Screen Protector

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have a preference for screen protectors? Easy to apply, obviously works well. Or have people found they don't need it with the Gorilla Glass.

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Depends on how OCD you are about small scratches or the possibility of scratches. Personally I use screen protectors on all my devices whether or not it has gorilla glass. Regardless of how scratch resistant gorilla glass is, I'd rather have the peace of mind of knowing I can just stick on another protector rather than constantly worrying about scratching the screen.

After having tried wet apply protector from Zagg, I now only use dry ones from Steinheil. Their ultra crystal is top notch and fairly easy to apply as long as you take your time. I will say for my touchpad, I bought some off ebay for $2 for a set of three and quite honestly, there isn't that much of a difference from those costing more. But for the S3, I plan on getting the ones from Steinheil.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: DianeR

iceman64

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Don't is a strong word. Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant but certainly not scratch proof. All it takes it one grain of sand in your pocket.

lol :D who walk around with 1 grain of sand in their pocket. But I understand what you mean :D
I never understood why people would put their expensive phone in their pocket, but a lot of people do this!!

hachiroku13954

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I work at a hardware store in a department that helps load heavy items into customers cars, including sand. I have had my phone in my pocket with sand pouring into it and didn't realize until the end of the day. Still not one scratch on my Dinc2. Though the buttons are getting stuck :/

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

mjs1124

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Steinheils are the best; just ask around and a lot of people here will agree. Their ultra crystal version is completely invisible, strong, and feels like the naked glass on the phone to your finger
100% agree on this, used them on my Thunderbolt and they were almost undetectable. People didn't believe I had on a screen protector. The first thing I looked for was the ultra crystal screen protector after I pre-ordered the S3.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
i'm not liking the steinheils too much, they're okay, but i just buy my screen protectors from DCMUGEN on ebay, worked GREAT on my Incredible! And they're like, a $1 or $2 a piece. Work really well, cut well, and a lot of people use dcmugen, check out the other forums. You can't beat that price as well.

RifterAD

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
It definitely depends what else you put in your pocket with your phone...but for the most part, you don't need one since the G-glass is very strong (although not completely 100% scratch proof like others have said).

FWIW, both my wife and I haven't had a scratch on mour unprotected screens in years...but I tend to use holsters half of the time which helps protect the screen when not being used.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Screen protectors are from the old days of smartphones. You don't need them anymore. But if you must, like the others here, I would recommend the Steinheil Ultra - almost like not even having one on.

I run naked, but that is just how I roll....

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I also have had good experience with the Steinheil SGP Ultra Crystal on my Droid X, I will probably get one for the SGSIII as well.

doogie1

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
When the GNex came out, everyone thought it had gorilla glass.. Found out the hard way. Fortunately, I got a free replacement. I'm curious though, how this gorilla glass 2 on the SGIII will hold up considering it's thinner than the original. I have the Ringbo ultimate clear+ protector on my Gnex and wife's Tbolt, and are clear as it can be. No bubbling, first time application, no residue when you take it off either. Needless to say I'll be getting it for the S3 as well.

Vikman

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
What's the difference between the sgp ultra crystal and flex hd? Besides the fact the ultra crystal doesnt fit the whole screen.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Central Forums

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Is there a reason to prefer one over the other?

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Central Forums

With phones that have curved glass, dry ones leave about 1/16th inch uncovered on all sides so they don't start lifting at the edges. Also, dry ones are a dust magnet during application so if you're not methodical, you can get dust trapped which causes bubbles.

Wet ones covers the whole glass and dust isn't as big of an issue. Also some of them supposedly have self healing properties. The big down side is wet ones tend to have orange peel, which for me was a deal breaker. Also, getting liquid all over the screen and potentially having it get into places where it shouldn't go is a risk.

I personally will not use wet apply ones. There just isn't a need to put up with the cons when the dry ones work so well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Vikman

applecarly

May 23, 2010
Visit site
100% agree on this, used them on my Thunderbolt and they were almost undetectable. People didn't believe I had on a screen protector. The first thing I looked for was the ultra crystal screen protector after I pre-ordered the S3.

I agree with the Steinheils as well. I have it on my Thunderbolt now and it's the best screen protector I've had. Ordered one for the S3 last week.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
...Also, dry ones are a dust magnet during application so if you're not methodical, you can get dust trapped which causes bubbles...

Glad you brought this up. One way around this is to go into the bathroom with the phone and turn on the shower without the fan so that the room steams up. Wait a few minutes and the steam will trap all the dust in the room. Then apply your screen protector while it's still steamy and you'll be dust free under the protector.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney