Droid X car dock conversion

Trackside138

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Looking for a car dock for your shiny new Galaxy S III? Have the Motorola one for your Droid X? Then use it!

Step 1: Remove the spacer piece.
step1dx.jpg

Step 2: Remove the screws from the back and tuck the microUSB connector into the base.
step2ll.jpg

Step 3: Add something to give the base a little more height on the left side so the volume rocker is not being pressed. I used a piece of a gift card.
step3j.jpg

Step 4: Place your GS3 into your nice secure car dock!
step4tk.jpg

Reading Android Central while driving is not recommended :D
It's a pretty tight fit so I don't think you'd be able to use it with a case.

kylyon

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Tried the mod and it works great.Thanks for the tip I was really missing my DroidX car mount .It works perfect with my Ringke Slim Lite Case so it should work with other slim cases. Now I just need to get some NFC tags and it should work just like my old DroidX.

Last edited:

tomster2300

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Update: I got it to work - I just had to use my screwdriver to pry the plastic apart and break some of the seals. Once I did that it came apart and went back together like a charm! Thanks!

Hey, can you post some step by steps pictures on how you took the dock apart? I know it may sound basic, but I've taken all of the screws out and am having trouble figuring out how it slides apart.

Thanks!

Last edited:

kylyon

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
It took me a while to figure out how to get it apart to. There are clips holding it together I just took a small screwdriver and pried the bottom apart just enough to get to the usb connector that slides in the DroidX.

tomster2300

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
It took me a while to figure out how to get it apart to. There are clips holding it together I just took a small screwdriver and pried the bottom apart just enough to get to the usb connector that slides in the DroidX.

You can pop it completely apart and it won't hurt anything. I took the risk and found that it goes right back together just as snugly.

drew7777

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Tried the mod and it works great.Thanks for the tip I was really missing my DroidX car mount .It works perfect with my Ringke Slim Lite Case so it should work with other slim cases. Now I just need to get some NFC tags and it should work just like my old DroidX.

Any chance you can post a pic? I have the same case and car mount. It doesn't want to squeeze in... just a bit too wide and maybe a little too tall too.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Just did this today before finding this thread. ;)

I took the usb cable out completely though, never thought of just tucking it in the base, doh, I'm gonna put it back so I won't lose it.

FYI, it's a tight fit, but my GS3 with a TPU case fits in the dock. The other benefit of the TPU case is, there is no need for the extra spacer to prevent the volume rocker from being pressed. :)

Last edited: