[GUIDE] [MODEMS] VZW SGS3 (SCH-i535) *Updated 9/28*

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] [MODEMS] VZW SGS3 (SCH-i535)

I still have LF2 on my phone. I have tried the LG1 with no change. A friend of mine bought their S3 two weeks after I did and it came with the LG1 and a kernel date of Jul 2012, where as mine is LF2 with a kernel date of Jun 2012. I chatted with Samsung who said there is nothing newer than the LF2 and said that I needed to contact verizon for the update to LG1. I have emailed Verizon about this and have not heard back yet.

sfobrien

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site

VRLG1 has not been officially released yet. I suggest either waiting for Jellybean or get a custom ROM. I recommend Cleanrom 2.1. It is based on VRLG1

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

I still have LF2 on my phone. I have tried the LG1 with no change. A friend of mine bought their S3 two weeks after I did and it came with the LG1 and a kernel date of Jul 2012, where as mine is LF2 with a kernel date of Jun 2012. I chatted with Samsung who said there is nothing newer than the LF2 and said that I needed to contact verizon for the update to LG1. I have emailed Verizon about this and have not heard back yet.

VRLG1 has not been officially released yet. I suggest either waiting for Jellybean or get a custom ROM. I recommend Cleanrom 2.1. It is based on VRLG1

VRLG1 is official, it's just no official in Verizon's eyes yet and this is not a Jellybean baseband either. It is just updated radios for ICS/TW. Once you flash them they stay on your device and there is no need to re flash every time you switch a ROM.

If you flash a ROM that is based on VRLG1 like sfobrien said then there is no need. CleanROM is an excellent choice and my daily driver.

sfobrien

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site

VRLG1 is official, it's just no official in Verizon's eyes yet and this is not a Jellybean baseband either. It is just updated radios for ICS/TW. Once you flash them they stay on your device and there is no need to re flash every time you switch a ROM.

If you flash a ROM that is based on VRLG1 like sfobrien said then there is no need. CleanROM is an excellent choice and my daily driver.

Thanks for correcting me on the official status. I did mean to say not official for Verizon.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Anyone try the VRLHD radios yet?

Sent from my SGSIII

Not I. Little skeptical to flash them since in the original thread by Invisiblek he stated that its form an ICS ROM and I don't know about that lol. I'll be looking around on the Rootz thread to see how the results are once some people flash it.

rvhighway

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
form an ICS ROM and I don't know about that lol
Hummm? Is there any info about which ROM it's from? Did someone modify the G7 radio, or an earlier one, to make this new HD radio? I'm just wondering if you've read anything because I'm finding nothing about it.

I certainly won't be flashing it until I read some full info on it. For all I know it just an earlier radio build that's been renamed for some unknown reason. Any of the radios, even the first ones, could be this radio since they're all associated with ICS ROMs.

Otherwise, thanks for updating the thread.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Hummm? Is there any info about which ROM it's from? Did someone modify the G7 radio, or an earlier one, to make this new HD radio? I'm just wondering if you've read anything because I'm finding nothing about it.

I certainly won't be flashing it until I read some full info on it. For all I know it just an earlier radio build that's been renamed for some unknown reason. Any of the radios, even the first ones, could be this radio since they're all associated with ICS ROMs.

Otherwise, thanks for updating the thread.

Yea that is why I am skeptical on flashing it. I checked the original thread over on Rootz yesterday and someone flashed it saying that radios are fine, was able to send/receive calls and texts as well as data. I am still waiting to get more results before I flash this. I have had great success with G7 so I see no reason to switch.

Edit: I just checked over on the thread and a couple people have flashed it an used it for a day and have been getting good results or slightly better. A lot of people are saying slightly better signal or the same on G7 modem but 1 or 2 people are saying they are getting better quality when streaming data like on Pandora. Interesting. May have to flash these sometime this coming week to give my impressions.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Flashed the HD radios two days ago. 3G/LTE handoffs seem a bit quicker, but it's tough to say whether the new radios have anything to do with it, or whether it's other factors.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have been seeing mixed results over on the Rootz thread as well. Many people are saying they are seeing minimal or no improvement but some are saying that it gives them slightly faster speeds. However, like Radar, there are a couple people saying their signal got worse. I like how my phone is doing with G7 radios now so I see no reason to switch.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Looking for some information:
1. (Slightly off topic) What's with all of the [Note], [Tip], etc formatting? Does it all make sense when viewed in a browser? Any ideas if the Tapatalk app will be updated to incorporate this functionality?
2. Is there an approved method to flash the radios using ClockworkMod? That's how I used to do it on my HTC Thunderbolt and Incredible - any explanation as to why this phone is different? (Although not a big deal having to use a computer/ODIN, it's just extra 'stuff' involved, and any time there're extra steps involved yours truly will find some way to screw it up :()
3. I have yet to come across a good explanation of why I should unlock the bootloader if I'm just sticking with the stock (rooted) ROM - seems like one more step to potentially bugger up (see previous note about my ability to muck up something simple).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Looking for some information:
1. (Slightly off topic) What's with all of the [Note], [Tip], etc formatting? Does it all make sense when viewed in a browser? Any ideas if the Tapatalk app will be updated to incorporate this functionality?

Yes, you need a browser to read the HTML code properly. If you are using Tapatalk and want to see what I mean, load the thread in your browser and you should see the difference. It makes it look neater and cleaner.

2. Is there an approved method to flash the radios using ClockworkMod? That's how I used to do it on my HTC Thunderbolt and Incredible - any explanation as to why this phone is different? (Although not a big deal having to use a computer/ODIN, it's just extra 'stuff' involved, and any time there're extra steps involved yours truly will find some way to screw it up :()

Do you mean the app ClockworkMod? If so then no I would NEVER recommend that you do that. Too much can go wrong with flashing radios and using a program to do it just adds to what can go wrong. If you mean flashing in a manual recovery then yes you can. The original thread over on RootzWiki have recovery flashable zips.

3. I have yet to come across a good explanation of why I should unlock the bootloader if I'm just sticking with the stock (rooted) ROM - seems like one more step to potentially bugger up (see previous note about my ability to muck up something simple).

You don't need to unlock the bootloader to flash radios with ODIN. I don't know where this is coming from back unlocking the bootloader will give you the ability to flash more ROMs and kernels. The way the phone should have been if Verizon didn't tinker with it. You don't have to unlock it, its all personal preference. If you want to flash something like CM10 or AOKP then you will need to unlock the bootloader, but if you are perfectly content with staying on stock rooted you are fine. If you ever decide to flash a ROM, make sure to find out if it requires that you unlock the bootloader.

Unlocking the bootloader will not "bugger up" your phone unless you personally do something you weren't suppose to.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Responses are bolded above.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!
1. Too bad the Tapatalk app doesn't have an HTML mode - it would be nice to be able to take advantage of the extra formatting. If you're aware of some other app that provides that functionality I'd like to hear about it. On my phone I find using browsers cumbersome and prefer the Tapatalk experience, but all this formatting tends to clutter up the actual information that I'm looking for.
2. Yes, I was referring to flashing the radios using manual recovery - I was just noting that I'm using the ClockWork recovery as opposed to TWRP
3. I'm satisfied with the stock ROM so I didn't see a reason to unlock the bootloader - I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something important

gregurbo1

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
New modem is up found the zip in goo.im. From invisiblek.
I haven't flashed it yet. Waiting till I get home from work.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

gregurbo1

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Well I flashed new VRLHE Modum. Everything seems good. Had my wife call me and everything sounds clear.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1