Now that Android 4.4 Kit Kat is about to be released, will this make Note 2 three versions behind?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Jelly Bean only has 3 API levels covered, 16-18 which correspond to 4.1.x, 4.2.x and 4.3.x. If you're on any 4.2.x you're on API level 17. So the Note 2 is currently two levels behind (with many versions in between) and 19 is still at least a month out.

The Verizon GNex I'm not sure what version Verizon is on, mine's been on 4.3 since about 4 hours after it was announced thanks to devs.

A good question to ask is, "what features or stability improvements, etc. will 4.3 bring to the Note 2 that 4.2 wouldn't?", etc. When you're on such feaure heavy devices, pure android updates aren't often bringing a lot.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
If you have Android 4.0 or greater, you are going to be fine. I don't know what stellar features in 4.3 people are really looking forward to.

Features that are available in 4.2 were already done with applications before hand like lockscreen widgets.

Except for the rare instances, most developers are using the based sdk of 2.2 and if they are targeting any special features they are going to focus on 4.0 to get as much backwards compatible as possible.

Here is the latest Android version percentage picture. I wouldn't be surprise in a few months that 4.3 is only going to be 2-5 percent of the market.

Attachments

• dash.png
    dash.png
    133.4 KB · Views: 68

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Jelly Bean only has 3 API levels covered, 16-18 which correspond to 4.1.x, 4.2.x and 4.3.x. If you're on any 4.2.x you're on API level 17. So the Note 2 is currently two levels behind (with many versions in between) and 19 is still at least a month out.

The Verizon GNex I'm not sure what version Verizon is on, mine's been on 4.3 since about 4 hours after it was announced thanks to devs.

A good question to ask is, "what features or stability improvements, etc. will 4.3 bring to the Note 2 that 4.2 wouldn't?", etc. When you're on such feaure heavy devices, pure android updates aren't often bringing a lot.

Sadly, most people don't download the full SDK, so they don't understand API levels. It's a very important concept to understand that gets looked over by almost everyone.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
There has been a minor security update released to all Nexus devices and a bugfix for the 2013 Nexus 7, but it was only a patch to 4.3. 4.3.1 has not been released yet.

Oh, I see. Oops, sorry about that. But the Note 2 is still 5 updates behind in that case.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
If you have Android 4.0 or greater, you are going to be fine. I don't know what stellar features in 4.3 people are really looking forward to.

Features that are available in 4.2 were already done with applications before hand like lockscreen widgets.

Except for the rare instances, most developers are using the based sdk of 2.2 and if they are targeting any special features they are going to focus on 4.0 to get as much backwards compatible as possible.

Here is the latest Android version percentage picture. I wouldn't be surprise in a few months that 4.3 is only going to be 2-5 percent of the market.

IMO 4.0 is still unacceptable; 4.1 is fine. Project Butter and Google Now are now major parts of Android.
And yes, 4.2 doesn't bring a lot to the table that can't be done with an app, but 4.3 is a different story, as you can't achieve many of the under-the-hood changes with only an app, especially if you aren't rooted.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
IMO 4.0 is still unacceptable; 4.1 is fine. Project Butter and Google Now are now major parts of Android.
And yes, 4.2 doesn't bring a lot to the table that can't be done with an app, but 4.3 is a different story, as you can't achieve many of the under-the-hood changes with only an app, especially if you aren't rooted.

Unacceptable or not as witnessed by the chart it can't be discounted from a programming point of view. In my mind Gingerbread isnt acceptable either but in two years who knows where we will stand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Nope, 18 month update support window guarantee on all of Samsung's flagships.

The important thing to remember is that on average non nexus devices (even flagships) run at least 2 updates behind the nexus line.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Samsung confirmed today that the s4, s3 and note 2 will be getting Android 4.3 in October. They announced it during their note 3 event

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

jpriest007

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
4.1.2 works for me. My Galaxy Note 2 updated yesterday to 4.2.2. Big deal. The N2 fill all of my requirements as is.

4.2.2? You must be with another carrier then. Because Verizon is still on 4.1.2

Posted from my Galaxy Note 2 via Android Central App

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
depends on who you are how far behind youll be. im running 4.3 now. its not TW but its the latest and greatest

Presumably you're running a TW based ROM, though. That's the only way I'd root, else you're crippling things like the S Pen and Multi Window.

DWooderson

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Samsung confirmed today that the s4, s3 and note 2 will be getting Android 4.3 in October. They announced it during their note 3 event
Interesting. I'd like to be able to have a live lock screen (or whatever it's called), so that I can display new message alerts on the lock screen. I think I need 4.3 to do this.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I'd like to be able to have a live lock screen (or whatever it's called), so that I can display new message alerts on the lock screen. I think I need 4.3 to do this.

There is an app called Dynamicnotifications which does this.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

MissyHaney

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I didn't read it. I watched Samsung's Unpacked event where they announced the note 3 and galaxy gear and the VP stated that the update will be rolling out to the s4, s3 and note 2 in October.

just found it on Samsung's website under press releases... so it does appear that 4.3 is coming in October.... obviously it will be much later for Verizon Note 2, since it will be the final OTA update.

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
just found it on Samsung's website under press releases... so it does appear that 4.3 is coming in October.... obviously it will be much later for Verizon Note 2, since it will be the final OTA update.

Possibly or Verizon may also push it in October as Samsung may be pushing it for all carriers that month.

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Presumably you're running a TW based ROM, though. That's the only way I'd root, else you're crippling things like the S Pen and Multi Window.

no im not using a TW rom. i really never used the s pen, and the rom im using has halo which is sort of like multi windows, but im still not quite sure how to use it yet. when the OTA comes out and we get some 4.3 TW roms, ill likely switch for a bit. i love flashing and trying different roms

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
my main reason for buying the note 2 was not the s pen or multi windows. it was the screen size. i had heard such great things about samsung products and i loved the idea of a big screen, so i bought it. ive had it since feb and i hope the big screen line of phones never goes away.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan