Best ROM

kjung7

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the nooby question, but for custom ROMS how does the update process work? If you update a new version of the ROM do you have to set up the phone again (reinstall all apps and widgets) or will those stay?

I'm curious about the Synergy ROM.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the nooby question, but for custom ROMS how does the update process work? If you update a new version of the ROM do you have to set up the phone again (reinstall all apps and widgets) or will those stay?

I'm curious about the Synergy ROM.

Unless the dev says to wipe data in the changelog, you can usually just wipe your cache and dalvik cache and flash the update directly on top.

Buy Titanium Backup and backup your apps beforehand, this way if you have to wipe everything all you'll need to do is redownload TiBU after the fresh flash and restore everything from your SD card.

Sent from my rooted/stock Samsung Galaxy SIII using Android Central Forums

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Synergy 1.4 should be out tonight or tomorrow. Curious to see how it handles in the wild.

I ran 1.3 yesterday and thought I was ok. Not amazing, but getting there. Gonna hang out on stock until something bullet proof comes along.

Sent from my rooted/stock Samsung Galaxy SIII using Android Central Forums

ciniob

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I bought my s3 and rooted it right away. I then installed BeansCustomRom. I've been running it about a week and it has been stable so far.

In fact, my speedtest numbers improved greatly. Could have been I was just under a better tower or something but in general, it seems to run faster.

scottsdca

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I just rooted my phone and was wondering if I install any of these roms, will I have to wipe all my data- texts, apps, photos that are on the phone, etc? Is there a one-step backup app out there? I thought Tibu was for backing up just the apps? Also which Rom is the best for battery life (stock is amazing in itself compared to my other phones).

Thanks,

Scott.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I just rooted my phone and was wondering if I install any of these roms, will I have to wipe all my data- texts, apps, photos that are on the phone, etc? Is there a one-step backup app out there? I thought Tibu was for backing up just the apps? Also which Rom is the best for battery life (stock is amazing in itself compared to my other phones).

Thanks,

Scott.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Yes you need to wipe data when flashing new ROMs... Wiping data when flashing a ROM doesn't touch the internal/external storage so don't worry about pics and stuff, although its always good to have a backup of that stuff just in case. I like using a combo of Titanium and MyBackup.. MyBackup for text messages, call logs, etc..

Battery life normally depends on the kernel, not specifically the ROM itself... if the kernel is undervolted and such. I'm using NoSympathy's stock unzipped and deoxed ROM... haven't tried anything else yet but like you said, the phone already gets amazing battery life so I wouldn't worry too much about if one ROM is better then the other for better battery life.

Kyle L

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
In the instructions it mentions something about kexec recovery/ez recovery is this absolutely necessary if we have cwm and rom manager with nandroid already installed?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I believe kexec recovery is for flashing kernels only.. we don't have the bootloader unlocked so the only way to flash a kernel is through that recovery. It basically runs the kernel right before the phone boots up with the ROM allowing the use of a custom kernel without flashing it to the phone (because of the locked bootloader)

Here's more info on what kexec recovery is: Team Epic: Kexec, and a Proof-of-Concept Source-Built Kernel for the Verizon SGS3

You can use CWM for flashing ROMs.

Reactions: Kyle L

Kyle L

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
In the list of included features it mentions the kernel, so I guess my actual question is do we have to install kexec to be able to flash the rom properly or will it be stable enough with just installing the rom itself...I'm coming from the tbolt and had to unlock the bootloader via sdk so I'm wondering if there is any difference with Samsung

Edit: apologies if my questions may seem redundant

Last edited:

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
In the list of included features it mentions the kernel, so I guess my actual question is do we have to install kexec to be able to flash the rom properly or will it be stable enough with just installing the rom itself...I'm coming from the tbolt and had to unlock the bootloader via sdk so I'm wondering if there is any difference with Samsung

Edit: apologies if my questions may seem redundant

Not sure which ROM you're referring to... if it's Synergy, kernel hasn't been added (coming soon) yet so kexec is not required. The question is answered in the 3rd and 7th post on xda.

Which ROM are you looking to flash?

Edit: I see what you're looking at.. Beans ROM has Imos kernel included which requires a kexec recovery... so yes you need kexec, always follow a Dev's instructions for flashing.
CM9/CM10 (any AOSP ROM) will also require Kexec.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyle L

Kyle L

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Not sure which ROM you're referring to... if it's Synergy, kernel hasn't been added (coming soon) yet so kexec is not required. The question is answered in the 3rd and 7th post on xda.

Which ROM are you looking to flash?

Edit: I see what you're looking at.. Beans ROM has Imos kernel included which requires a kexec recovery... so yes you need kexec, always follow a Dev's instructions for flashing.
CM9/CM10 (any AOSP ROM) will also require Kexec.

Thanks for the clarification... just what i needed

FormerIphoney

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm loving synergy 1.6 so far. Nice customization and speed so far... Oh, and this too
a6f80be1-2b47-6114.jpg

SGS3 production