Foxfi on 4.3

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I know this thread has about gone by the wayside, but I still have a question. I have been able to connect with Bluetooth tethering, but all I can do is access the internet, and then I get an annoying popup that I have to close before it actually connects each time.
I can't get e-mail, exchange e-mail, connect with Junos Pulse (SSLPN) or Citrix Receiver. I'm not sure what this accomplishes if surfing the Internet is not my primary goal.
Are we SOL at this point? What alternatives are available if we want to connect and get work done and wi-fi isn't available?
We pay for the service, what does it matter which device we use to access? I can do what I need to on the Note 2 but I would like to have the bigger screen of my Note 8 to better see what I am doing. I'm using the service either way, I can't (personally) use them both at the same time. I don't open the hotspot for a room full of people, I open it for me to use.
Is Bluetooth definitely limited or do I have something set up wrong that prevents me from using the other apps?

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I know this thread has about gone by the wayside, but I still have a question. I have been able to connect with Bluetooth tethering, but all I can do is access the internet, and then I get an annoying popup that I have to close before it actually connects each time.
I can't get e-mail, exchange e-mail, connect with Junos Pulse (SSLPN) or Citrix Receiver. I'm not sure what this accomplishes if surfing the Internet is not my primary goal.
Are we SOL at this point? What alternatives are available if we want to connect and get work done and wi-fi isn't available?
We pay for the service, what does it matter which device we use to access? I can do what I need to on the Note 2 but I would like to have the bigger screen of my Note 8 to better see what I am doing. I'm using the service either way, I can't (personally) use them both at the same time. I don't open the hotspot for a room full of people, I open it for me to use.
Is Bluetooth definitely limited or do I have something set up wrong that prevents me from using the other apps?

I used bluetooth in the past and it is definitely limited. Netflix didn't work. My university exchange account didn't work. And a few other things didn't work either. Not to mention that it was a slower connection as well.
This is the only reason I haven't taken the 4.3 update yet. I have started researching custom roms but I have been down that road in the past and there always seems to be something that is broken. I'd rather stay stock.
I guess your only option is to pay extra each month for hotspot or to change to a tiered plan that includes tethering. Not the best options.

Noted via tapatalk

PhotosByVGP

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I also upgraded to 4.3 by accident and now having the same Verizon Mobile Hotspot issues, so here is what I did to try to go around it with my S3 and the PDANET+ app:

I connected the S3 to my laptop ( using dongle ) and used the Activate USB Tether option on PDANET+. I had to install all the drivers and that good stuff, but atleast I got internet to work on the laptop. I then went into my network connections and shared the PDANET modem to my Local Area Connection. I then connected my lan cable from my laptop to the incomming slot of my wireless router and BAM now I have WIFI back in the house!

I know this can be used in home and not really mobile, but its better then nothing!

But let me tell you what happened next!!! this was my wifes phone, but I wanted it as a primary hotspot, so what I wanted to do is clean the phone up and take all her prefrences off. so started deleting apps, but then said F it, i'll just do a factory reset, so i did. I restarted the phone and added my a email to get PDAnet+ back on and Foxfi key. I turned off all email syncing and auto update off in the Play Store setting and just installed those two apps. I wanted the phone to have the bare miminum. Thick headed as I am I wanted to test the phone to see if I could get it to work and Activate the hotspot. It asked my to download a certificate and add a password or screenlock, so I did, but dont you know my wifi was back!!! Now some of you have a lot of apps and updates you are using with your phone, so I dont know once you starting updating will it go away, but for me leaving it as it is, is good enough for me. I did this last night and so far so good. Maybe someone how actually usses their phone can test.

so do test and reply back here, email me, or yell it to the world, but let us know! And if they ask tell them VGP did it :)

Good Luck guys!

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
This morning I tried activating the hotspot with Foxfi one more time to see if anything had changed. Much to my surprise, this time it asked to download a certificate. I clicked yes and after a couple of other clicks it fired right up. I didn't do this in my previous attempts, I have no idea why it did it today, but I am happy that it is now functioning again. Hope this wasn't a fluke and it will once again disappear, it tested it a few more times and even shut off the phone and restarted. As of right now it is still working. Hopefully Big Brother isn't watching the forum:)

Jay Sloan

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
This morning I tried activating the hotspot with Foxfi one more time to see if anything had changed. Much to my surprise, this time it asked to download a certificate. I clicked yes and after a couple of other clicks it fired right up. I didn't do this in my previous attempts, I have no idea why it did it today, but I am happy that it is now functioning again. Hope this wasn't a fluke and it will once again disappear, it tested it a few more times and even shut off the phone and restarted. As of right now it is still working. Hopefully Big Brother isn't watching the forum:)

I just checked my Foxfi and installed this same certificate and now all seems to be well. Not sure what or if they pushed something out but I'm happy happy happy it's working!!

Posted via Android Central App

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
This is awesome news guys. Please keep us updated if it continues to work. I will update my phone if foxfi starts working. That is the only thing holding me back.

Noted via tapatalk

grafcable

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
What is your currier? VZN or AT&T?

eth555

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
On verizon also; after 4.3 could not get FixFi to work. After seeing this thread, I reopened FoxFi and it asked to download a certificate; which I did and it now works!

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Great to hear FoxFi is working again! Question: for those of you who got FoxFi to work again, what version of FoxFi are you using?
I'm using FoxFi version 2.13 which I believe is an older version. FoxFi still works for me only because I had delayed the forced update.

If FoxFi doesn't work for me in the future, I would probably resort to rooting my phone to provide wireless tethering. Worst case is that I would (gulp!) pay Verizon an additional $29.99 monthly to get *authorized* wireless tethering.

On verizon also; after 4.3 could not get FixFi to work. After seeing this thread, I reopened FoxFi and it asked to download a certificate; which I did and it now works!

RiverDog

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm so glad I checked this thread! I was really bummed about losing my wifi hotspot. After reading the posts above I had to try it and just like the others said, I had to download a CA certificate, set a PIN (you have the option of setting a pattern, PIN, or password) and now it works! I'm running PDANet+ version 4.13.2. Thanks everyone and thanks Foxfi!

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
glad to see that FoxFi foxes are on this so quickly...

as of yesterday, my 100% stock never-rooted Verizon Galaxy Note 2 with 4.3 OTA update works perfectly with FoxFi!!!!!

The hotspot message is no longer there and my DVR, SmartTV, tablet, and even my home security
system can connect to the Note 2 via wifi flawlessly!

DevilJack

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah mine works as well now... It asked me to put a pin on my phone which I never use and now I can't get it off.. Any tips appreciated.

Sent from The Darkside of the Womb

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Just updated to 4.3. Haven't tried foxfi again yet but I will be using it almost daily once school starts again. I remember the same thing happened with my old Droid Razr Maxx. A Verizon update broke foxfi but they got around it using the certificate thing. Just glad it's working again! I really wanted to update but didn't want to have to root/rom.

Noted via tapatalk

DaManx22

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
So I just installed the certificate and everything is working perfectly as far as foxfi goes but I have a question about the lockscreen changes that were made during the certificate installation. They made me activate a screen lock by choosing a pattern,pin or password , I was not using a screen lock before this and now I'd like to change it back but on the screen lock settings page certain selections are now grayed out with a note under them saying "turned off by administrator,encryption policy or credential storage" how do I make the grayed out selections available to me?

DaManx22

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Here's a screenshot of what I'm trying to explain in the above post

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1388261573762.jpg
    1388261573762.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 23

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Just updated to 4.3. Haven't tried foxfi again yet but I will be using it almost daily once school starts again. I remember the same thing happened with my old Droid Razr Maxx. A Verizon update broke foxfi but they got around it using the certificate thing. Just glad it's working again! I really wanted to update but didn't want to have to root/rom.

Noted via tapatalk

I don't know what the heck is wrong with Verizon.... adding the roadblock for using FoxFi in the update is just silly.

I'm willing to bet that 99% of the people who use FoxFi are going to find a way to get around it one way or another.

If Verizon really wants to block people from using hotspot free of charge, all they have to do it update their internal
system to detect unpaid hotpost tethering. (even then, there are ways to get around it, if you root)

$20 is way too much to ask people to pay for hotspot. However, I'm sure most people will be happy to pay $5 to $10
per month. Instead of making $0, Verizon will make more money by lowering it to $5 to $10.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad