Using Verizon Note II in UK - Permanently

AmongstTheDraugr

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I recently moved to the UK, and I'm using my Note II with an international SIM and I'm having some really annoying issues. The phone did not automatically register the international SIM (complete with "Non Verizon SIM" message) and I needed to call my carrier to have them help me manually set up the network parameters. I still have the "Non Verizon SIM" message, and although I can make calls and use data, my numbers keep switching back to the US international format, causing an error while texting or calling. Also, periodically while web browsing, a Verizon window pops up asking me to sign in.

Before I left, I asked Verizon what I needed to do to be able to use my phone abroad, and they assured me that it was unlocked and all I needed to do was pop in another SIM, as it's "global ready". I've had a bit of trouble with Samsung support also - they told me to take it to a local warranty repair center and they can flash it, remove the Verizon software and provide me with the correct software. I tried this, and the local warranty center told me that they couldn't do it (although I suspect he just didn't want to, as comments and grumbling about "American phones" were made...). I contacted Samsung support again and they suggested I contact Verizon to get my phone unlocked. Verizon now says they may not be able to help because my phone has been disconnected from their network. I can try another warranty center, that's not a problem, but at this point I'm incredibly confused as to what I need to do from here.... I'm more than ready to be Verizon free. What are my options? Can I remove all the incredibly annoying and unusable Verizon software and bloatware? Any advice on the situation would be helpful! Thanks in advance for your time and assistance!!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
In the Call settings, disable assisted dialing. Take a screen shot of the Verizon pop up window.

Some apps can be disabled. For full removal, you would probably need root.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

AmongstTheDraugr

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Ah, thank you, disabling assisted dialing has worked with calls, but I'm still having the same issue with texts. When I receive a text, it's still automatically changing the number back to the international format, causing an error. While I can manually go to the contact and specify what number to send to, it makes replying to a simple text a lengthy, annoying process. I can't seem to find a setting within messaging to help with this.

I uninstalled what Verizon software it would let me, and I haven't been getting the pop up Verizon log in window any longer.

I thought rooting might be the answer to get rid of the other Verizon software, I shall do my homework on that.

AmongstTheDraugr

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Scratch that, I can't send texts at all. I'm getting a "Class 0 Message" error from "Network Msg" stating, "Sorry, the number you are sending to does not contain the correct number of digits."

Assisted Dialing is still disabled. Enabling it again has no effect.

AmongstTheDraugr

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Ok, looking for some further assitance now....
I've rooted and unlocked bootloader, and now I'm looking into options for a different OS to solve the main issues from my first post (Non-Verizon SIM, calling/texting number formatting errors, etc.). Im looking for some suggestions on what to use.
Is it possible to flash a stock factory version of Jelly Bean with no specific service provider?
Also, I have read that a Verizon Note 2 will work on other networks, as I am doing, but will only get HSPA+ speeds, which I am getting. I should be getting at least 3G where I am. For the sake of this potentially being a silly question, and just for confirmation sake, wouldn't running a different OS other than that of Verizon fix this?

Any advice would be a great help!

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Also, I have read that a Verizon Note 2 will work on other networks, as I am doing, but will only get HSPA+ speeds, which I am getting. I should be getting at least 3G where I am.
When I used my Note2 in Austria and Czech, the speeds I got were quite comparable to what I see most of the time on 4G in Ohio. Was able to stream audio and video with no stutter, and web pages loaded quickly. Sometimes the screen showed HSPA+ and other times (I believe) it showed 3G. My phone isn't rooted, and I had no problems using the foreign SIMs.

Sorry cannot help with your other questions.