MAC Root Tool for S3 [Casual for Verizon S3]

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Casual for Verizon S3]:Root, Recover,Flas stock, and unroot

Yes.. but its better to show you ;) go to "Edit" the original post... "Go Advanced".. you'll see the thread title and be able to change it.. Save.

Just keep in mind there's a character limit for thread titles and you may be close to it.

Thanks Cyber! Updated.

AdamOutler

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site

Why even create a thread in the first place if he didn't want to deal with the questions or issues?

The point was to keep information density high. Believe me, its difficult enough trying to find an answer in 30 pages of information.... add in 'didn't work' and all kinds of other things and the information gets watered down.

The thread was started to research and share knowledge. Not answer questions. That's off topic in that thread.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

The point was to keep information density high. Believe me, its difficult enough trying to find an answer in 30 pages of information.... add in 'didn't work' and all kinds of other things and the information gets watered down.

The thread was started to research and share knowledge. Not answer questions. That's off topic in that thread.

I understood the point of the bootloader research thread. It was just a little weird that the app was given its own thread and then removed with no explanation other that "it wasn't meant for public eyes" when it was posted on a public forum. No worries though and congrats on giving Verizon a big FU. And major props on not wanting to make it a big deal (eventhough it's pretty damn huge) and allowing the bounty to benefit the development community. For anyone who hasn't read the xda bounty thread

All donations go to XDA-Developers presence at the Big Android BBQ 2012
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=30276394&postcount=310

scottsdca

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Bootloader Unlocked [Casual for Verizon S3]

Can someone tell me if it is safe to do this if your system shows this build#.....

IMM76D.1535VRALF2

Do you have to do it from a computer or can you do it through the phone's terminal emulator?

Sorry the noob question, just don't want to mess the phone up. Thanks.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

That was release firmware. Currently this method is good up to at least VRALG1 which is what phones purchased shortly after release have. Are you already rooted? If yes, then the custom aboot can be flashed using a terminal emulator with no computer needed (directions at xda). If you're not rooted, then you're going to need a computer.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

The .jar file from Adam seems to work fine in Windows. I only used the option to flash the unlocked aboot but had no issues on Windows 7x64. Has anyone tried to root/unroot on a windows machine with it?

I haven't tried it yet. my phone is too essential lol I usually wait a few days to hear of other experiences....

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Curious - Does anyone know why he recommends Ubuntu over Windows? Does it have to do with Driver support (sometimes they work sometimes they don't)?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

No idea. If I get time later, think I'll make a nandroid, odin back to full stock and try using the app to root and install the unlocked aboot. The program is java based so it runs fine in windows. Could be one of the other options in the drop down that aren't windows friendly so maybe he'll come back and clarify it.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

No idea. If I get time later, think I'll make a nandroid, odin back to full stock and try using the app to root and install the unlocked aboot. The program is java based so it runs fine in windows. Could be one of the other options in the drop down that aren't windows friendly so maybe he'll come back and clarify it.

Thanks, Please post your results.

****BTW, Adam indicated the initial release worked on Windows (as long as you had Java, drivers, and unknown sources checked? On the latest one he does not indicate it works with windows, in fact he recommends Ubuntu over windows.

Reactions: Tomab

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

So maybe I'll hold tight on odin'ing back to stock and trying until I find out the outcome of this. The same guy who created the EZ-Recovery app created an EZ-Unlock app to flash the unlocked bootloader. When asked if it had a relock option, he said

There is no re-lock option yet. It was planned, but it seems like individual phones have unique bootloaders, and flashing anything other than what was already on your phone can cause a brick, so I decided to leave it out for now. Will update once this is resolved.

Also looks like someone tried to use the latest version of the relock using the windows and got the unauthorized software message. The latest version backs up your current one but uses the one halfcab pulled from his phone. He was apparently able to get it back working again by using odin to flash the root66.tar. Trying to confirm if that was all that was required.

AdamOutler

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site

I understood the point of the bootloader research thread. It was just a little weird that the app was given its own thread and then removed with no explanation other that "it wasn't meant for public eyes" when it was posted on a public forum. No worries though and congrats on giving Verizon a big FU. And major props on not wanting to make it a big deal (eventhough it's pretty damn huge) and allowing the bounty to benefit the development community. For anyone who hasn't read the xda bounty thread

xda-developers - View Single Post - [BOUNTY GOAL ACHIEVED] First to Unlock or Patch Bootloader on Verizon Galaxy S III

It was never released in its own thread. It was mentioned on like page 10 or something of the R&D thread. I never released it publicly.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

So maybe I'll hold tight on odin'ing back to stock and trying until I find out the outcome of this. The same guy who created the EZ-Recovery app created an EZ-Unlock app to flash the unlocked bootloader. When asked if it had a relock option, he said

Also looks like someone tried to use the latest version of the relock using the windows and got the unauthorized software message. The latest version backs up your current one but uses the one halfcab pulled from his phone. He was apparently able to get it back working again by using odin to flash the root66.tar. Trying to confirm if that was all that was required.

Yeah, I was just reading up on that as well. I am gathering info as it becomes available, but will hold off for a few days to take it all in. I like to make sure I dot the i's and cross my t's!

Last edited:

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

It was never released in its own thread. It was mentioned on like page 10 or something of the R&D thread. I never released it publicly.

hmm...must've been hot that day because I could've sworn it had its own thread but I see the edited post in the R&D. Or maybe I just got confused by you asking if it should get it's own thread. Either way, the R&D thread wasn't just viewable by developers so anything in there was technically public and was bound to have a large audience. Also saying "This works on Linux, Windows and Mac" was an open invitation for anyone and everyone to try it (including those windows users you dread. :p)

frizo

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site

I'm glad they've made these things as idiot proof as possible for folks like me who are new to the scene.

In the last few days my phone's gone from stock to rooted, unlocked, and now using CM10. It feels good knowing I'm free from bloat from the manufacturer and carrier without bricking it.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad they've made these things as idiot proof as possible for folks like me who are new to the scene.

In the last few days my phone's gone from stock to rooted, unlocked, and now using CM10. It feels good knowing I'm free from bloat from the manufacturer and carrier without bricking it.

The temptation is getting to be more than I can bear! Does this root followed by flashing cwm recovery produce the phone unlocked notice? If I did this then accepted an ota would it bork my phone?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11