after Kit Kat update, wifi sometimes doesn't turn on after phone wakes up

yourphonemyphone

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this problem.

After the Kit Kat update, my Note 2 works just fine.

However, wifi sometimes doesn't turn on after the phone wakes up. If I go into the wifi menu under settings, I can't change between on and off. The button is just greyed out. The only way around it is to turn airplane mode on and off and then go back into the wifi menu. At that point, wifi can be turned on again.

I have already tried restoring the phone completely twice. The issue still persists.

Any advice appreciated! :)

yourphonemyphone

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried clearing the system cache in recovery?

Yes.... when that didn't work, I did a factory reset.... then cleared system cache again.... followed by another factory reset.

I have two Verizon Galaxy Note 2 phones and they're both having the exact same problem after Kit Kat. :(

The problem does not appear if I allow the phone to keep wifi on during sleep.(by selecting "always")

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes.... when that didn't work, I did a factory reset.... then cleared system cache again.... followed by another factory reset.

I have two Verizon Galaxy Note 2 phones and they're both having the exact same problem after Kit Kat. :(

The problem does not appear if I allow the phone to keep wifi on during sleep.(by selecting "always")

I KNEW there was a reason I wanted to keep my unlimited data. :) Cost me a ton of money to buy two Note 2's though! (the wife gets pretty much everything I get, and sometimes more. :) )

ie, I wouldn't know if my phone would do what yours has been doing as I never enable wifi except for Chromecasting, which is a pain. I hope we see CC work using mobile data sometime soon.

philmair

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem. WiFi greyed and cannot switch it on. Restarting the phone solves it ... for a few hours.

It seems to happen each time I leave a WiFi location and it switches to network data .. it just "forgets" it's got a WiFi option.

yourphonemyphone

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem. WiFi greyed and cannot switch it on. Restarting the phone solves it ... for a few hours.

It seems to happen each time I leave a WiFi location and it switches to network data .. it just "forgets" it's got a WiFi option.

I also tried it on a CLNR Note 2 that Verizon sent me. I was able to replicate the exact same problem, so I returned it back to Verizon. The problem clearly was somewhere in the new Kit Kat OTA update.

tnicodemus

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I have exactly the same condition. After last update wi-fi will not turn on unless you turn on airplane mode and then turn it back off.. Also I have found with location set to High Accuracy any app that uses GPS (google maps, map my walk) will not work unless you turn off location and then turn it right back on.. thinking maybe the S3 has problems with update 4.4.2. It is sure getting to a pain in the bottom...Hope someone comes up with a fix!!!!

yourphonemyphone

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I have exactly the same condition. After last update wi-fi will not turn on unless you turn on airplane mode and then turn it back off.. Also I have found with location set to High Accuracy any app that uses GPS (google maps, map my walk) will not work unless you turn off location and then turn it right back on.. thinking maybe the S3 has problems with update 4.4.2. It is sure getting to a pain in the bottom...Hope someone comes up with a fix!!!!

Verizon will release an update to fix this problem. Hopefully it will be out by Groundhog Day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance