[Guide] Root/Unroot/Recovery/Unlock Bootloader for the Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-i535)

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
UPDATED November 8th 2012

***** DISCLAIMER *****

I am in no way responsible for what you do to your device.. Use at your own risk! I in no way take credit for this guide... all credit goes to INVISIBLEK & DroidStyle... I'm just passing along the info!

gs3hacked.jpg

[NOTE]- There are a few methods of Rooting the Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-i353). Choose one :cool:

• Method 1: How to Install Adam Outler's Casual for Rooting/Unlocking Bootloader/CWM Recovery (Mac/Linux)
  • Method 2: How to Root/Unlock Bootloader/Flash Custom Recovery (Windows)
  • Method 3: How to Root/Recovery/Bootloader Unlock using ODIN/Heimdall (Windows) & Return to Stock
[/NOTE]

Select one of the following methods

Method 1: How to Install Adam Outler's Casual for Rooting/Unlocking Bootloader/CWM Recovery (Mac/Linux)

Step 1: Download and install these files on your pc:

Samsung driver- http://tinyw.in/Fdoz
Adam Outler's Casual- Dev-Host - Verizon-GS3-CASUAL-Revision131a.jar - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service
Java JDK- http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...s-1591156.html

Step 2: On your device, Make sure USB Debugging(settings/developer options/usb debugging) and Install of Unknown Sources(settings/security/unknown source) is checked.(Also, make sure there are no other android devices, emulators, or any tethering programs running!!).

Step 3: Double click on the Casual file you downloaded in step1, you should here a voice say "casual", then the program should open.

Step 4: While fully booted up into android, Plug your device into the pc using the oem usb cable. Casual should come up in green letters saying "device connected".

Step 5: Congrats, you are now ready to flash away.

Step 6: If you are not currently rooted, then flash DebugFSroot first, DO IT!

Step 7: Next flash unsecure aboot to unlock bootloader, DO IT!

Step 8: Finally flash ClockWork Mod Recovery(it should be version cwm 6.0.1), DO IT!

Step 9: If you want to flash a Custom ROM: [GUIDE] VZW Galaxy S3 Flashing Guide

*If you insist on using windows, try running Casual thru WUBI
Method 1

Method 2: How to Root/Unlock Bootloader/Flash Custom Recovery (Windows)

* This works with all Current stock builds...VRALF2, VRALG1, VRALG7, VRALHD and VRALHE... However it does not work for VRBLI5 JellyBean.

Step 1: Download these files to pc:

Samsung Driver-
http://tinyw.in/Fdozhttp://tinyw.in/Fdoz
RootDebugFS- Goo.im Downloads - Downloading Root Debug FS.7z
OR
SuperSU RootDebugFS- http://beta.androidfilehost.com/?fid...77933525140108

Step 2: Install samsung driver and unzip the root tool(use a program such as 7zip) to a folder of choice.

Step 3: Connect device with oem usb cable to pc.

Step 4: On your device, Make sure USB Debugging(settings/developer options/usb debugging) and Install of Unknown Sources(settings/security/unknown source) is checked.(Also, make sure there are no other android devices, emulators, or any tethering programs running!!).

Step 5: Open the Root Tool folder you downloaded in step 1 and Double click "RootDebugFS", press 1, then hit enter.

Step 6: Agree to the 4 disclaimers by pressing any key after each one pops up.

Step 7: Once the root process starts DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR DEVICE until it completes.

*Congrats you should now be rooted! Continue following instructions for unlocking bootloader and flashing a custom recovery*

Step 8: Download the EZ-Unlock app to your device from HERE. (Only use version 1.2 for now as the latest version has issues!)

Step 9: Open app and select unlock, Now your unlocked...yup its that easy!

Step 10: Download the EZ-recovery app to your device from HERE.

Step 11: Open app and select recovery. Next tap pulldown menu, select CWM 6.0.1, then select flash.

Step 12: If you want to flash a Custom ROM: [GUIDE] VZW Galaxy S3 Flashing Guide
Method 2

Method 3: How to Root/Recovery/Bootloader Unlock using ODIN/Heimdall (Windows) & Return to Stock

Important information:

- If you get to a point where you don't want to go any further, or things don't work, you can always flash the stock ROM (extract the .tar.md5 from the zip) using Odin in your bootloader. Get that here: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1755386

IMPORTANT
I noticed this boot chain would not allow me to flash the stock kernel from the VRALG1 stock rom via odin. I had to upgrade my boot chain back to the stock one.
Running this boot chain may cause issues later so I do recommend flashing back to the stock one once you have your custom recovery . (details below)

INTRO
I want to give a quick intro into what we are going to do here. Hopefully it will help out with questions that people have while attempting this process. As we all know, Verizon thought it to be a good idea to have Samsung lock the bootloader on this device. (see my message for Verizon at the top of this post)
What the locked bootloader prevents us from doing is flashing, via odin, a custom recovery or kernel. What we can do however, is revert to an older (semi-insecure) bootchain which we have acquired, flash our custom recovery, and then continue on from our freshly flashed custom recovery by flashing an unlocked bootloader and anything else we want.
Kernels from the newer OTA's prevent us from doing this process. We'll need to flash a kernel too. See below...

Downloads
1. Root.zip: Download - Mirror
2. Samsung SGS3 Drivers: http://downloadcente...er_v1_4_6_0.exe
3. Odin 3.0.7: http://samsung-updates.com/Odin307.zip
4. VRALEC bootchain: Download - Mirror
5. VRALF2 kernel: Download - Mirror
6. Recovery (choose one): TWRP 2.2.2.1 (unofficial): Download - Mirroror CWM 6 Touch: Download -Mirror
7. VRALF2 bootchain: Download - Mirror
8. VRALE6 bootloader: Download - Mirror

ROOT AND RECOVERY
1. Copy Root.zip and VRALE6.bootloader.zip to your sdcard, for use later. (downloads 1 and 8)

2. Install the Samsung drivers (download 2)

3. Boot into Odin mode on your device. (Power off the device, hold Vol- Home and Power until you get the warning message, then press Vol+)

4. Flash VRALEC.bootchain.tar.md5 (download 4) via odin (download 3) in the
PDA slot. Your phone will reboot.

5. Flash VRALF2 kernel (download 5) via odin (same as previous step, just use the file from download 5)

6. Boot back into Odin mode and flash a custom recovery (download 6) (also in the
PDA slot) such as cwm touch or twrp:

7. Flash back to the VRALF2 bootchain (download 7) via odin (same as step 4)

8. Boot into your new recovery mode
by turning off your device and holding Vol+, Home and Power

9. Flash root.zip and VRALE6.bootloader.zip from step 1 in recovery mode

10. Profit!

This does increment your flash counter. But there is a remedy! See here: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1494114

BACK TO STOCK
Reset flash counter first using Triangle Away: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1494114
Flash the stock bootchain VRALF2 via PDA in Odin: Download - Mirror
Flash the stock rom VRALF2 via PDA in Odin: Unzip first!
Method 3

Unroot: How to Reset the Flash Counter, Unroot and Return to Stock.

Here?s a video tutorial showing you how to unroot your Verizon Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 completely back to factory using Odin or without a computer and straight from your device using the app Mobile ODIN.

Before you unroot, you can also use Triangle Away app to reset binary count.
Using Triangle Away to Reset Binary Account:

This will get you completely back to day one when you got your new Verizon Galaxy S3, no traces of rooting whatsoever.

Also, if you do a ?factory reset? (at end of video), IT WILL COMPLETELY ERASE EVERYTHING ON YOUR INTERNAL STORAGE so make a backup of your photos and videos before following this unroot method!!!

Using Mobile ODIN to Unroot... No computer required (easiest method/requires payment for app):
[video=youtube;vVVHRyDb4IQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vVVHRyDb4IQ[/video]
Download Verizon Galaxy S3 Stock ROM
Download USB Drivers (if needed)

Using ODIN to Unroot... Computer required (PC):

Download Verizon Galaxy S3 Stock ROM

Download USB Drivers (if needed)

Unroot/Return to stock
*Credit goes to Adam Outler, Noxious Ninja, H3llsdr0id, mmmeff, and all others involved!!!Credits
Select one of the following methods

anda.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Guide] Root & Recovery for the Verizon Galaxy S III (SCH-i53

Thanks man! You always make things clean and clear.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

**** Guide Updated to include the New Rooted System.img built using the original stock Verizon SCH-I535 image by mrRobinson from xda....

....the previous Rooted System.img that Invisiblek originally used was being reported by members for having "Sprint related elements" as well as various keyboard issues and things not working as they should. ****

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

"If you get to a point where you don't want to go any further, or things don't work, you can always flash the stock rom (extract the .tar.md5 from the zip) using Odin in your bootloader. Get that here"

Could you check that link please? All I get is a 404 error when I click that.
I couldn't tell if the link is pointing to the stock ROM or some special version of Odin that runs on the phone.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

"If you get to a point where you don't want to go any further, or things don't work, you can always flash the stock rom (extract the .tar.md5 from the zip) using Odin in your bootloader. Get that here"

Could you check that link please? All I get is a 404 error when I click that.
I couldn't tell if the link is pointing to the stock ROM or some special version of Odin that runs on the phone.
404 link error for Stock ROM fixed.... thank you.

paxinlul

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site

I downloaded the torrent because the direct download wouldn't work and the file had no .tar or .md5 ending. There was an error in Odin recognizing the file. Is there another way to get the file?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Guide] Root & Recovery for the Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-i53

I downloaded the torrent because the direct download wouldn't work and the file had no .tar or .md5 ending. There was an error in Odin recognizing the file. Is there another way to get the file?

That's the only link available at the moment... straight from xda. Make sure you're on the right page for the download and not on one of the advertisement downloads hosted by MegaShare.

Your screen should look like this:
attachment.php

Here's the direct link from MegaShare: http://www.MegaShare.com/dnd/4384479/0856c82df54c80a95d16667affc8ddbd/stock.vzw_root66.7z

Also.. the file 7z is an archive (compressed) file, like .ZIP or .RAR; with similar and in many cases better compression... you will need to extract it first with this program: 7-Zip

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-25 at 1.33.59 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-07-25 at 1.33.59 PM.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 19,355
Reactions: scsapril69

yz_aker

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

I'm having trouble and it always fails at the same point. See screenshot.
Here are the steps followed:
- downloaded stock.vzw_root66.7z (confirmed md5 checksum)
- extracted stock.vzw_root66.tar
- put phone in download mode
- connect to pc
- launch odin3 ("auto reboot" and "f.reset time" are both checked)
- PDA button checked and file "stock.vzw_root66.tar" loaded
- hit start

The process gets to "recovery.img" and then fails every time. I've tried pulling the battery several times and it still fails. Suggestions?

UPDATE: used this process http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/2...ased-for-verizons-galaxy-s3-no-odin-required/ to successfully get root.

Attachments

• odin_fail.jpg
    odin_fail.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

I'm having trouble and it always fails at the same point. See screenshot.
Here are the steps followed:
- downloaded stock.vzw_root66.7z (confirmed md5 checksum)
- extracted stock.vzw_root66.tar
- put phone in download mode
- connect to pc
- launch odin3 ("auto reboot" and "f.reset time" are both checked)
- PDA button checked and file "stock.vzw_root66.tar" loaded
- hit start

The process gets to "recovery.img" and then fails every time. I've tried pulling the battery several times and it still fails. Suggestions?

UPDATE: used this process http://www.droidlife.com/2012/07/25...ased-for-verizons-galaxy-s3-no-odin-required/ to successfully get root.
Eh... I'd stick to using ODIN.. you're going to need it if you ever want to return to stock plus it looks a lot easier then that method you just posted... It's nice to see that there's other options available though and glad you got your phone rooted.

Last edited:

soccerdude588

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure if this is stuck, or if I have done something incorrectly.
I'm using Odin 3.07 with the stock.vzw_root66.7z

I had unzipped the stock.vzw_root66.7z file and when selecting PDA & the file i selected this one.

Odin's steps shown so far are:
<ID:0/005> Added!!
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> boot.img
<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/005> recovery.img
<ID:0/005> system.img.ext4

Currently, Odin appears to have stopped there and has been on this step for about 10 minutes with no progress made.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

It takes time.. give it at least 15 minutes... It looks like it's almost done.. whatever you do, don't unplug your phone until ODIN is finished/or has stopped.. Your phone will auto reboot when done.

soccerdude588

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site

It hasn't made any progress in the past 18 minutes. It is still at the same place (about a millimeter of progress) on a ~23 inch screen.. It hasn't changed at all.

---Nevermind, all good. I realized the problem was the USB drive I was using. For anyone having any problems with it just getting stuck early in with the loading bar, make sure you use one of your primary USB drives (probably anything on a laptop, or in the back of your desktop)---

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyber Warrior

jwrosen

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

hey folks! I'm new to this whole rooting thing and I'm wondering if this will be too difficult for me to do, it sounds pretty easy from what I've read here but I'm a bit nervous as I just bought this GSIII and don't really want to mess things up. I consider myself good with computers in general but I've never done something like this. Do I run a risk of ruining my phone if I mess this up?

Also, will rooting my phone allow me to use google wallet which VZW in their infinite wisdom deems too dangerous to allow? Any tips or suggestons are appreciated...

Thanks
JayR

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

hey folks! I'm new to this whole rooting thing and I'm wondering if this will be too difficult for me to do, it sounds pretty easy from what I've read here but I'm a bit nervous as I just bought this GSIII and don't really want to mess things up. I consider myself good with computers in general but I've never done something like this. Do I run a risk of ruining my phone if I mess this up?

Also, will rooting my phone allow me to use google wallet which VZW in their infinite wisdom deems too dangerous to allow? Any tips or suggestons are appreciated...

Thanks
JayR

Samsung devices are usually one of the easiest and most user friendly devices to root expecially with Odin. Just be sure to place the file under PDA whenever flashing through Odin. DO NOT USE PHONE. Also make sure you have a solid connection out of the way of any kids or animals. IMO, it's a good idea to get familiar with Odin as you're likely going to need it to get back to stock but there's also a simple root program that someone at XDA made and doesn't require Odin. http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-s-iii-rooting-roms-hacks/194152-simple-root-program-no-odin-required.html

As for Google Wallet, yes rooting will allow the use it. I have it installed on the stock rooted rom and it works perfectly. Instructions are here.

jwrosen

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

@ Pjnc284

Thank you for your prompt reply! I really appreciate the help.. So do you think I should go with the simple root program or just do this the Odin route? Why would I want to go back to stock once I've rooted my phone? I was very disapointed with VZW for not allowing Google Wallet and effectively disabling the BEST part of the phone so I'm thrilled that this will get around that.

Again thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar