MAC Root Tool for S3 [Casual for Verizon S3]

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey, so... this method of using Casual still works for Jellybean? I thought I had heard that it didn't work for JB? i hope i'm wrong!
I tried Casual, but didn't have success. Don't think theres anything wrong with Casual as it was designed for 4.0.4. Nice app though, and good to have experience with another tool. Also tried the script from here How to Root Galaxy S3 on Mac OSX! U.S./Canadian [Only Ice Cream Sandwich] ~ Android Rootz | Source for Android Rooting, ROMS, Tricks and more! It worked great for me on 4.0.4, but as expected it too did not work.
I searched around some tonight, but didn't come across an obvious Mac based option for 4.1.1. Perhaps Mobile Odin will be an option? The Play store description shows this "VZW Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 (unlock bootloader !)", but I don't know if the (unlock boot loader !) comment means that Mobile Odin will unlock the boot loader during its processes, or that the boot loader must be unlocked prior. I'm hoping that the EverRoot option will do this, but need to wade through [2012.11.13][ROOT] Mobile ODIN v3.57 - Page 241 - xda-developers to get a better idea. Maybe some of the more experienced people will have some thoughts on this. The last option that I've considered before is to fire up my Windows 7 VM and just use Windows tools (assuming that USB passthrough works properly). A variant of this last option is to login to the kid's Windows 7 system and just to it that way.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey, thanks for the reply. I started trying to root with my friend's PC. Think one of the steps went awry, but I will try again.

I would love an all Mac way of rooting, it would be handy to have all of the tools on hand.

I tried this method...

[GUIDE] Root for Jelly Bean OTA ***UPDATED 12/25*** - xda-developers

My post is the last one. Funkpod.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Yes, I looked at the OTA method too [GUIDE] Root for Jelly Bean OTA ***UPDATED 12/25*** - xda-developers. Nice to have just the root, custom recovery, and unlocked boot loader. I decided to go for the "No Data Wipe" version of this [GUIDE] Jelly Bean Factory Image (Root/Recovery/Unlocked Bootloader) *UPDATED 12/12* - xda-developers and used my Windows 7 VM. Odin worked great and no issues with USB passthrough (although I did grant exclusive USB access to the VM). As for the recovery, I chose TWRP and had no issues with it other than getting down the correct key sequence, so took a few power cycles. The only other thing I learned is that TWRP appears to like reading from localSD media rather than externalSD. Even though TWRP has mount and file management features, I wasn't able to get to the SuperSU+Bootloader on the externaSD, so moved it from within Android and then back in TWRP was able to execute the flash. If you go with TWRP, it didn't like the file integrity check options enabled so disable those and it works. SuperSU confirmed I have root :)

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I will go with cwm cuz that's what I know from rooting my Incredible.

I am looking at the link you posted. Looks pretty similar to the link I'm using. I'm just having a problem with step 3, but I think I need to restart the process.

How much was your version of Windows?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
You may want to give TWRP a try if CWM continues to have issues. TWRP is touch based, so a nice option for navigating around. Perhaps your CWM download got corrupted, or something went wrong in Step 2? Lets hope it just needs a reflash in Step 3.
As for Windows 7, I've had this VM for several years so unfortunately don't remember the cost. An alternative might be to try a Linux based Hiemdall/Odin, but from some of the posts I saw it was not as easy or successful as compared to the Windows Odin, and Mobile Odin Pro was referred to as the best option for the Mac/Linux user base.

mjonovich1

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Bootloader Unlocked [Casual for Verizon S3]

still haven't found an answer yet...trying to root my gs3 Verizon 4.1.1 on my mac 10.8.2 does anyone even know if there is an option for this? much appreciated for any help!

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't know. I have heard that maybe, maybe someone is working on something. So... I would be patient. Cuz i have no idea when that would be.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Recommend trying Mobile ODIN Pro. I didn't have to use it since I was able to use my Windows 7 VM and Odin to accomplish root (see my post above from Jan 17 for details). If the VM route failed Mobile ODIN Pro was my next plan.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Recommend trying Mobile ODIN Pro. I didn't have to use it since I was able to use my Windows 7 VM and Odin to accomplish root (see my post above from Jan 17 for details). If the VM route failed Mobile ODIN Pro was my next plan.

Can you use mobile Odin pro to root from scratch? Do you need any computers?

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Can you use mobile Odin pro to root from scratch? Do you need any computers?

From what I understand no computer is required. The following detail on the Google Play page says that "Everroot will root firmware while flashing"...
May want to check the XDA page as it might provide more technical details. Please let us know what you find out.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

The .jar file from Adam seems to work fine in Windows. I only used the option to flash the unlocked aboot but had no issues on Windows 7x64. Has anyone tried to root/unroot on a windows machine with it?

From what I understand no computer is required. The following detail on the Google Play page says that "Everroot will root firmware while flashing"...
May want to check the XDA page as it might provide more technical details. Please let us know what you find out.

I'm really confused with the windows thread, I've been trying to root and unlock my GS3 for some time (already bricked one, trying to brick a second one) and when I read the window thread it states THAT YOU MUST BE ROOTED o_O A how to root thread and you have to be rooted before you start....WTF!? Casual on my PC has been a miss, I'm getting failed permissions and files not found when I read the log. :( (Missing the good old Droid X days)

Edit: SUCCESS!!! I had to flash 4.0.4 via Odin for any of the old school hacks to work. Thanks for watching! :p
tavuze6a.jpg

Last edited:

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Still looking for it myself. I have settled that I am just going to have to root via Windows and then un root if I need to via mobile Odin.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech