Just got this text message from Verizon:

Free VZW msg: We hope this message finds you well! We're pleased to reward you with a phone upgrade: you can now switch your 4GSmartPhone to any new basic or smartphone of your choice. We'd love to help you find the perfect device so feel free to call us at 866-312-7543 for more information or visit any Verizon store in OH - we'll be delighted to see you again! 2yr Agmt req'd. $30 upgrade fee will apply. You may send 'info' as a reply to this message to be removed from our list of all future VZW messages & special offers.

Guess they really want me off of unlimited data! TOO BAD!

Sent from my not yet outdated Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk!
    FSU30 likes this.
    11-16-2013 10:07 AM
    If your contact is over they send everyone that message, you will get more. They want everyone under contract

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    11-16-2013 10:33 AM
    I used over 31 GB this month. Hehe. Gotta love unlimited
    11-16-2013 07:12 PM
    I used my last loop hole at Go-Wireless when I picked up my Note 2. I've been preparing myself for retail price for a while now. I think it's no different than when I bought a new PPC every year, or a new laptop every other year. I use me phone for almost everything anyways.
    I think everyone has become addicted to free or subsidized upgrades anyway.
    11-16-2013 07:47 PM
    It's interesting how unlimited data was all the rage with these carriers when they were scrambling for customers. Now they all seem to be migrating away from it once all those untapped customer bases started dwindling. They now see their best path to increased revenues through tiered data charges due to the growing saturation of the market and the dwindling availability of new customers.

Like everyone else I want to keep my unlimited data forever. The harsh reality is that, once my contract is fulfilled neither I or my carrier are under any legal obligation to continue the terms of the agreement. I am free to migrate to another carrier and they are free to change the terms of my service. If they really want, once my contract is fulfilled, they can force me out of unlimited data. That reality is true for all of us. They typically won't because it would be a public relations disaster.

They are trying to entice you out of unlimited data with a new phone but should they really chose, they do have the legal right to just change your plan at will after your contract has expired. Stay with unlimited for as long as they will let you but eventually you should be prepared for the inevitable.

I'm sure you know all this but it's surprising how many others don't. So many don't read the fine print or ask the right questions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    brucedbr likes this.
    11-16-2013 08:59 PM
    It's interesting how unlimited data was all the rage with these carriers when they were scrambling for customers. Now they all seem to be migrating away from it once all those untapped customer bases started dwindling. They now see their best path to increased revenues through tiered data charges due to the growing saturation of the market and the dwindling availability of new customers.

Like everyone else I want to keep my unlimited data forever. The harsh reality is that, once my contract is fulfilled neither I or my carrier are under any legal obligation to continue the terms of the agreement. I am free to migrate to another carrier and they are free to change the terms of my service. If they really want, once my contract is fulfilled, they can force me out of unlimited data. That reality is true for all of us. They typically won't because it would be a public relations disaster.

They are trying to entice you out of unlimited data with a new phone but should they really chose, they do have the legal right to just change your plan at will after your contract has expired. Stay with unlimited for as long as they will let you but eventually you should be prepared for the inevitable.

I'm sure you know all this but it's surprising how many others don't. So many don't read the fine print or ask the right questions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    This is exactly what I have been trying to tell folks since they started phasing out unlimited data. You are grandfathered out of contract only for as long as the carrier decides to do so. At some point they will take away the out of contract unlimited. Just a matter of time.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-16-2013 09:07 PM
    Ive been out of contact for almost 2 years with Verizon and still have unlimited
    11-17-2013 07:02 AM
    Ive been out of contact for almost 2 years with Verizon and still have unlimited
    Same here. As such, I used to occasionally get a text or email about upgrading until I unsubscribed from their mailing list.
    11-17-2013 10:54 AM
    I haven't received that message yet. My sister just switched from a dumbphone to a smart phone and added the 2gb plan for $30 but she had to pay full price (LG G2). We're still saving a ton compared to the share plans.
    11-18-2013 10:32 AM