Sent to repair by samsung. What to expect ?

took2089

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
So last week my rooted note 2 suddenly died on me. I tried a few ways to get it back working (flashing to stock with Odin, ADB, different pcs, USB cables and ports etc) but my phone just couldn't communicate with any computer. So this morning I sent it to samsungs repair center. I'm just wondering what to expect. Will they see it's rooted and therefor it would be an out of warranty repair? Would that be the case if they only have to reflash the system ? Is it possible it's just needing a reflash or would this more likely be SDS and need a new Emmc chip/main board? Is it possible that the charging port went bad instead? What type of cost am I looking at? Anyone who's done a repair at samsung for this reason or similar. Thanks !

Some history: only could get into download mode and not recovery. When I power on it stays at the samsung text. When I try to charge it stays at the battery symbol and clear circle.

Let me know if you need any more info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
dont quote me for truth, however its my understanding that samsung wont void your warranty solely based on your phone being rooted. if you rooting the phone broke the phone then they would likely void warranty. if the charging port is bad they wouldnt. again i have no personal experience, but thats my understanding. i could be wrong

ejb1013

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Check this thread. Sounds like the same thing I went through. If so there is hope for you.

***EDIT ... I just reread your post and saw you already sent it in ... my thread wont help now but its still good info. Sorry.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Phone has a 1 yr mfg warranty. Could had gotten replacement from Verizon

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

skey

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
What kind of warranty does Verizon give. My daughters note 2 just died and it is only 6 months old, It just went black and will not boot up. they want to send a reconditioned replacement. Is that all you can expect?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
What kind of warranty does Verizon give. My daughters note 2 just died and it is only 6 months old, It just went black and will not boot up. they want to send a reconditioned replacement. Is that all you can expect?

All of the companies give refurbished phones as replacements. Some of them h have never been activated, just returned after they were bought.

took2089

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know how much an out of warranty repair on a note 2 be for either replacing the EMMC chip or main board? Thanks for your help !!

And is it samsung policy that if it's found to be rooted it cannot be touched by samsung for even an out of warranty repair ?

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how much an out of warranty repair on a note 2 be for either replacing the EMMC chip or main board? Thanks for your help !!

And is it samsung policy that if it's found to be rooted it cannot be touched by samsung for even an out of warranty repair ?

Samsung can tell you on the phone. Also if something like the chip or board has to be replaced, they are going to replace it and not even check to see if it is rooted. They are going to reflash the phone. If you send your phone in for replacement of the screen, they reflash. They reflash no matter what the repair is.

Call Samsung, tell them the problems you are having, don't mention root, they will give you a cost, send you a shipping label and you pay before you send your phone in.

took2089

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Samsung can tell you on the phone. Also if something like the chip or board has to be replaced, they are going to replace it and not even check to see if it is rooted. They are going to reflash the phone. If you send your phone in for replacement of the screen, they reflash. They reflash no matter what the repair is.

Call Samsung, tell them the problems you are having, don't mention root, they will give you a cost, send you a shipping label and you pay before you send your phone in.

I've already talked to Samsung on several occasions and have sent in my phone. They are in the process of sending the phone back to me and has refused to repair it because it is rooted. I have called on two occasions yesterday and both reps stated to me that they cannot fix it because it is rooted. They said it was "beyond economical repair". First rep talked to they tried to reflash it but that failed. I specifically asked second rep if they could change main board since it seems to be an software issue that can't be fixed without an hardware repair (change EMMC chip/mainboard) Second rep said they can't even touch the phone for repair as Samsung won't fix a phone that has been modified in any way (rooted). I am at a loss as to what to do next outside of just moving on and buying either another note 2 or note 3. Any suggests would be appreciated. Is there someone else who can fix my phone? Thanks !

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm..That's unusual, everyone that bricked their phone always just sent it in.

You might find more help on xda forums with fixing it. Also, if you are still on contract, many companies will let you upgrade early, not too early, but early if you have an account in good standing. Note 2 should be less expensive now that the Note 3 is out. You might can find a good price on a local Craig's List..but there are risks with that.

Something I just saw, don't know anything about it at all..

http://pegasusbox.com/

You might want to Google "Samsung phone repair"and see if you can find anything.

took2089

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm..That's unusual, everyone that bricked their phone always just sent it in.

You might find more help on xda forums with fixing it. Also, if you are still on contract, many companies will let you upgrade early, not too early, but early if you have an account in good standing. Note 2 should be less expensive now that the Note 3 is out. You might can find a good price on a local Craig's List..but there are risks with that.

Something I just saw, don't know anything about it at all..

http://pegasusbox.com/

You might want to Google "Samsung phone repair"and see if you can find anything.

Thanks for your help. I've already been on xda as I frequent that site often and have tried every step to fix it myself but my phone won't even communicate with any computer. I've also called samsung just now and the rep said the same thing that they can't fix it because rooting it caused the issue. I am not on contract currently as I bought the note 2 via swappa.com to preserve my unlimited data. (I take that back. I am under contract until March 2014 but it was purchased via swappa). I may try the repair company posted. by OP in a post on xda I believe located in UK.

Post from XDA referencing repair company

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2093599

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well I if your contract is until Match 2014, for many companies, they will allow an upgraded 3 months before the contract runs out, I can 6 months before my contract runs out at AT&T. Might be cheaper to just upgrade and get a new phone.

took2089

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Well I if your contract is until Match 2014, for many companies, they will allow an upgraded 3 months before the contract runs out, I can 6 months before my contract runs out at AT&T. Might be cheaper to just upgrade and get a new phone.

But if I upgrade I will lose my unlimited data. I may just get a new phone using alternate upgrade method but I'm going to send my phone to another repair center to see if they will fix it at cost to me first. I just don't get Samsung at all.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
yru3a7ev.jpg
I believe the warranty transfers to a new owner, but the start date of the 1 year warranty is from the date of purchase of the original owner.

Warranty is technically for the original owner only for most devices (check the warranty brochure that came with your phone for the specific terms). Sometimes warranty may be honored for secondary owners but they are not legally required to do so

Link to Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II manual
http://m.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SCH-I605TSAVZW

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Last edited:

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Warranty is technically for the original owner only for most devices (check the warranty brochure that came with your phone for the specific terms). Sometimes warranty may be honored for secondary owners but they are not legally required to do so
GTK, apple does honor the warranty if you sell the device.