Small issue with my LTE Verizon unlocked phone while using internationally

Python49

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I ordered this Samsung Note 2 LTE Verizon version from USA and had a friend bring it over for me as I am living abroad. I've done this with iphone numerous times and no issues. This time with the Note 2, the phone is working with the local GSM sim card for making/receiving calls and texts, except for when I want to call a #, I can't dial it as "0123 456 789" for the phone number, I can only dial it when doing +xxx for the local area code. If I dial it with the 0123 it will randomly pop up as though it's calling something like +1250 123 456 789 or even more random numbers than that and call won't go through.

When I am trying to text people though it's the opposite. If I try to text them with the local area code prefix + their number it fails and doesn't go through. I have to text their # with the 0 first instead. The problem though is when they reply it comes through as the local area code + number and creates a real pain because I can't just hit reply to text them since it replies to the local area code which doesn't go through and only comes in through local area code. Anyone know how to sort this? My iphone just dials/texts with both the "0" and local area code interchangeably.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am not really familiar, but have you disabled assisted dialing?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Python49

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
if it matters at all, I downlaoded SMS pro to test to see if I can send texts there and I was able to send them just fine. In there when I try to text to 0123 456 789 it automatically switches the area code to +255 123 456 789 and the text goes through. In my normal messages with galaxy I try to just text to +255 123 456 789 and it fails everytime. I have restored phone to factory settings.

Also, the phone seems to be unlocked since I can make calls and receive them just fine with my sim card here, but for some reason it still says unknown non-verizon sim card.

Also,this same sim card I was able to use with my iphone for texting to +255 prefix and it worked without an issue -- would that mean that the sim card and SMSC settings are fine?

Last edited:

Python49

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Apologies for numerous consecutive posts, but am still trying to resolve this and am posting as more info comes in.

So I put in a different sim card from a different carrier into my phone and it's able to send text messages and receive them just fine. I then took the sim card I was previously using and put it into my girlfriends galaxy note 2, which she bought locally here, and that's ALSO able to send text messages just fine. So it seems to only be a specific problem with this particular carrier's SIM and MY particular phone. Surely the problem should be easy to identify here and correct? I'd like to not have to get a different phone number and sim. This carrier also has the best deals on minutes/usage.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
if it matters at all, I downlaoded SMS pro to test to see if I can send texts there and I was able to send them just fine. In there when I try to text to 0123 456 789 it automatically switches the area code to +255 123 456 789 and the text goes through. In my normal messages with galaxy I try to just text to +255 123 456 789 and it fails everytime. I have restored phone to factory settings.

Also, the phone seems to be unlocked since I can make calls and receive them just fine with my sim card here, but for some reason it still says unknown non-verizon sim card.

Also,this same sim card I was able to use with my iphone for texting to +255 prefix and it worked without an issue -- would that mean that the sim card and SMSC settings are fine?

The unknown sim message is normal when using a non Verizon sim

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463