Foxfi on 4.3

min_is_3

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Apologies... I need to edit my statement. I tried as well. And it gave me a hard time. So I changed to pattern for the security lock. I swiped the wrong pattern a few times and the option for an email reset showed at the bottom of the screen. Give the pattern security option a try.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

That did the trick. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

DWooderson

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I have a stock VZW Note 2, running 4.1.2, not rooted (I tried to root, but couldn't get past some errors). I haven't received the 4.3 update yet.

I'm really interested in FoxFi to create a hotspot so that I can get rid of my VZW Aircard for my laptop when I travel. It's a PITA to fish it out of my bag, plug it in (USB), launch the buggy software, and wait while it connects. I have unlimited data, but I probably use very little compared to most.

Question: Do you all think that FoxFi is a stable and reliable solution going forward, even with a non-rooted stock Note 2 running 4.3? Should I install FoxFi before installing the 4.3 update? I just have a hard time believing that VZW isn't going to somehow disable this app with an update.

I'm also considering rooting (might need some help), and disabling the 4.3 update, and researching other ways to get the WiFi hotspot enabled. I don't want to fix something that isn't broken.

What is the best route here? Thanks!

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Having worked with 4.3 for a couple of days, I don't see any real advantage over 4.1.2. I'd just refuse the updates and use FoxFi under its unrestricted mode.

Right now I plan to go the PIN route for those occasions when I need to use FoxFi (I only use it as a backup when I travel or when my home broadband has issues), and then eliminating the PIN when I'm done. I don't use a security procedure in turning my phone on, nor do I require a swipe screen. Simply boots up to my home screen.

min_is_3

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I have a stock VZW Note 2, running 4.1.2, not rooted (I tried to root, but couldn't get past some errors). I haven't received the 4.3 update yet.

I'm really interested in FoxFi to create a hotspot so that I can get rid of my VZW Aircard for my laptop when I travel. It's a PITA to fish it out of my bag, plug it in (USB), launch the buggy software, and wait while it connects. I have unlimited data, but I probably use very little compared to most.

Question: Do you all think that FoxFi is a stable and reliable solution going forward, even with a non-rooted stock Note 2 running 4.3? Should I install FoxFi before installing the 4.3 update? I just have a hard time believing that VZW isn't going to somehow disable this app with an update.

I'm also considering rooting (might need some help), and disabling the 4.3 update, and researching other ways to get the WiFi hotspot enabled. I don't want to fix something that isn't broken.

What is the best route here? Thanks!

I already had foxfi installed on 4.1.2 before i upgraded to 4.3, then i ran foxfi after the update, installed the certificate that it prompts for, removed the lock screen pin, and everything is working as it did. I'm not rooted and everything works fine. I can still connect all my devices and I'm watching a movie through chromecast tethered to my foxfi as I type this.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

jbsmith_05

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,
I too got this to work with my stock vzw 4.3 (where portable wifi hotspot, which was my preferred app, doesn't). However, does anyone know what this certificate is actually doing? Am I granting access to my device to foxfi or someone/thing else? I'm a bit of a privacy nut so I want to know what this is doing, where it sending my data, who can see it, etc.

Any help into what the certificate is doing (or is for) is appreciated.

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,
I too got this to work with my stock vzw 4.3 (where portable wifi hotspot, which was my preferred app, doesn't). However, does anyone know what this certificate is actually doing? Am I granting access to my device to foxfi or someone/thing else? I'm a bit of a privacy nut so I want to know what this is doing, where it sending my data, who can see it, etc.

Any help into what the certificate is doing (or is for) is appreciated.

I also use Portable wifi hotspot. I haven't upgraded yet but was wondering have you tried using it after you downloaded the certificate for foxfi?

jbsmith_05

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I also use Portable wifi hotspot. I haven't upgraded yet but was wondering have you tried using it after you downloaded the certificate for foxfi?

No the foxfi certificate doesn't make the Portable wifi hotspot app work...tried it, only makes foxfi's hotspot app work.

I'd still like to know what that certificate is doing however.

marcodif

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I have Verizon Galaxy Note 2 with recent Android 4.3 update and unlimited data. Prior to the update I could use Tethering Widget, similar concept to FoxFi, but free and it worked FLAWLESSLY. However, after 4.3 update, it stopped working and got the Verizon message. I've always had pattern lock on my phone so I never had to set it. Took one time of loosing my phone with contacts (Palm Treo days), and photos of those contacts to freak me out. From then on, screen lock. I installed FoxFi and am testing it out with the free version before I pay the $8. So far it works fine, I installed the certificate. I got over 25Mbps down on my Kindle Fire HD that was tethered via FoxFI Wifi connection. I think the $8 will be worth it. Next time I will wait a few weeks after other people upgrade Android before I take the plunge. Issues like this, and the fact that the Photosphere app is not included in Verizon's Android 4.3 update, will put me on the slow release for the future. Yeah, I got the Photosphere APK installed, but then it's a difficult process to find out what is the current version APK to use. Can't wait until there is a equal carrier rival to Verizon.

d3m0sthenes

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
So I've just gone through the process of updating to 4.3 and then running the certificate/pin process to get FoxFi working again, and it seems to work BUT....

Before I could cruise for hours with multiple devices sucking my unlimited data, but now my wifi hotspot craps out after about 10 minutes or so.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm running the Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The 4.3 just came to my husband's N2, but not mine so far......I am having him continue to defer. I'm not exactly sure what good things come with that update, and would like to know,
but I am going to defer when it comes to mine so that I can continue to use foxfi with no issues.

Margie
Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
So I've just gone through the process of updating to 4.3 and then running the certificate/pin process to get FoxFi working again, and it seems to work BUT....

Before I could cruise for hours with multiple devices sucking my unlimited data, but now my wifi hotspot craps out after about 10 minutes or so.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm running the Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

Their site on the Play Store says that there is a time limit with the free version, this might be what you are experiencing. The paid version doesn't have this limitation according to their comments. It would be worth the $7 and change if you use it enough, I don't, but it's still better than $20-30 dollars a month for the Verizon charge to open up the hot-spot. There is a caution on this forum that Foxfi may not work if we ever get an upgrade to 4.4, so take that into consideration if you opt for the paid version.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Foxfi may not work if we ever get an upgrade to 4.4, so take that into consideration if you opt for the paid version.

I was wondering about that. What if I buy the Note 4 at the end of this year(2013)? It will no doubt come with 4.4. Kit Kat or later.
Even if I pay full retail price to Verizon, the "free" hotspot tethering will be history?

Mustachio

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
The enter-email-to-reenable-the-regular-swipe-to-unlock trick didn't work for me on my SCH-I605. On the Select Screen Lock screen, the first entry, SWIPE, is still greyed out, "turned off by...credential storage".

Wise_Rebel

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I have found bits and pieces about this subject in other threads but I thought it would be good to have a specific thread for it.

I have unlimited data and I use Foxfi almost every day. If it isn't working on 4.3 that would be a deal breaker and I would either just stay on 4.1 or root and put a rom on it.

Has anyone with unlimited data been able to get Foxfi or a similar app working with the update?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX