Root for Verizon GSIII

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
rooted but did not install cwm with the method above, root went fine and was able to remove the ongoing wifi notice.
Then today I was in rom manager just poking around and saw the verizon gsIII was listed as a device to load cwm on so I did and it went fine, I then booted into recovery and performed a backup that also went fine. No counter was tripped not that I care

Reactions: sicario666

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
The file that needs to be flashed in Odin. Should it be a tar.md5? Or just a .tar? It's been a while since I've used Odin. I'm following all instructions but my comp just reboots after a while. Can some1 throw a dog a bone?

S3nt from Galaxy S3

tayswg20

May 10, 2011
Visit site
The file that needs to be flashed in Odin. Should it be a tar.md5? Or just a .tar? It's been a while since I've used Odin. I'm following all instructions but my comp just reboots after a while. Can some1 throw a dog a bone?

S3nt from Galaxy S3

I'm not totally positive which step your on but i think you want just a .tar file........one thing that helped me was i used this guide Easy Guide to Root Verizon Galaxy S3 ....its the same as the one on xda except, for me it was a little less confusing to follow (not that the one on xda was confusing, I just have the attention span of a 2y/o) . Just make sure you have a blank system image.tar and a rooted system image.tar and you should be fine. I'm not an expert at this, just giving my own experience. So maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in and help as well.

Good luck

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm not totally positive which step your on but i think you want just a .tar file........one thing that helped me was i used this guide Easy Guide to Root Verizon Galaxy S3 ....its the same as the one on xda except, for me it was a little less confusing to follow (not that the one on xda was confusing, I just have the attention span of a 2y/o) . Just make sure you have a blank system image.tar and a rooted system image.tar and you should be fine. I'm not an expert at this, just giving my own experience. So maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in and help as well.

Good luck

I'm gonna try it again. I downloaded the file again and I'll unzip it once more. Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it

S3nt from Galaxy S3

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Here's what I downloaded and what the file name is. Ok...so I unzip this file and use what file in the pda area?

Screenshot_2012-07-14-18-59-47.png

S3nt from Galaxy S3

tayswg20

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Here's what I downloaded and what the file name is. Ok...so I unzip this file and use what file in the pda area?

Click to view quoted image

S3nt from Galaxy S3

I'm assuming you have the files downloaded to your computer right? If you do then put your phone into download mode. connect the phone and make sure ODIN recognizes the phone. Then put the blank.system.image.tar in the PDA ..... then after that flashes you want to do the same with the rooted .tar image ...... what exactly is it doing when you try to flash the .tar files?

Edit: I think the issue is that its showing up as a .tarmd5 on your phone but when you download the file in windows it'll show up properly as a .tar file.....you dont need the files on your phone, just on your computer and you use ODIN to flash the files TO your phone

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm assuming you have the files downloaded to your computer right? If you do then put your phone into download mode. connect the phone and make sure ODIN recognizes the phone. Then put the blank.system.image.tar in the PDA ..... then after that flashes you want to do the same with the rooted .tar image ...... what exactly is it doing when you try to flash the .tar files?

Edit: I think the issue is that its showing up as a .tarmd5 on your phone but when you download the file in windows it'll show up properly as a .tar file.....you dont need the files on your phone, just on your computer and you use ODIN to flash the files TO your phone

ok let me check again. i just downloaded the file onto my phone cuz it was taking way too long on my laptop earlier. im not sure why... be back in a few. thanks for the help. i dont really HAVE to root but i want to get rid of the bloat and flash my own fonts. :D

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
the file simply isnt extracting as a .tar file. its extracting as a .tar.md5

i just found out from another android abuser (NotJustaPhone) that he had the same problem with the stripped version. the file extensions werent extracting correctly. which is the problem im running into. gonna try the full version and attempt to freeze vzw bloat after

Last edited:

tayswg20

May 10, 2011
Visit site
the files are showing up as tar.md5 files on my laptop. why? Im on windows7 if that helps

[URL=http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx312/inkdaddy66/tarfiles.png]Click to view quoted image
[/URL]

Hmmm thats weird. I'm also on windows 7 and mine show up just as a simple .tar file. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge has to help me out here lol. I don't wanna say its ok to flash even if it shows up as a md5, I'm not sure if that would ruin anything or if it doesn't matter either way. Have you tried to flash them already? Is that when your computer rebooted?

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm thats weird. I'm also on windows 7 and mine show up just as a simple .tar file. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge has to help me out here lol. I don't wanna say its ok to flash even if it shows up as a md5, I'm not sure if that would ruin anything or if it doesn't matter either way. Have you tried to flash them already? Is that when your computer rebooted?

yeah. correct. thats when it locked up and rebooted...

tayswg20

May 10, 2011
Visit site
looks like its gonna be another hour for me to attempt this again. the full stock rooted img file is 1.5gigs :-X:eek:

Ugh I'm sorry. I'm not sure if this matters but when I downloaded mine I didn't have to extract the .img files, when i downloaded them they downloaded as .tar files. Maybe try to find a different source to download them from??? Unfortunately I think they are all linked to the same source.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Ugh I'm sorry. I'm not sure if this matters but when I downloaded mine I didn't have to extract the .img files, when i downloaded them they downloaded as .tar files. Maybe try to find a different source to download them from??? Unfortunately I think they are all linked to the same source.

yeah it looks like this file is a .tar file. just a straight shot once ive got it! they are more than likely all linked to the same source. i'll stick with this one. i've already got .2 of 1.5 gigs down! LOL!:':)D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12