when they start going in the wrong direction .... you go ahead & praise them for all & we'll still be a little discriminating ;) If it's crap & smells like crap it should be called crap :mad: BTW, I have praised Google & all it's cool stuff for years & this is the worst direction they have taken ... EVER!

Cheers, Jon

"Free" doesn't make it "right". 2 thumbs up for your post!

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Cheers, Jon

I completely agree with that sentiment! Google needs to get negative push back when they put out crappy updates. Otherwise, what incentive do they have to ever fix anything (rhetorical question)?

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Most of Google's services are totally free. Does that still give us the right to complain so bitterly? Yes, the new Google Maps is quirky, but it works fine. (when it works, obviously)

On the other hand, I recently ponied up $40 for the offline navigation app, Tomtom, and another $9.99 for CoPilot Premium. After using those two offline navigation apps, I now prefer them over Google Maps, if all I want is to get from point A to point B.

Just an FYI here. In the past, I've also paid and installed 3rd party GPS apps to my smartphone. A few years ago, it was pretty pricey at around $30 for each GPS app, if I recall correctly. Normally, if you've already paid for an app, you would be able to re-install that same app to a new/different smartphone. However, I can't remember which GPS app, but one of them required me to pay yet again to install the same app which I had previously paid for. I think it's because the app (in their opinion) had some significant upgrades since my first purchase, hence they wanted me to pay yet again if I wanted to re-install the same GPS app. Well, in my opinion, that totally sucked because I wasn't willing to pay a 2nd time for the same GPS app. On the plus side for Google Navigation, at least they don't require payment for their navigation app.

MissyHaney

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Just an FYI here. In the past, I've also paid and installed 3rd party GPS apps to my smartphone. A few years ago, it was pretty pricey at around $30 for each GPS app, if I recall correctly. Normally, if you've already paid for an app, you would be able to re-install that same app to a new/different smartphone. However, I can't remember which GPS app, but one of them required me to pay yet again to install the same app which I had previously paid for. I think it's because the app (in their opinion) had some significant upgrades since my first purchase, hence they wanted me to pay yet again if I wanted to re-install the same GPS app. Well, in my opinion, that totally sucked because I wasn't willing to pay a 2nd time for the same GPS app. On the plus side for Google Navigation, at least they don't require payment for their navigation app.

TomTom and CoPilot Premium Android apps do not require additional payment. All I had to do was download it to a 2nd device(my Galaxy tablet) and log in. Although the app can only be used on one device at a time.

The joy of using totally offline navigation Android app is the ability to navigate without data. This is especially important when I travel to a lot of places that get no cell phone coverage from any carrier. (Verizon, Sprint, AT&T)

MissyHaney

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Which one do you like better?

sent from my Galaxy Note 2

surprisingly, I like the cheaper CoPilot Premium better. I purchased it when it was on sale in the Play Store for $7.99. Edit: just noticed that it's currently 10% off... so you only have to pay $8.99, not that much money... most people spend more than that on lunch :D

if you download the free version, you can use it free for 14 days with voice navigation... give it a try. Buy it only if you like it. . :)

CoPilot Premium gets its map data from NavTeq, whcih is a large company that also supplies data to the factory navigation system in my car.

I combine it with the free Ivona text-to-speech (TTS) voices, which is free from the Play Store.

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
The new version is going to cause people to get into wrecks. Nav goes back into the basic map if anything else on the phone (such as a phone call) interrupts it, so when you go back to Nav the turn by turn is gone and you have to restart it. Then it crashes the whole thing so you have to start over completely. And then it crashes again. And again. If you're lucky it will restart on the 3rd or 4th try, but by then you're likely to have either gotten into an accident or you've missed your turn by 3 miles while you were trying to get the POS restarted. Why does it come up to the basic map when you start Nav anyway? It should go straight to turn by turn like before. The new UI is way more complicated and stupid. I am a real estate broker and use NAV all the time to find properties. It's causing me way too much frustration and lost time.

MissyHaney

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
The new version is going to cause people to get into wrecks. Nav goes back into the basic map if anything else on the phone (such as a phone call) interrupts it, so when you go back to Nav the turn by turn is gone and you have to restart it. Then it crashes the whole thing so you have to start over completely. And then it crashes again. And again. If you're lucky it will restart on the 3rd or 4th try, but by then you're likely to have either gotten into an accident or you've missed your turn by 3 miles while you were trying to get the POS restarted. Why does it come up to the basic map when you start Nav anyway? It should go straight to turn by turn like before. The new UI is way more complicated and stupid. I am a real estate broker and use NAV all the time to find properties. It's causing me way too much frustration and lost time.

Get TomTom, CoPilot Premium, or another offline navigation app. You won't want to use Google Maps/Navigation again. If you depend on navigation for business purposed, I'd highly recommend getting a dedicated GPS units for your car. (preferably one that's hardwired into your car's speed pulse & reverse wire and has separate GPS antenna)

Having said that, I've not experienced a single crash(knock on wood) with the new Googl Maps/Navigation. After I hang up a phone call(via my Bluetooth headset), it just continues with navigation again.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Settings..application manager...all..maps..uninstall updates.
Go to play store...settings..disable automatic updates.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using AC Forums mobile app

GtoJon

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Not after the update!!! I reverted back to the old version & it does go back as always .... love it! Been using Google navigation for 3 years & it has always gone back to what it was doing, but not after the update!!

Cheers, Jon
After I hang up a phone call(via my Bluetooth headset), it just continues with navigation again.

MissyHaney

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Not after the update!!! I reverted back to the old version & it does go back as always .... love it! Been using Google navigation for 3 years & it has always gone back to what it was doing, but not after the update!!

Cheers, Jon

Not sure what's going on, but it does go back to navigation after getting a phone call. I just tested it again on my phone... started navigating to the nearest gas station. I then used my landline phone to cal lmy Note 2. After I hung up the call, it just went back to navigating to the gas station.

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
No way! Last thing I want is one of those GPS units to add clutter and random wires to my car. Not to mention that it is one more thing to have to carry with me if not in my own car. I've been using Google Nav for a long time and it's been great. I shouldn't need to suddenly go out and buy another device just because Google borked the update in a big way. I just rolled it back to the previous version. I'm back in business.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it's a really terrible update. I bought a phone with a hardware menu button so I can use said hardware menu button...but this ridiculous app doesn't even allow that! They also made the on screen menu button microscopic. Why won't it cache my maps anymore? WHY don't they have the option to have the plus, minus zoom buttons? I know the trick for double tap, up - down, but the zoom buttons are much easier while driving.

I think they've finally fixed the crashing with version 7.0.2 V2 from August 14th, though I haven't actually navigated with it. They removed "Local" and replaced it with that precariously difficult to access what's nearby bar --- that works sometimes. I did another local style search for a gas station in Charlotte, NC, and it tried to get me to drive 25 minutes across Charlotte when there are probably 100 gas stations between my location and that station (and two literally .2 miles away). Pre 7.0 versions never lost GPS signal, but this one does quite easily. I am happy I downloaded the latest pre 7.0 version of maps so I can yet again have reliable and intuitive navigation.

Oops, I realize after the fact that this is a Note 2 forum, but my GS3 rants should apply I suppose.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12