02-20-2014 05:51 PM
79 1234
tools
    You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking.

We probably wouldn't have even received 4.3 if it weren't for Gear. This phone is now officially old tech, Samsung and Verizon (especially Verizon) aren't going to dedicate the resources to this phone to write, distribute, and support another upgrade. They have other, more important priorities, like the S4, Note 3, and new (yet-released) products.

This is it.
    To be frank and like I said in the thread previously, I'm still happy with the original release software (4.1.1) the Note 2 shipped with. It still rocks with it to this day! So I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth! I'll look for a new OS version with the Note 4! And I pray it doesn't have that Knox crap on it!
    12-30-2013 02:38 PM
    What is Knox btw?
    12-30-2013 06:52 PM
    I believe kit Kat will make it to the Note 2. It is billed as a simplified os and supposedly for older model phones. Usually there are 3 upgrades before it becomes terribly old school phone. I will say that I if this is old school for now then I'm happy
    12-30-2013 06:56 PM
    VZW just started pushing out 4.3 I did the OVA upgrade yesterday. so far so good
    12-30-2013 08:02 PM
    I'm not sure what 4.4 will offer to the note 2. I'm happy with 4.3. Single finger pull down in notifications, apps to sd, I got photosphere through side load, improved battery life, and Foxfi working again, no more ongoing wi-fi notification, blocking mode, etc. I don't know if 4.4 brings anything worthwhile to the table, if any.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    12-31-2013 12:28 AM
    What is Knox btw?
    It's Samsung's new security software. See:https://support.samsungknox.com/entr...-Samsung-KNOX-

Samsung KNOX is an Android-based platform designed to overcome the shortcomings of the current open-source platform. Samsung KNOX addresses security at the OS level in a comprehensive three-prong strategy:

Secure Boot—A procedure that prevents unauthorized operating systems and software from loading during the startup process.
    Security Enhancements for Android (SE for Android)—Brings SELinux technology to Android. SELinux is a security feature developed by the NSA (National Security Agency) to support military apps.
    TrustZone-based Kernel Integrity Measurement Architecture (TIMA)—Performs non-bypassable, continuous integrity monitoring of the Android kernel.

In addition to securing the OS, Samsung KNOX addresses the security of individual apps:

Container—Provides a virtual Android environment to isolate enterprise apps and data in their own secure zone.
    Per-app VPN—Enables an individual app or group of apps to transmit data over a secure VPN connection.
    Data encryption—Full-device and container-level data encryption fully protect app data on the device.

Finally, Samsung KNOX provides complementary enterprise services:

Single Sign-On (SSO)—Plugs into an enterprise’s ActiveDirectory to enable employees to sign into apps using their corporate logins.
    Common Access Card (CAC)—Enables active-duty military, selected Reserve, DoD civilian employees, and contractors to identify themselves by scanning a Smart ID card through a reader attached to the device.
    Theft Recovery—Includes a built‐in anti-theft solution and an associated subscription service that provides both tracking and recovery in the event a device is stolen.
    808TBolt likes this.
    12-31-2013 10:21 AM
    Thanks lol
    12-31-2013 11:19 AM
    I'm using CM11 with 4.4.2 and I have noticed much better battery life compared to 4.1.2 and also no lag when scrolling whatsoever. I haven't tried 4.3, I just skipped ahead to 4.4.2. Of course I'm missing the specific features for the note 2 and touchwiz, but I'm happy with what Kitkat brings to the table.
    12-31-2013 08:09 PM
    I rarely use the s pen either. I thought I would use it all the time but I just don't. I just mostly like the size of the screen. I think the s pen is much more useful on tablets than a phone. I'm thinking of picking up a note 8.0.

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk
    12-31-2013 08:30 PM
    I like the spen. I want the Note 8.0 too !

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app
    12-31-2013 11:17 PM
    lol Those who don't think the Note 2 will get Kitkat are ridiculous, of course it will. It will probably get it around February to March 2014. Of course by then, there'll be a newer version of Kitkat out, but it will get Kitkat.
    Why would you think that the note 2 will get 4.4 then? The Note 3 doesn't even have kit kat update coming yet.. Or am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app
    12-31-2013 11:30 PM
    I have both note 2 and note 8 - sure wish note 8 had phone chip then I would only need one.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    01-01-2014 03:30 AM
    I like the spen. I want the Note 8.0 too ! •

I have the Note 8 and even though it's only 4.2.2, it does everything I need it to do. I got it because I liked the S-pen features of the Note 2 and my old ASUS Slider was severely outdated (ICS). I also have a Nexus 7 with 4.4.2 (KitKat) and for what I do with my devices I honestly don't see the advantages to the latest and greatest upgrades. My biggest complaint is the 3 devices all work a little differently (e-mail one example). I would love to have them all on the same platform just to be able to know where to click to do what, but other than that, they are all doing just fine with the Android version that they have.If my Note 2 never gets KitKat I don't think I will miss whatever it is supposed to offer, some more serious users may want the improvements, whatever they are supposed to be, personally I don't think I will miss them or need them.
    01-01-2014 07:32 PM
    Why would you think that the note 2 will get 4.4 then? The Note 3 doesn't even have kit kat update coming yet.. Or am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app
    Because, not only is it still in the update cycle of the promised 18 months Samsung would still provide updates, they can't use the excuse that it won't work on older hardware when it supports devices with only 512mb of memory. It will definitely get Kitkat.
    01-02-2014 12:24 AM
    Because, not only is it still in the update cycle of the promised 18 months Samsung would still provide updates, they can't use the excuse that it won't work on older hardware when it supports devices with only 512mb of memory. It will definitely get Kitkat.
    what's this "promised 18 months Samsung would still provide updates" that you're speaking of?

I have never heard that before, at least not on Verizon Samsung phones.
    01-17-2014 07:32 AM
    what's this "promised 18 months Samsung would still provide updates" that you're speaking of?

I have never heard that before, at least not on Verizon Samsung phones.
    Google clarifies 18 month Android upgrade program, details far from solidified
    01-17-2014 05:32 PM
    Two possibilities:

(1) Verizon Wireless didn't get the memo from Google

(2) Verizon Wireless did get the memo, but VZW execs are using it as toilet paper
    01-17-2014 08:17 PM
    There is no guarantee. Take a look at the HTC One x+ isn't getting 4.3,and that update is less than a year after the phone's release. The one x read still under 18 months when 4.3 was released and won't get it.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    01-18-2014 07:20 AM
    There is no guarantee. Take a look at the HTC One x+ isn't getting 4.3,and that update is less than a year after the phone's release. The one x read still under 18 months when 4.3 was released and won't get it.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Here€™s a list of Samsung devices that will receive Android 4.4 KitKat

Told you all, and this confirms that the Note 2 will definitely get Kitkat 4.4.
    z71kris likes this.
    02-18-2014 11:37 AM
    Here’s a list of Samsung devices that will receive Android 4.4 KitKat

I won't believe it tell I see it! No offense
    02-18-2014 01:34 PM
    Here’s a list of Samsung devices that will receive Android 4.4 KitKat

That doesn't mean VZW will release the update to us. They probably will, but that just means that 4.4 will go to the international and most GSM versions.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    02-18-2014 04:28 PM
    It is getting it. So is my note 8.0 tablet

phillthedrill likes this.
    02-19-2014 12:07 AM
    What are we getting with this update? I hope my phone stays running very good.
    02-19-2014 08:11 AM
    You're such negative people. lol Seriously! Samsung officially announced we'll get Kitkat and you find ways to dispute that right out of the ballpark. Have it your way. If international gets it, of course we will too....it takes longer, though. As far as the phone running good, it should run even better yet since they've signed on with google to get rid of a lot of useless bloat.
    02-19-2014 11:31 AM
    You're such negative people. lol Seriously! Samsung officially announced we'll get Kitkat and you find ways to dispute that right out of the ballpark. Have it your way. If international gets it, of course we will too....it takes longer, though. As far as the phone running good, it should run even better yet since they've signed on with google to get rid of a lot of useless bloat.
    Like I stated, I will be happy if my phone still runs beautiful.
    phillthedrill and Tony DeLuce like this.
    02-19-2014 11:37 AM
79 1234