Did something stupid messed up my phone. Please help.

codyfred85

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I decided to flash a jb rom and for some stupid reason tried to install one that required an unlocked bootloader when I knew I was only rooted....

Well now I can not boot into recovery (I've tried) and can get 2 places:

1) When my phone boots up it goes it says "System software not authorized by Verizon Wireless has been found on your phone. Please turn off phone and go to the nearest Verizon Wireless store for help."
2) Boot into Odin aka downloading mode.

What are my best options? I have a mac (and will someday install bootcamp)

I think Odin is my only hope. I'm downloading the stockverizongalaxys3withRoot.zip and am going to try to install that with Odin.
Anyone know if it will even work?

Any help would be great! Thanks.

codyfred85

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I ended up using Odin to correct the situation. But don't worry, it took me about 5 minutes before I installed a custom Rom. This time I'll make sure my bootloader is unlocked before I try anything again.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Glad you were able to get into download mode. That will always save you. Next time I'm sure you will remember to not get too excited and read the specific roms. Also its no excuse to not have bootloader locked still. There is a app called EZ bootloader unlocker where it literally is one press to unlock the bootloader.

You will want to do this before Verizon sends out a OTA that will encrypt the bootloader again and potentially bricking your phone. You need to find a way to set your phone up where you will never receive any ota updates from verizon. Ti Backup allows you to freeze the program that looks for updates, or you can flash a rom like Synergy to eliminate the OTA updates all together.

Also depending on the rom, some people have been losing their IMEI which makes the phone unusable as a phone. I would back up your IMEI number, esp if your on CM10.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Glad you were able to get into download mode. That will always save you. Next time I'm sure you will remember to not get too excited and read the specific roms. Also its no excuse to not have bootloader locked still. There is a app called EZ bootloader unlocker where it literally is one press to unlock the bootloader.

You will want to do this before Verizon sends out a OTA that will encrypt the bootloader again and potentially bricking your phone. You need to find a way to set your phone up where you will never receive any ota updates from verizon. Ti Backup allows you to freeze the program that looks for updates, or you can flash a rom like Synergy to eliminate the OTA updates all together.

Also depending on the rom, some people have been losing their IMEI which makes the phone unusable as a phone. I would back up your IMEI number, esp if your on CM10.

Regarding these points, see these 3 threads:

[App] EZ-Unlock - Easiest way to unlock your bootloader! - Verizon Galaxy S III Development - RootzWiki

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...k-verizon-otas-post-bootloader-rom-flash.html

[Tutorial] IMEI - Backup NV with QPST - US Variants - Galaxy S III - RootzWiki

If you're not sure about something, ask first before flashing!

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Also, not mentioned in this thread for those new to custom roms. Always wipe data before flashing between stock and custom roms (and even between custom roms) or your device may not get past the boot stage (boot looping).

If you experience boot looping, see if you can boot into recovery. Then wipe data. Once the data partition is wiped, then you should be able to boot up normally. Alternatively, once in recovery, you can do a Restore to a previously made backup (you do have one of those, right?).

If you can't get into recovery, then you must get into download/Odin mode and flash a stock rom.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Always always ALWAYS read the OP/instructions for any ROM you're testing and follow them to a T. You are lucky this was an easy fix, cutting corners could land you with a shiny $200 paperweight!

Sent from my rooted/modded/stock Samsung Galaxy SIII using Android Central Forums

codyfred85

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I was watching Top Gun and had a Mt. Dew so I was all jacked up. Next time I will make sure Twilight and milk substitute my choices. :D