Now that Android 4.4 Kit Kat is about to be released, will this make Note 2 three versions behind?

MissyHaney

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Now that Android 4.4 Kit Kat is about to be released, will this make Note 2 three versions behind?

(Verizon Galaxy Note 2 currently at 4.1.2.... no 4.2 or 4.3 yet.... probably will never be officially
updated to 4.4... at least not for another couple of years?)

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Officially, yes. I say who cares? It'll get 4.2 or 4.3 near the end of the year or beginning of the next. Honestly, there's no features I would miss if I were to rock the Note 2 again.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site

(Verizon Galaxy Note 2 currently at 4.1.2.... no 4.2 or 4.3 yet.... probably will never be officially

I am guessing that Google is requesting all phones move to the final version of Jellybean (4.3) if capable. So I am guessing it will get 4.3. but that will be the last update if it does receive it.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Rumor has it that Samsung is planning on skipping 4.2 for their devices. Not confirmed, as there was a leaked 4.2 for the S3.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It could be worse. I have a few friends who are still 6 months from upgrading and are still on Gingerbread.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, even a Google device like the Verizon Galaxy Nexus was 4 updates behind at one point... So for a non Nexus on Verizon to be behind 3 updates isn't terrible.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Well, even a Google device like the Verizon Galaxy Nexus was 4 updates behind at one point... So for a non Nexus on Verizon to be behind 3 updates isn't terrible.

VZW GNex was never more than 1 update behind...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
VZW GNex was never more than 1 update behind...

" How Many Updates Behind is the Verizon Galaxy Nexus? Four.

by: Kellex | posted 02.12.13 | News
verizon galaxy nexus

Over the last year, we have taken to pointing out publicly that the Verizon version of the Galaxy Nexus continues to fall further and further behind when it comes to updates. In fact, we created the idea of counting them out when the device fell three full updates behind other Nexus devices, a bandwagon that other sites appear to have jumped on. So since Android 4.2.2 is rolling out to the Galaxy Nexus (GSM version), we should probably update the count as it has officially reached four.

The last update that the Verizon Galaxy Nexus received was Android 4.1.1 (JRO03O) on September 21. Since then, Google has pushed out Android 4.1.2, 4.2, 4.2.1, and now 4.2.2 to the rest of their Nexus lineup. Count ?em ? that?s four full updates.

If you haven?t yet, be sure to read my thoughts on Nexus devices never being tied to another carrier again. It?s times like these that I?m not sure I even need to argue many of the points made.

Thank Buddha for custom ROMs. At least the device is still technically a ?Nexus.?'

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/02/12/how-many-updates-behind-is-the-verizon-galaxy-nexus-four/

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
" How Many Updates Behind is the Verizon Galaxy Nexus? Four.

by: Kellex | posted 02.12.13 | News
verizon galaxy nexus

Over the last year, we have taken to pointing out publicly that the Verizon version of the Galaxy Nexus continues to fall further and further behind when it comes to updates. In fact, we created the idea of counting them out when the device fell three full updates behind other Nexus devices, a bandwagon that other sites appear to have jumped on. So since Android 4.2.2 is rolling out to the Galaxy Nexus (GSM version), we should probably update the count as it has officially reached four.

The last update that the Verizon Galaxy Nexus received was Android 4.1.1 (JRO03O) on September 21. Since then, Google has pushed out Android 4.1.2, 4.2, 4.2.1, and now 4.2.2 to the rest of their Nexus lineup. Count ?em ? that?s four full updates.

If you haven?t yet, be sure to read my thoughts on Nexus devices never being tied to another carrier again. It?s times like these that I?m not sure I even need to argue many of the points made.

Thank Buddha for custom ROMs. At least the device is still technically a ?Nexus.?'

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/02/12/how-many-updates-behind-is-the-verizon-galaxy-nexus-four/

If you're counting minor updates, then the Note 2 is six updates behind: 4.1.2, 4.2, 4.2.1, 4.2.2, 4.3, and 4.3.1.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you're counting minor updates, then the Note 2 is six updates behind: 4.1.2, 4.2, 4.2.1, 4.2.2, 4.3, and 4.3.1.

Has 4.3.1 been updated officially to any devices yet? Anyway, even if it has, 4 updates behind on a Nexus device vs. 6 on a niche device isn't terrible, imo. Verizon has always been slow releasing updates so this isn't anything new. If your highest priority is getting timely updates, get either Nexus phones or gpe.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Has 4.3.1 been updated officially to any devices yet? Anyway, even if it has, 4 updates behind on a Nexus device vs. 6 on a niche device isn't terrible, imo. Verizon has always been slow releasing updates so this isn't anything new. If your highest priority is getting timely updates, get either Nexus phones or gpe.

4.3.1 has been released on Nexus devices.

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
By released do you mean the new version will be announced? Because won't it be a couple of weeks before it comes to devices?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
4.3.1 has been released on Nexus devices.

Huh, I googled Nexus 4 and 4.3.1 and couldn't find any info about it being pushed to the phones, but I will take your word for it. 5 updates or 6 updates behind isn't really a huge difference, imo, considering it is still jelly bean.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Zoinks! I'll be even further behind, my Note 2 is still on 4.1.1. :eek: Seriously though, it makes no difference to me. My Note 2 works great on the original release software it came with. :) I'm also rooted though, froze the OTA updater and have modified/tweaked the system, so at a minimum I'd have to reverse most of that to be able to take an OTA update (if one were to be available). Regardless though if rooted or not, there would have to be some very compelling reasons to update to newer software other than just that's it's newer. Personally, I need justifiable reasons to consider an update.

I guess my whole point is that updates are not without risk (rooted or not). They can cause system instability that may require a master (factory) reset to fix, or they can introduce new bugs or even break existing apps. In the meantime you're stuck waiting for another OS update to fix or for the dev to fix their app. :( Just something to consider when wishing for new OS updates. :)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Zoinks! I'll be even further behind, my Note 2 is still on 4.1.1. :eek: Seriously though, it makes no difference to me. My Note 2 works great on the original release software it came with. :) I'm also rooted though, froze the OTA updater and have modified/tweaked the system, so at a minimum I'd have to reverse most of that to be able to take an OTA update (if one were to be available). Regardless though if rooted or not, there would have to be some very compelling reasons to update to newer software other than just that's it's newer. Personally, I need justifiable reasons to consider an update.

I guess my whole point is that updates are not without risk (rooted or not). They can cause system instability that may require a master (factory) reset to fix, or they can introduce new bugs or even break existing apps. In the meantime you're stuck waiting for another OS update to fix or for the dev to fix their app. :( Just something to consider when wishing for new OS updates. :)

I would rather be on the latest software, as it may have security patches. Plus, I have extended warranty so if I have an issue, Verizon would just send me a replacement. Though I usually wait a few days after the release of an update to see if others are experiencing issues.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I would rather be on the latest software, as it may have security patches. Plus, I have extended warranty so if I have an issue, Verizon would just send me a replacement. Though I usually wait a few days after the release of an update to see if others are experiencing issues.

Normally I'd agree with you if we were talking about Windows, a system where Microsoft has had to resort to a monthly patch cycle to try to keep the system less vulnerable. IMHO, Android doesn't have the same threat landscape to warrant much concern, even with some outstanding unpatched security issues. The system is inherently more robust and takes a lot to be exploited. In particular it takes very risky end user behavior to potentially exploit the system (ex. installing apps from untrusted sources). Even then, you can typically just do a master (factory) reset and may be change your Google account password for good measure to get things back to a known clean state. :)

MissyHaney

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Normally I'd agree with you if we were talking about Windows, a system where Microsoft has had to resort to a monthly patch cycle to try to keep the system less vulnerable. IMHO, Android doesn't have the same threat landscape to warrant much concern, even with some outstanding unpatched security issues. The system is inherently more robust and takes a lot to be exploited. In particular it takes very risky end user behavior to potentially exploit the system (ex. installing apps from untrusted sources). Even then, you can typically just do a master (factory) reset and may be change your Google account password for good measure to get things back to a known clean state. :)

It's a moo point anyway.(like a cow's opinion, which doesn't matter) If we're lucky, Samsung and Verizon will release 4.3 update for the Verizon Galaxy Note 2 around March 2014. 4.3 will be the final OTA update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888