[Guide] Root/Unroot/Recovery/Unlock Bootloader for the Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-i535)

Moeroid

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Guide] Root & Recovery for the Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-i535)

you can't use mac to root your phone cause there is no version of odin that support mac.

Poehring

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Guide] Root & Recovery for the Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-i535)

Method 2 step 7. Im stuck on this step.

"Testing superuser...
/system/bin/sh: /system/xbin/su: not found

uid and gid should both be 0.
Are they? <y/n>:"

I have no idea what this means :p Is there an easy way to check this?

Illutian

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I've did some digging, and this appears to be the easiest and most current method. The others may work, but this is confirmed good with VRBMB1 Jelly Bean 4.1.2. Hope this helps.

How To Root ANY Samsung Galaxy S3 4.1.2 & 4.1.1 ? Verizon/AT&T/Sprint/T-mobile/I9300 Version ? Phone Rebel

Hmm. I don't know. I tried following that to root my Verizon and I got the "Your software is not authorized" warning upon bootup...couldn't even get into Recovery had to use Download and restore the ROM to the 'Stock' (4.0.4 I think it was).

Followed every step to the letter. Yes, even the special step for us Verizon users.

I believe my bootloader failed to unlock. But have no idea why.

I'm trying to recall if Verizon pushed out any updates after 4.1.2; like a stealth patch. Because there's no other reason for this to have failed.

gene lewis

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't have access to a Windows box these days, and i'm pretty sure i have seen a guide to rooting and unlocking the bootloader on linux. Can anyone point me to a link, or some info on where to look? Anyone done this using Heimdall instead of Odin?
I have had troubles in the past trying to root using a windows virtual machine on one of my Linux computers.
Verizon GS3, 4.1.2

arkas90

May 16, 2013
Visit site
edit: i have unrooted my phone, but the APN comeback as verizon
and i need to change it
it's possible to root, unlock and then unroot but with apn that remains?

Last edited:

xcpefrmreality

May 15, 2011
Visit site
ive got a question, I just unrooted my sons vzw gs3. in the instructions it says to reset the flash counter, then flash the bootchain via odin, then the stock rom via odin.

I used triange away and it was successful, then i flashed the bootchain via odin and it was successful also ( i unchecked auto reboot and f reset so that i could flash the rom right after the boot chain. Then i tried to flash the rom via odin and it locked up on me. I rebooted into download mode and it finally flashed the rom. the phone is up and running again but when it reboots i see the little unlocked symbol.

how do i relock it? it is obvious that its been tampered with.

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
ive got a question, I just unrooted my sons vzw gs3. in the instructions it says to reset the flash counter, then flash the bootchain via odin, then the stock rom via odin.

I used triange away and it was successful, then i flashed the bootchain via odin and it was successful also ( i unchecked auto reboot and f reset so that i could flash the rom right after the boot chain. Then i tried to flash the rom via odin and it locked up on me. I rebooted into download mode and it finally flashed the rom. the phone is up and running again but when it reboots i see the little unlocked symbol.

how do i relock it? it is obvious that its been tampered with.

bro, you dont even want to go there. cause once you lock the boot loader then yer up crap creek and no paddle.. sure you will gets OTA updates to 4.1.2 but its about worthless. If you lock boot chain you cant do anything much and even then the phone may lock up (bricked) nothing but a piece of junk.. but there is a place to go to rework the phone like it had come ooutta the box.. then yer in over yer head as there isnt any up to date stuff for the 4.1.2 no root, no recovery, and apparently no one gives a crap.. that where i am now.. oh be sure if ya brick it bad.. just go to odin right click and run as administrator.. to get back where you are or beyond. trust me theres not much out there for a 4.1.2 >>> for the 4.2.2 seems to be on the rise and 4.1.2 left in the dust. heres the one file you will have to odin to get outta the brick when you get there .welp i cant paste it but its there look for GEEK and the fix is there.. all of this a taste of the crap I am going through right now...

xcpefrmreality

May 15, 2011
Visit site
bro, you dont even want to go there. cause once you lock the boot loader then yer up crap creek and no paddle.. sure you will gets OTA updates to 4.1.2 but its about worthless. If you lock boot chain you cant do anything much and even then the phone may lock up (bricked) nothing but a piece of junk.. but there is a place to go to rework the phone like it had come ooutta the box.. then yer in over yer head as there isnt any up to date stuff for the 4.1.2 no root, no recovery, and apparently no one gives a crap.. that where i am now.. oh be sure if ya brick it bad.. just go to odin right click and run as administrator.. to get back where you are or beyond. trust me theres not much out there for a 4.1.2 >>> for the 4.2.2 seems to be on the rise and 4.1.2 left in the dust. heres the one file you will have to odin to get outta the brick when you get there .welp i cant paste it but its there look for GEEK and the fix is there.. all of this a taste of the crap I am going through right now...

Thanks for the reply! The unlock symbol is gone when I reboot. We did take 2 otas that brought it up to 4.1.2. But it's all good because the phone is getting replaced anyway because of a bad charging port. New phone will be here sometime this week.

Binary flash counter is back to zero
Firmware is back to "normal"
Unlock symbol is gone
Stock image is installed with no traces of root.
It's ready to go back to Verizon.

Edit... btw, I rooted this gs3 when it had 4.1.2, wonder why you're having problems rooting?

jminds

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know how to flash back to stock using heimdall. My bootloader was locked and I am now softbricked. I dont have access to a windows machine and need to fix phone. Im using a verzon version. Thanks

Matt83

May 31, 2013
Visit site
wanting to root my verizon galaxy S3(SCH-i535) with a mac OS X version 10.6.8. I was looking around and this seems to be the easiest way for a novice but I cant get the links to work to download the 3 files. Can anyone help out a novice at this? this is the files i can't seem to get to. Also will these work on a mac?

Samsung driver- http://tinyw.in/Fdoz
Adam Outler's Casual- Dev-Host - Verizon-GS3-CASUAL-Revision131a.jar - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service
Java JDK- http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...s-1591156.html

magnuma1

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,
Since the last update to the Verizon S3 (v 4.1.2, Build # JZ054K.I535VRBMD3, Kernel v 3.0.31-1121237) has the rooting process changed at all? Can I still follow these instructions?
Thanks,
Mike

Angelo421

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I have tried following the instructions and it did not work for me. I read somewhere (sorry dont remember link) that the method works as long as you DONT accept the new update. Some people have said they lost root in then later applying the update.

thetanman101

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Guide] Root & Recovery for the Verizon Galaxy S III (SCH-i53

Get error404 on the very first download link (the samsung driver). I didn't make it very far at all.

im_sham

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Guide] Root & Recovery for the Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-i53

I also keep getting a fail when trying to root with CASUAL on 4.1.2

I was able to root with motochopper, then used CASUAL to unlock the bootloader. But I think there was an issue cause once I tried to flash CM 10.1, it would get stuck on startup with errors: could not initiate the startup wizard & could not initiate my gapps. I don't know if the download is bad or if it was the root/unlock process. If anyone has a smooth setup for getting this done on Mac please inform me! cheers!

Ezio_Auditore

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I followed all of the instructions for method 3 and I just got done with the last step but when I go to reboot my phone it flashes the samsung logo for a split second then shows samsung galaxy s3 and after that nothing displays. I can here the samsung startup music and the verizon startup tone but nothing is displaying on the screen and haptic feedback is not working when i press back or settings. The only thing that is on (even though the phone is disconnected from the computer) is my led light and its just cycling from blue to light blue over and over again.......help please?

panrrak96

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

Hey, im completely new to all this and just getting the hang of it can you please explain to me whats the difference between method 2 and 3? also why do i need ez recovery and ez unlock ? Much appreciated !

chiadrum

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok this is very bad-
Using ODIN to Unroot... Computer required (PC):
Everything completed just as shown in the video no errors whatsoever but now the phone is permanently stuck at the 4G LTE screen with the flashing rainbow.Please Help!!!

jcteck88

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

Having some issues trying to root my S3..

Step 1 -Setup

Copying files:

Copying su
failed to copy "su" to '/data//local//su' permission denied
copying debudfs"
failed to copy debugfs to /data/local.debugfs permission denied

copying debugfsinput
failed to copy 'deugfsinput' to data/local.debugfsinput : permission denied

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member