Apple Headphones, don't work on S3 to make calls....

sardar615

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else seeing this??? I have a bunch of OEM and Non OEM Apple headphones with Mic and I cannot seem to get them working on my S3 :'(. Thought it was my phone, so I went and tried it on my wife's phone, and same thing. Tried my brothers, and sister in laws, and all the same. I am not sure how the phone would even know that I am connecting an Apple headphones vs any other headphones but I cannot get anyone to hear me when I use them or use the S Voice or talk and text feature....Not sure why that would be, but this is second negative that I have found with this phone.....Is anyone else seeing this or are all the headphones that I have defective???? Would love to hear what other people think or if they are having this issue, thanks.

Sardar615-

P.S. - First being battery life :(, but to me it is not a big deal since I am in the office, or car most of the day, I can charge it anytime :D.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
the band on for the mic is intentionally offset to only work with the iphone

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Nquateman

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know of a headset with mic, also with controls for the audio (e.g., stop, start, and volume), that will work on an android (an S3, in particular)? Everything I've seen so far will allow control an iPhone but won't control an android. As an example, I bought a Sennheiser set. The headphones and the mic are functional, but not the control buttons. I knew this when I bought it because of the user reviews that mentioned it, but I haven't been able to locate a set for android.

NeilQ from Asus Transformer with Tapatalk 2

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Mine came with a headset with controls... Haven't used it much because my Shure in-ears are better, but it's still a headset with controls.

thelastred

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know of a headset with mic, also with controls for the audio (e.g., stop, start, and volume), that will work on an android (an S3, in particular)? Everything I've seen so far will allow control an iPhone but won't control an android. As an example, I bought a Sennheiser set. The headphones and the mic are functional, but not the control buttons. I knew this when I bought it because of the user reviews that mentioned it, but I haven't been able to locate a set for android.

NeilQ from Asus Transformer with Tapatalk 2

Yes
List of headset and headphones that work all three buttons & mic
- urbeats (not ibeats)
- htc beats solo (pm for just the cable)
- Sony smart headset
- Nocs NS200H-001 (they also have a free app)
Nokia purity (in ear and hd version)

For galaxy s2& 3 the buttons at the end work for volumes and middle is pause/ play (also for Sony android,Nokia lumia and htc windows phone)

For htc android phones the ends buttons are skip track buttons and middle pause/play

Last edited:
Reactions: Nquateman

Nquateman

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I did, and they work. What I neglected to mention was that I'm trying to find some that have loops for the ear pieces because the buds fall out.

NeilQ using Tapatalk

Galaxy1

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Disaster. Also you need to be Mozart in order to use the headphones that came with the phone. The last message I got, the bluetooth had to be turned on inorder to use the headset...currently I can hear but not talk. No idea why. ....disaster. PS the Sony s are a pile of junk. They have an adapter that makes them so smart. =extra junk.

---------- Post Merged at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:11 AM ----------

Bluetooth doesnt recognise the headphones...

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
The play/skip/pause controls work for the skullcandy aviators but sadly not the mic or vol buttons :/

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

thelastred

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
The play/skip/pause controls work for the skullcandy aviators but sadly not the mic or vol buttons :/

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Anything said made for iPhone on it would give that result. If you want a three button headset for android and windows phone 8 look at list above

Zac13

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I bought this phone for two main reasons, to make and receive phone calls, and to listen to music. I do not like the Samsung ear buds they do not fit my ears properly and they fall out while riding my motorcycle.
The reason there are so many brands and styles of ear buds is just that. People find that different ear buds fit better or have a different sound to them that they enjoy. Which is why I (and many other people on the forums) assumed that they would be able to buy and use a pair of ear buds from another major manufacturer and have them work with this phone. Apparently this is not the case.
The Samsung brand ones work properly on my phone but the Skull Candy ones will only play music and skip tracks. They will not adjust volume or receive phone calls, why is this??
Both pairs of ear buds have the typical 4 pin connector. Just about everyone else's products support them, I never had an issue on my iphone, htc touch, ipod, zune, diskman, or cheap mp3 player or other phone I have owned.
The only reason I can see for Samsung doing this is greed (or sheer stupidity). Make other ear buds incompatible with the $amsung product so that you will have to buy the $amsung brand ear buds. I really hope that this is something that can be fixed with a software update, if not then Samsung has lost me as a customer.
I also used the Live chat support feature to contact Samsung and found them totally useless, both times they directed me to call the Samsung phone support. Phone support wasn't any better, just told me that they don't support 3rd party products... but wait a sec... isn't the sd card a 3rd party product? The phone was built to work with those...

I strongly urge anyone with a problem to contact Samsung, and if there is a way to fix this with an update, then hopefully they will. If not then perhaps they will fix it for the next gen phone.

Just got off the phone with Skull Candy and Samsung support, Samsung was useless but Skull Candy said there is an issue with the Skull Candy headsets not working on Samsung S3 phones. This is an issue with Samsung, they changed something within the mic configuration and now a lot of brands of inline mic earphones don't work properly. It is not a wiring issue it's a software issue and Samsung is working on an app to allow these other earphones to have full functionality. Please contact Samsung about this problem, the more complaints they get the faster we will get a fix! Here is the link to contact Samsung...
Contact us - Samsung

Last edited:

TypoCorrecto

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Try the app Headset Button Controller, some folks have had success using this app with 'made for iphone' earbuds...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII

RchUncleSkeleton

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
the band on for the mic is intentionally offset to only work with the iphone

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
This is not entirely true. My apple headset works perfectly fine with my HTC Inspire 4G but it only functions as headphones on my Galaxy S3 and when making a call it just disconnects the headphones entirely and even after ending a call they do not reconnect but instead have to be unplugged and plugged back in to be recognized. Complete horse-**** on Samsungs part.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer