Kit Kat observations on the Verizon Galaxy Note 2

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
This update is horrible. Streaming video on 4g or wifi via hulu plus and hbo to go stutters. I am very unhappy with verizon as they just ruined my phone as I use hbo to go and hulu plus daily and now I cant use it. Time to call and complain to them and if they dont fix the problem that they caused with this update they forced on us I will complain to the bbb and my states attorney general

Posted via Android Central App

Before you call the President, try resetting the phone. My phone has 4.4.2 on it and I haven't had the issues you are having.

min_is_3

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that when listening to Pandora if I lock my phone and then go to unlock it the home screen is the album art for the song that's on. I do have a question, when I reboot the phone I get a notification up top that says "Network may be monitored by a 3rd party". I click on it and it says that one of my "Trusted Certificates" is allowing a 3rd party to monitor my network activity, emails etc. If I click on check trusted securities I get a list of 30 or so random names that are checked off. Some of them say Root etc. I can't figure out what this 3rd party certificate is and if it's an issue with security and being monitored. Could be the NSA??? :)

Do you have foxfi installed?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

min_is_3

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed that when using Chrome that when I go to a website that it will load but be blank. Also a lot of apps will just sit there and load takes a lot longer than before the update.

Try installing the Samsung chrome library app from the play store. It greatly increased the speed of chrome.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

jpriest007

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Isis wallet won't open if you select Google wallet as the default payment app. Just because you make one app default shouldn't prevent you from using another.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 2 via Android Central App

Jay Sloan

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, as a Google Wallet user, I'm interested...

Can any FoxFi users comment on how that app is working under KitKat?

FoxFi is working fine, used it several times since updating. Have to and manually turn on the stock Hotspot in settings, but it prompts you and gives you a link to get there quick. Speed seems similar, didn't notice any lag. Glad they got it fixed, wouldn't have updated if the app hadn't been updated to handle KitKat. Best of luck.

Posted via Android Central App

Liquidretro

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Anyone noticed the voice in Google Maps is now different when running navigation? I get a British Female. She is pretty smooth. Not sure if this is because of 4.3 or a Google Maps update.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Anyone noticed the voice in Google Maps is now different when running navigation? I get a British Female. She is pretty smooth. Not sure if this is because of 4.3 or a Google Maps update.

No British accent on my Maps, but I'd be fine if there was. I like their accent. :)

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
No British accent on my Maps, but I'd be fine if there was. I like their accent. :)

Lol. Do you have GPS on in location settings before you use maps or turn it on once using it then turn it off right after? I'm curious to know if I should just leave GPS on in location settings. Will it run battery or does GPS not run unless you are using an app that needs it? It's different now.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Lol. Do you have GPS on in location settings before you use maps or turn it on once using it then turn it off right after? I'm curious to know if I should just leave GPS on in location settings. Will it run battery or does GPS not run unless you are using an app that needs it? It is set up differently so I am confused. Lol

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Lol. Do you have GPS on in location settings before you use maps or turn it on once using it then turn it off right after? I'm curious to know if I should just leave GPS on in location settings. Will it run battery or does GPS not run unless you are using an app that needs it? It's different now.

I really don't know how it affects battery life in Kit Kat. I always turn it OFF when not using an app that requires it but that doesn't mean I need to turn it off, as I'm just doing what I've done for years, to conserve the battery.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I really don't know how it affects battery life in Kit Kat. I always turn it OFF when not using an app that requires it but that doesn't mean I need to turn it off, as I'm just doing what I've done for years, to conserve the battery.

Yeah I hear that. It's annoying having to go into the settings everytime I need to use Google maps though. Hmm...

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I bought a battery really cheap through Amazon. it's an Anker battery and it works fine. I also bought a charger for it for less than $9 and it also works great. Gotta love Amazon Prime

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
What I have noticed in the past few days is that my screen keeps turning on for about a second then turning off. It will do that just about all day but it's random. It's more often than not. Any one else experiencing this and know how to fix this?
Update: I even turned smart stay off and back on again.

Last edited:

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Well my excitement about greatly improved battery life has been short lived. While my battery is still showing improvement, my phone is now acting extremely erratic. Lagging with just about everything, including AndroidCentral app. I haven't installed any new apps since the update. I've cleared caches, deleted any unwanted files (nothing system related just downloads and pictures). I've removed the SD card also to no avail.

The worst part is my note2 keeps "turning off" regularly....I will take my phone out and hit the power button and nothing happens. The only thing that works is pulling the battery. Any ideas?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Well my excitement about greatly improved battery life has been short lived. While my battery is still showing improvement, my phone is now acting extremely erratic. Lagging with just about everything, including AndroidCentral app. I haven't installed any new apps since the update. I've cleared caches, deleted any unwanted files (nothing system related just downloads and pictures). I've removed the SD card also to no avail.

The worst part is my note2 keeps "turning off" regularly....I will take my phone out and hit the power button and nothing happens. The only thing that works is pulling the battery. Any ideas?

Maybe do a factory reset. that fixes a lot of ills.

Liquidretro

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Under Settings - Storage - Miscellaneous files

My Miscellaneous files shows as 5.79GB and 5.67GB of that is "System Memory".

Any idea how to clear this? It has to be a mistkke as most of the items in that folder are under 1mb.