[Guide] Root/Unroot/Recovery/Unlock Bootloader for the Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-i535)

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Guide] Root & Recovery for the Verizon Galaxy S III (SCH-i53

I have just updated the OP with a new link. If you can, please create mirrors and I will post the links in the OP as well. There is too much traffic at one link and they get taken down very often.
Thanks

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Guide] Root & Recovery for the Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-i53

Thanks for this, my 1st time rooting anything and it worked perfect took less than 10 minutes for Odin to finish. I also downloaded Rom Manager and installed CWM Recovery that way. It then asked if I wanted to purchase the Touch version and I said no. I searched on the web for it and see it is available for free for download but only for GSM not our model. Do I need the Touch one? Thanks.

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

One thing, I seem to have this little circle follwing my finger allover the screen..what is that and how do I get rid of that? Thanks.

EDIT - fixed it - I had to go to "show touches" and uncheck. No idea why that got checked after root.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for this, my 1st time rooting anything and it worked perfect took less than 10 minutes for Odin to finish. I also downloaded Rom Manager and installed CWM Recovery that way. It then asked if I wanted to purchase the Touch version and I said no. I searched on the web for it and see it is available for free for download but only for GSM not our model. Do I need the Touch one? Thanks.

You don't need the Touch version.. its a personal preference. Instead of using the volume and power button to scroll/select in CWM Recovery... you can use the touch screen for making selections.

When ROM Manager first became supported by the GS3.. the Touch version worked except for the exception of making Nandroid Backups. I believe that has been fixed though through?recent updates.
Here's some info on nandroids and using ROM Manager.. its the same principal for all devices: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...backup-restore-install-roms-galaxy-nexus.html

Here's what the Touch version looks like:
Touch CWM Recovery review - YouTube

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

The latest cwm for any device can be downloaded here . Direct Link for Verizon Galaxy SIII. You need the paid version to be able to flash CWM touch via rom manager but you can still download it from the link above and manually flash it using adb or terminal.

flyt100

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

Anybody willing to help?

Had ODIN say fail about 10 min in twice. Now stuck at firmware update start.. boot.img.

Update:

Ended up finally pulling the plug. Moved to my laptop instead of my desktop, and was able to get it to work. I'm still sweating though :)

Last edited:

Paladin2016

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Guide] Root & Recovery for the Verizon Galaxy S III (SCH-i535)

Thanks Cyber for posting... rooting was 8 mins long. While my wife gets annoyed with me hacking the phones she enjoyed the 8 minutes of snuggling on the couch! Time to check out CM10...

pwoznic

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

I'm going to try this after dinner today. I'm glad that rooting does not wipe anything and just adds the superuser app since I plan on trying out titanium and freezing bloat like I did on my tbolt.

I'm curious though.. I've heard about people getting some kind of OTA. I have not seen anything on my S3 about OTA. Is there a way to check if it was stealth installed, such as some kind of text in the UI?

Edit: Ok did it before dinner and it was like 8-10 minutes. :D

Last edited:

dave421

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site

Ok, so I used this a few weeks ago and everything has been running great but I can't figure out HOW to remove CWM. Searching google just gets me a ton of stuff on how to install it. If I use the stock image, will it erase it correctly? I forgot about it yesterday and tried to do the update which ended up failing and sending me to cwm recovery. I want to do the update and see if it improves my wifi or 4g performance before rooting again.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Ok, so I used this a few weeks ago and everything has been running great but I can't figure out HOW to remove CWM. Searching google just gets me a ton of stuff on how to install it. If I use the stock image, will it erase it correctly? I forgot about it yesterday and tried to do the update which ended up failing and sending me to cwm recovery. I want to do the update and see if it improves my wifi or 4g performance before rooting again.
I just added instructions to the 3rd post of this thread.

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

I wonder if someone could help me. I am on a custom rom, kernel, theme and I wanted to restore the backup I made right after I rooted and unlocked the phone and right before I flashed my 1st rom. For whatever reason that backup file is not working, there is an error while restoring so I can't restore my backup before my rom. Could I just go back into Odin and run the Rooted Verizon Stock Image aka Root66 again? Will that bring me back to stock, rooted, unlocked and then I can make a backup from that starting point and then start flashing roms again?

Thanks.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

I wonder if someone could help me. I am on a custom rom, kernel, theme and I wanted to restore the backup I made right after I rooted and unlocked the phone and right before I flashed my 1st rom. For whatever reason that backup file is not working, there is an error while restoring so I can't restore my backup before my rom. Could I just go back into Odin and run the Rooted Verizon Stock Image aka Root66 again? Will that bring me back to stock, rooted, unlocked and then I can make a backup from that starting point and then start flashing roms again?

Thanks.
By any chance did you rename that backup file you made of the ROM? I've heard of cases where renaming the file and using spaces will cause errors when trying to restore it. So make sure you don't have any spaces in the file name if you did. Example: rom backup123 should be changed to rom_backup123.

And yes you can run root66 again to get back to stock.

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

By any chance did you rename that backup file you made of the ROM? I've heard of cases where renaming the file and using spaces will cause errors when trying to restore it. So make sure you don't have any spaces in the file name if you did. Example: rom backup123 should be changed to rom_backup123.

And yes you can run root66 again to get back to stock.

I think I did rename it but it looks like this:

2012-09-01-10.09.59

Which looks like all my other recent backups that restore with no problems. So not sure what happened.

So if I do Odin click PDA and run root66 it will bring me back to stock, rooted and unlocked? Will it wipe my SD card?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

Great thanks I will do that. I just want to make sure this won't cause any problems since I will be doing the Root66 while ClockworkMod Recovery has already been installed. Unlike the original root instructions which all for doing root66 then ClockworkMod Recovery.

revofev

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site

Is there a way I can have jellybean on my phone now that I've rooted it?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks