Question about switching to AT&T

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a note 2 and my wife has a gs3 with Verizon and I called AT&T to see what the $160 plan with 10 GB of data was. I could save $115 if I would switch. The lady on the phone said I most likely would be able to switch over our phones all I would need is to give them my IEMI number and switch out the Sim cards. Is this possible or was she jus blowing smoke up my arse?
Any help would be helpful.

longsock123

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, unless you have an unlocked phone, the radios or something won't work from carrier to carrier unless it's rooted. I think she's BSing you

DevilJack

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Don't they work on different networks..Also make sure you have attached coverage... Verizon is tough to beat coverage wise

Sent from The Darkside of the Womb

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Service it's good here. I'm just tired of paying so much.

What is attached coverage btw?

Last edited:

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry but I don't understand.

She Meant AT&T is GSM and Verizon is CDMA. I believe AT&T and TMobile are both GSM, so you may be able to use phones on either of those networks if they are GSM. Verizon and I believe Sprint are CDMA which is Why it may not work. I've read some threads of People being able to get their Verizon phones to work on AT&T, but all the replies of people trying to do it to theirs come up with not being able to do it.

I'd like to do the same thing, Switch to AT&T when my contract with Verizon is up, for the same reason as you. I bought my Note 2 full retail, because I wanted the phone so bad. It may be a problem though, since it's a Verizon phone. I may be stuck with Verizon longer now because of it. I hate the price of Verizon, but the Coverage is the only reason I stay or may continue to stay.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I hear ya. I know that that Verizon is CDMA and AT&T is GSM. and I know that they are both different radios. I read somewhere that it was possible but who knows. I'll see in a few days if it is even worth it. I like the coverage of Verizon so that alone may sway me to stay.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Our Verizon Note 2's have GSM radios, as they're world phones. That won't be the problem; getting the phone totally unlocked for use on the domestic AT&T network will be the issue. If you can get completely unlocked, you should have no problems getting onto AT&T.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I hear ya. I know that that Verizon is CDMA and AT&T is GSM. and I know that they are both different radios. I read somewhere that it was possible but who knows. I'll see in a few days if it is even worth it. I like the coverage of Verizon so that alone may sway me to stay.

How would I go about getting them unlocked?

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Many times verizon will give you a code to unlock the phone if you just call and ask. Especially if you are no longer under contract with the phone.

Noted via tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Our Verizon Note 2's have GSM radios, as they're world phones. That won't be the problem; getting the phone totally unlocked for use on the domestic AT&T network will be the issue. If you can get completely unlocked, you should have no problems getting onto AT&T.

The Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II is factory sim unlocked. With the latest update, the apn is unlocked as well. So you would be able to get voice text and data speeds up to 4g(but not 4glte) when used on AT&T. You will need to manually edit the apn.

I have personally tried a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II and Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on tmobile and both worked fine. The Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 was able to get 4glte on T-Mobile with the latest update but root is required if you want to auto switch from 4GLTE to anything else. You can manually switch without root

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Thank you. I didn't realize typo. Lol. Verizon and sprint are CDMA.
Verizon has come up with new price plans. I can tell you though that customer care is best with Verizon as well as coverage. I sold wireless for multi carriers and Verizon always the best. I have also been a customer for many years. I can't give up good service and coverage. Not worth it to me. Its my only communicator and depend on their coverage

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Well customer care with Verizon is a big hit or miss. They are sometimes very nice to me and other times very mean. But yes they are better than sprint in regards to customer service. With AT&T they are very nice and polite.

purwater

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I can confirm that the Note 2 will work just fine switching from Verizon to AT&T. I've been considering moving to AT&T or one of their MVNOs lately to save some money. AT&T didn't have great coverage for me in the past, but I wanted to see if things had changed as much as I had been told. I picked up a Straight Talk AT&T Sim and tried it out. All I had to do was power off the phone and swap the Sim and power back up. It instantly recognized the phone as being on AT&T. My voice and texts worked right away. I had to add the APN settings provided by Straight Talk in the kit. After updating those and rebooting I had data and MMS as well. I used the phone for the entire 30 days without an issue. The only negative is that the Note 2 won't use AT&T LTE as mentioned above. I was maxed at their slower version of "4G" on HSPA+ which usually gave me between 3 and 8 mb/s. That speed was fine for my use so that wasn't a problem. Also there was a note in the notification bar that always said "non Verizon sim inserted" when you open up the notifications. Not a big deal, but it never went away. I'm not sure if there is some way to clear that out or not. I also tried my iPhone 5S and it worked just as well as the Note 2 did when using the AT&T Sim. I'm waiting on my contract to end and then I'm switching my 4 lines to either AT&T or an MVNO and I plan to use our 3 Verizon phones that are LTE unlocked.