Using a verizon galaxy note 2 on AT&T

dmurph3440

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I was given a Galaxy Note 2 from a Verizon user and am trying to use it with my carrier, AT&T. I have been successful at calling, using wifi and general texting. The problem comes when I am sent a group text or try to send or receive a picture through text. The guy at the AT&T store tells me this is as good as it's going to get. True or not? Is there something I can do to fix this. They also told me I can ONLY get the web through wifi.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The phone doesn't use band 17, which is what AT&T uses for 4G data almost all over, so you're limited to 3G. And if AT&T doesn't use 3G any more where you are, you're limited to EDGE data (which makes dial-up seem fast). So for all practical purposes, he's right. (If you're okay with this page taking 10 minutes to load, you might be able to use mobile data.)

As far as group texting and pictures, group texts are sent as data, so are pictures. It might work with wifi, but it probably won't.

(Verizon and AT&T use totally different technologies, so their phones don't work very well on the other network. An AT&T phone - except some of the newer ones that work on anything - won't even make calls on Verizon.)

Duard

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Normal voicemail should be unaffected, but AT&T has an app (I forget its name) that downloads voicemail messages over the data network - it would be affected.

It sounds like the real cure for you would be finding a way to use MMS and SMS via wifi. I would suggest going to google.com/voice. Pick up Google Voice number. Load the Google Hangouts app including Hangouts dialer and tell Google to deliver SMS/MMS to Hangouts. Give your friends the new number and you will be able to do it all via wifi. Bonus: You will be able to make and receive cellphone calls and SMS messages on your desktop computer as well using the new Google Voice number. It's a spot of work to get it all set up and working correctly, after which it works like a champ. And its free.

Queenstarks

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I was given a Galaxy Note 2 from a Verizon user and am trying to use it with my carrier, AT&T. I have been successful at calling, using wifi and general texting. The problem comes when I am sent a group text or try to send or receive a picture through text. The guy at the AT&T store tells me this is as good as it's going to get. True or not? Is there something I can do to fix this. They also told me I can ONLY get the web through wifi.

You just need to update the APN settings. Google "Programming non-AT&T devices with the correct APN and MMS data settings". Couldn't post link because I'm new here

pamh1984

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Got most of it figured out, thanks queensstark. How the hell do I get rid of the unknown sim icon and the spotty mms? Thanks
NO ROOT OR ROM
Still a noob

Posted via the Android Central App

cganesh

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Pull down the list and locate unknown sim on the list. Press and you'll be in the settings where you can stop the program that is running. Unfortunately the Verizon set up wizard program starts running anytime you reboot the phone and finds the unknown sim card. this action will remove the unknown sim message and the symbol showing on your top bar. Unless you root your phone there is no way to delete the setup wizard program that I have found. If you totally turn off phone or reboot you have to do this exercise again. Also if your hotspot on your phone won't work because of same setup wizard program download FoxFi, test the hotspot as part of their free service and then pay them their nominal fee to fully unlock FoxFi. Hotspot now works great. If voice mail doesn't work try InstaVoice. Works great for me. Good luck.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance