08-22-2012 06:37 PM
51 123
tools

Verizon and Samsung doing stuff the right way here. Bravo!
    AZDROIDX likes this.
    07-10-2012 07:02 PM
    Welp, time to sell the VZW GS3 I just bought.
    07-10-2012 07:06 PM
    wouldve been nice to know before preordering a month ago...
    nate44 likes this.
    07-10-2012 07:09 PM
    What??????????????????

07-10-2012 07:10 PM
    will it get updates faster than the official Verizon version?
    07-10-2012 07:16 PM
    I got Motorolaed today...
    cae2685 and phonejunky like this.
    07-10-2012 07:27 PM
    Does the existence of this help the cause for these VZW phones?
    07-10-2012 07:31 PM
    Does the existence of this help the cause for these VZW phones?
    It very well could. Someone will find a way to port this over.
    07-10-2012 08:14 PM
    It very well could. Someone will find a way to port this over.
    Tis maks me curious. If it's possible for this kind of thing to be ported over I can just wait. I'm not in a huge rush and selling on flea bay doesn't sound fun to me. Do you guys really thing this really really has potential to help locked devices?
    duanedude1 likes this.
    07-10-2012 08:41 PM
    wouldve been nice to know before preordering a month ago...
    Exactly. I don't care if Verizon forced Samsung to keep this a secret. It's wrong and they're both equally responsible.
    davidnc likes this.
    07-10-2012 08:42 PM
    WTF!
    Ben3150 likes this.
    07-10-2012 08:45 PM
    I'm with everyone else on this. That should have been announced as an option on day one. hopefully this will help the development community and my new phone I have already activated will be unlockable soon.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    07-10-2012 09:41 PM
    Hopefully developers continue to work on the locked version and figure out how to crack the encryption. I have a feeling most of the developer community and modders will jump to unlocked versions and some people might be left behind with essentially an inferior product.

But the dev community has been great so far.
    07-10-2012 10:04 PM
    Wow, just wow!

Tempers my joy (just a little bit) at my just-arrived SGIII, but I am in no position to return it and get the unlocked version. Hope XDA still works on these phones and finds a way to port the new to the old. I might have to get used to TouchWiz. I was hesitant to ROM on this anyway, hope the root access is still possible for using some programs. I blame Vzn more than Sammy, V probably only allowed this "solution" if Sam would hush up 'til now. At least Sammy is trying to make amends to the community.

My Galaxy SIII is still a beautiful, powerful phone. I will not allow this news to spoil it for me.
    07-11-2012 12:26 AM
    I like this solution the best.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    07-11-2012 12:44 AM
    Just down right dirty pool... glad I waited.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums
    07-11-2012 01:06 AM
    I wouldn't call this doing stuff the right way, all the other carriers already have unlocked bootloaders for subsidized prices but if we want the same thing on Verizon we have to pay twice as much? it doesn't make sense to pay full retail for a Verizon phone that can't be used on any other network.

Why wasn't this announced back in June when they said they would be carrying the phone and that their standard GS3 would have a locked bootloader? no lets wait til the phones start shipping and people get them in their hands.

Now it's Oh you want a unlocked phone? double the price, since the phone isn't going to have a warranty anyways why not allow anyone who wants their phone unlocked to unlock it online like Sony and HTC does.

Now if it was 50 bucks more than the highest priced subsidized phone on Verizon that would be more reasonable.
    07-11-2012 01:37 AM
    This doesnt benefit me but then again I am not a developer, just an enthusiast. I wont be selling my SGS3 on the open market in hopes of making enough to buy one of these. Cant afford it, no more toys for me this year hah.

That being said I hope this model gives some smart person out there the insight that might help break us free of the locked bootloader.

Either way I beleive development for this phone will go on, locked boot loader or not.
    07-11-2012 12:08 PM
    Although in this particular moment this is of no help to me, I could see this developer phones being offering being helpful in the future since I'll be paying full price for phones to keep my unlimited data. Might as well get a phone that's unlocked while I'm at it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    07-11-2012 12:17 PM
    Although in this particular moment this is of no help to me, I could see this developer phones being offering being helpful in the future since I'll be paying full price for phones to keep my unlimited data. Might as well get a phone that's unlocked while I'm at it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    +1 I'm praying that they release it when Verizon starts selling them in stores.
    07-11-2012 08:23 PM
    There is now no reason to pay Verizon full price when you can get a better version from Samsung. But knowing Verizon, they will do their best to hide this fact from customers.
    07-11-2012 08:27 PM
    There is now no reason to pay Verizon full price when you can get a better version from Samsung. But knowing Verizon, they will do their best to hide this fact from customers.
    IMHO, I do not think that the average Verizon customer will care if there is an unlocked phone available. Especially for the price difference. The average customer (regardless of carrier) wants a phone the looks good, performs good, and probably now more than ever takes good pictures and video. Just my $.02.
    07-11-2012 11:15 PM
    Did they make rome for the verizon GS3 yet?
    07-12-2012 07:19 AM
    I'm wondering how development for the unlocked version and the lock version will be different, if at all?
    07-12-2012 11:42 AM
    The question is... when will it be for sale?
    Air Force One likes this.
    07-12-2012 01:04 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD