Verizon Note 2: Foxfi with 4.4.2

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Foxfi with 4.4.2

Getting back to the original question by the OP.

Currently people on 4.4 devices have the option to pay Verizon for their service, or to go without. If that's a problem, complain to Google.

I thought you were actually trying to turn this around when you said "Getting back to the original question by the OP" but then you let me down by simply returning to your "pay for the services" stand and I still don't have an answer on how to get the functionality I need using Bluetooth. That was the original question but it was long ago lost in the smoke.I guess you also missed the fact that I DO pay for my service.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

I thought you were actually trying to turn this around when you said "Getting back to the original question by the OP" but then you let me down by simply returning to your "pay for the services" stand and I still don't have an answer on how to get the functionality I need using Bluetooth. That was the original question but it was long ago lost in the smoke.I guess you also missed the fact that I DO pay for my service.

I think you are missing my point (this time). I was not making another "pay for the services comment". We have had that conversation. What I was saying was that it looks like Google has made a change to the way things work in 4.4 that keeps apps like FoxFi from working, and that you needed to complain to Google to undo that change. With each release of Android, Google locks it down a little more. The only way we will get them to stop doing that is to complain.

Short of that, it appears the only way to get tethering for 4.4 devices is to specifically pay Verizon for tethering. It might be worth checking with them. They added it to all the phones on our account for free. They might do that for you as well.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

According to the VZW rep, my data plan is $30. Want hotspot? Another $30. Total: $60.

For $30, I would be stealing it too. :)

How long ago was that conversation? I'm on a business account, but six months ago Verizon gave it to all of us for free. Might be worth calling again.

yourphonemyphone

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site

For $30, I would be stealing it too. :)

How long ago was that conversation? I'm on a business account, but six months ago Verizon gave it to all of us for free. Might be worth calling again.

That conversation took place this morning. (March 5, 2014) :)

Was told that the $30 fee for hotspot cannot be waived or discounted. (not that I was surprised, but I just thought it wouldn't to try, right? :D )

Last edited:

Bohanna1

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Not trolling at all just pointing to a few FACTS about the way the Carriers are trying to HIJACK the smartphone technology market by going to the operating system writers and retro-disabling the technology. It seems to me that you are shilling and running defense for the carriers who offer all kinds of plans that trick you into believing that you are getting what you think you are getting while they do EVERYTHING they can to limit the amount of data you use over their networks! Thats not trolling. BTW if YOU think I am going to play by YOUR rules think again! - Bohanna
I notice you are a new account with all your posts on this one topic. You're just trolling, right? You almost got me, but the random words with all caps and misspelling Linux gave you away.

Good one.

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Let me restate my original question and see if there is a solution. I am on 4.3 with my Note 2 with Verizon. I can use Foxfi on the rare occasions when wifi is not available, and teather to my Note 2 with my Note 8 to accomplish a couple of short tasks using my SSLVPN. All is good now, Foxfi works once again with wifi, after the short pause until they found the certificate fix (with short pause I mean a couple of days). During that time the Bluetooth option was all that was available and I couldn't get Junos Pulse (SSLVPN) or my e-mail to work on Bluetooth. I have read that Bluetooth and USB will be the only options that will work with Foxfi after the 4.4.2 update. If there is no workaround on Bluetooth then I am DOA.
My question is, can I make Bluetooth work or do I have to wait for a wifi connection to do what I need to do?

I can do what I have to do with the Note 2, it's just easier on the bigger screen. I seldom do this, it's not an issue that I am willing to pay another $30 a month just to have it available, just in case I need it on the fly. I'm just trying to plan ahead. Foxfi is serving the purpose now, but it sounds like it won't when we get 4.4.2. I'm with Verizon, so at the rate they move with updates, I probably have quite some time before the lights go out.

Bohanna1

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I hope this answers your question... I have a note 2 on sprints everything plan and I am running the 4.3 update and the ONLY way I can NOW tether is with PDAnet through Bluetooth. I'm using it right now , Foxfi doesn't work. I get the you have to contact sprint Blah Blah Blah message but I have NEVER used Foxfi so I'm not sure if the new fix you mentioned will help me. I have to sometimes quit the PDA desktop on my computer and sometimes I have to disable PDAnet on the phone for a second and re-enable it on the phone but It DOES work even though its much slower than It used to be through the USB port. MUCH slower!! FYI- I can't charge the phone through the computers USB port and tether at the same time so I have to use the standalone charger when I tether. Please let us know how you got the foxfi to work again. If I were you I wouldn't do ANY updates until the dust has settled and you have a better answer but my guess is they can't disable the bluetooth ability without making it impossible for earpiece headsets and other bluetooth devices function and If they do that they will be bombarded with law suits from drivers who are being put at risk due to the carrier's shannagins!! Bohanna
Let me restate my original question and see if there is a solution. I am on 4.3 with my Note 2 with Verizon. I can use Foxfi on the rare occasions when wifi is not available, and teather to my Note 2 with my Note 8 to accomplish a couple of short tasks using my SSLVPN. All is good now, Foxfi works once again with wifi, after the short pause until they found the certificate fix (with short pause I mean a couple of days). During that time the Bluetooth option was all that was available and I couldn't get Junos Pulse (SSLVPN) or my e-mail to work on Bluetooth. I have read that Bluetooth and USB will be the only options that will work with Foxfi after the 4.4.2 update. If there is no workaround on Bluetooth then I am DOA.
My question is, can I make Bluetooth work or do I have to wait for a wifi connection to do what I need to do?

I can do what I have to do with the Note 2, it's just easier on the bigger screen. I seldom do this, it's not an issue that I am willing to pay another $30 a month just to have it available, just in case I need it on the fly. I'm just trying to plan ahead. Foxfi is serving the purpose now, but it sounds like it won't when we get 4.4.2. I'm with Verizon, so at the rate they move with updates, I probably have quite some time before the lights go out.

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I hope this answers your question... I have a note 2 on sprints everything plan and I am running the 4.3 update and the ONLY way I can NOW tether is with PDAnet through Bluetooth. I'm using it right now , Foxfi doesn't work. I get the you have to contact sprint Blah Blah Blah message but I have NEVER used Foxfi so I'm not sure if the new fix you mentioned will help me. I have to sometimes quit the PDA desktop on my computer and sometimes I have to disable PDAnet on the phone for a second and re-enable it on the phone but It DOES work even though its much slower than It used to be through the USB port. MUCH slower!! FYI- I can't charge the phone through the computers USB port and tether at the same time so I have to use the standalone charger when I tether. Please let us know how you got the foxfi to work again. If I were you I wouldn't do ANY updates until the dust has settled and you have a better answer but my guess is they can't disable the bluetooth ability without making it impossible for earpiece headsets and other bluetooth devices function and If they do that they will be bombarded with law suits from drivers who are being put at risk due to the carrier's shannagins!! Bohanna
Thanks for the reply. The fix to the problem with my Verizon phone just popped up, I didn't request it, so I don't know how you might apply it on Sprint, if possible. I did see a post about cancelling the contact Verizon option and letting it proceed, but with Sprint it may be a different issue. Check the Foxfi app on the Play Store and see if there are any reviews that address your problem. My issue is, I can get basic internet connection on Bluetooth but can't use certain apps, e-mail and Junos Pulse the main concerns.

altimadc

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Of course you are. When you signed up with Verizon, you entered into a contract with them where they would provide you certain services for a certain amount of money. One of those services was some amount of data, that you were allowed to use in certain ways. Wifi tethering was not one of those ways. If you wanted to use it for that, you were obliged to sign up for a different plan.

So, if you are using a feature that you haven't paid for, I look at that as "stealing". What would you call using something you haven't paid for?

Actually WiFi Hotspot is included by law in all capped plans due to the 2012 FCC ruling against Verizon. However Verizon is still trying to circumvent the ruling by thwarting third party WiFi Hotspot apps from running at every turn and then trying to sell you their hotspot app for 20/month and cover their violation by saying the money covers the also included 2GB more data. So if you can get a third party hotspot app like FoxFi to work then you are not stealing anything and it is perfectly lawful. I have spent a lot of time on the phone with Verizon verifying this. You can also simply google verizon FCC hotspot ruling.

patrickd314

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

Verizon's "More Everything Plan" that they are currently peddling is a flat $40, $50 or $60 per month for 1,2 or 3 gig data usage, respectively, plus $40 per smartphone. It specifically stipulates, "Use your capable smartphones and tablets as Wi-Fi hotspots at no additional cost." So if you are on this plan, and have an Android version that supports FoxFi, Verizon will, reluctantly, give you love. But they will no doubt be thrilled to see you "upgrade" to 4.4, which (surprise!) nukes support for tethering apps; in order to tether then, you will need one of their "free" (with contract) hardware tethering gadgets for the monthly fee of $20. It's all legal, 'cause the fee is for the device, not the tethering!

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Verizon's "More Everything Plan" that they are currently peddling is a flat $40, $50 or $60 per month for 1,2 or 3 gig data usage, respectively, plus $40 per smartphone. It specifically stipulates, "Use your capable smartphones and tablets as Wi-Fi hotspots at no additional cost." So if you are on this plan, and have an Android version that supports FoxFi, Verizon will, reluctantly, give you love. But they will no doubt be thrilled to see you "upgrade" to 4.4, which (surprise!) nukes support for tethering apps; in order to tether then, you will need one of their "free" (with contract) hardware tethering gadgets for the monthly fee of $20. It's all legal, 'cause the fee is for the device, not the tethering!

If these plans allow tethering, why would you need Foxfi and why do you need a device? Why can't you just activate the hotspot? What is the device, something you plug into the phone? I currently have 4.3 and unlimited data. I have 4.4.2 on my Nexus 7 and have yet to find any advantages over 4.3. My phone works fine like it is, if Verizon ever does push out 4.4.2 I'll just avoid it if I can.

dishnfish

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

I'm now paying the $30 a month to tether for the first time in over 7 years. I live in the middle of nowhere and Verizon is my only option for cell phones or good internet. We do Xbox live and a ton of other wireless devices. Wether its fair or not our carriers can change almost anything they want on their products. And it is stealing in a way. This month we've used almost 70 gigs and counting. But as soon as I get this maxx rooted, (hopefully soon) I will not be paying this $360.00 a year to use my phone the way I want! Stealing or not.

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site

I'm now paying the $30 a month to tether for the first time in over 7 years. I live in the middle of nowhere and Verizon is my only option for cell phones or good internet. We do Xbox live and a ton of other wireless devices. Wether its fair or not our carriers can change almost anything they want on their products. And it is stealing in a way. This month we've used almost 70 gigs and counting. But as soon as I get this maxx rooted, (hopefully soon) I will not be paying this $360.00 a year to use my phone the way I want! Stealing or not.

only 70gb in a month? there are others who are in the same situation as you are... (i.e. rural and even some suburban areas not serve by cable/dsl broadband)
they use more than 250gb a month. (think Netflix, MLB streaming, Hulu, RedBox, etc)

marcodif

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Can you point me to the location on my service agreement/contract that says I cannot use either a OS built-in tether function nor a tether app to access the data portion of my phone? As for the FCC ruling, what it is is if you have a plan where you pay for the data based on usage, like the new plans, you cannot be charged to access the tethering function of the OS nor a tethering app because you are paying already for the data as it's used. Of course for unlimited customers I believe it is different. But I am almost positive that there is nothing in my contract that says I cannot tether. Like one of the users said here, if I am paying for my data, and I put my phone down and pick up a tablet to access my data via tethering on my phone, it's still the same amount of data use. Tethering is actually slower. However, if I allow someone else to tether while I use my data then it becomes "an issue" because I am now consuming data for 2 users, or almost twice the data, which affects their performance. And yes, from time to time my son needs an internet connection in the car for his tablet and I give him my tethering. I will stay away from the upgrade unless it's forced upon me. If it's forced, my answer to Verizon (are you listening Verizon, because this is for you) will be when I am sitting at my desk all day not using my phone I will turn on Netflix and stream video all day while charging my phone. After all, I am paying for the unlimited data, so technically I should be able to access unlimited data 24/7. And I will. I expect my data usage is going to quadruple.